Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-12, 12:00 PM  
videofit

Exercise for bone loss in the hips?

I got a call from one of my aunts and she said she just had a bone scan and, while her spine is fine, she has minor bone loss in her hips and is worried. She won't take pharmaceuticals, takes calcium and walks a lot. I know yoga can help bone loss in the spine but what do you do about hips? High impact is out for her because she has bad feet due to botched foot surgery years ago.
Old 06-16-12, 12:41 PM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by videofit View Post
I got a call from one of my aunts and she said she just had a bone scan and, while her spine is fine, she has minor bone loss in her hips and is worried. She won't take pharmaceuticals, takes calcium and walks a lot. I know yoga can help bone loss in the spine but what do you do about hips? High impact is out for her because she has bad feet due to botched foot surgery years ago.
Deadlifts and squats load up the hips and spine.

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
KarenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-12, 12:45 PM  
kitty12

ankle weights - leg lifts and leg circles
kitty12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-12, 01:04 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty12 View Post
ankle weights - leg lifts and leg circles
Yes, side-lying leg exercises help put muscle on the hips and that should help protect against further bone loss. In Strong Body, Ageless Body Erin O'Brien says these exercises are excellent for post-menopausal women.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-12, 04:04 PM  
Wanda
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Yes, side-lying leg exercises help put muscle on the hips and that should help protect against further bone loss. In Strong Body, Ageless Body Erin O'Brien says these exercises are excellent for post-menopausal women.
So it sounds like the Winsor side leg series should be good choices - both the shortie and the one with the band? IIRC both include leg circles and lifts. I'm going to work them in more often.
Wanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-12, 04:15 PM  
kitty12

This was a link I found some time ago.
http://www.osteopenia3.com/ankle-wei...reatments.html

When I was in PT for my knee I couldn't put the ankle weights on my ankles and my therapist suggested putting them just above the knee which I still do today.
kitty12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-12, 06:05 PM  
bfit

What about walking with a weighted vest? It seems like bearing the extra weight with the hips and lower body would help.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-12, 04:10 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I recommend this book, Yoga for Osteoporosis. I'm hoping SharonNYC pops in, she has actually regained bone density using this program.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-12, 04:32 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
I recommend this book, Yoga for Osteoporosis. I'm hoping SharonNYC pops in, she has actually regained bone density using this program.
Ditto, this is an excellent book!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-12, 10:05 AM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Yes, I gained bone over 2 scans, 2 years apart, as a participant in Dr. Fishman's study re: effects of yoga on bone density (he wrote the book Pat cited). My spine is in great shape, but I had been losing bone at my femoral neck (hip) post menopause. I readjusted my yoga practice to concentrate more on standing poses, per Fishman's recommendations and stopped the traditional weights I had been doing. And I'm seeing increase in density. Yeah! (So is a woman from one of my regular classes who's suffered dramatic boneloss after chemotherapy.)

Karen's suggestion of deadlights and squats might be great for many. Deadlifts hurt my back no matter how I do them and squats (and moving lunges) kill my knees (and neither seemed to be doing anything for my density). I doubt that there's one answer for everyone. A lot depends on your anatomy and general configuration and your body mechanics.

There's a lot of information re: the study on Dr. Fishman's website:

http://www.sciatica.org/yoga/12poses.html
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bone density, bone loss, bone mass, bones, dr. loren fishman, national institute aging, osteopenia, osteoporosis, weighted vest, yoga for osteoporosis