Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-30-12, 10:57 AM  
wookiemouse

Organizing DVDs?

How do you all organize your DVDs? It was easy when I just had a few, but over time I find I'm forgetting some I have (especially in sets) when I'm looking to do a quick 30 min cardio or the like. I'm thinking of making a spreadsheet with the DVD name, type, length, etc, but that still leaves the problem of getting them in one place that's easily accessible while still trying to keep sets together. How do you manage your library to find what you want when you want it?

Completed: P90X, CLX, TF, TF/CLX hybrid (x3), Les Mills Pump, STS (x3), NROLFW, Focus T25, P90X3, Body Beast, Insanity half-grad

Currently doing: Strong
wookiemouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-12, 11:25 AM  
Breezy Trousers

I get rid of all the packaging and store my DVDs in a 300-DVD Case Logic binder. I tuck the Case Logic case in a dresser drawer. When it begins to reach maximum capacity, it's my cue to start selling and trading.

So far, this has worked just fine for me. I hate clutter.
Breezy Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-12, 11:38 AM  
MollyC

I toss everything - packaging, tape measures, any props, bands, or other junk that is included, dietary "advice" and other booklets, and inserts. The only thing I keep is the DVD and I keep those in plastic sleeves in a binder on my bookshelf.

I'm not organized enough to "manage" a DVD collection with a spread sheet. I'm doing good if I can find my keys in the morning. I'd just start tossing workouts if I couldn't flip through them in one binder.
MollyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-12, 11:38 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I keep my most used dvds plus the newest ones on a shelf by the TV. The rest are stored in a closet upstairs. I do not have a list, but am working on one. I do not take them out of their original cases because, in my experience, the discs can get warped that way. I am now much fussier about what I buy, and that makes a big difference. If there is a good storage case out there that would protect the discs. I would definitely be interested.
Old 03-30-12, 11:56 AM  
Pam

I had to do something when my collection reached about 75, now about 450. It was frustrating looking on the shelf a certain DVD. My organization system on the shelf was a mess. I bought colored circle stickers from an office supply and as I get a new workout, I put a green sticker and the nx # on top of binder edge, unless I am adding on to a set and than it gets the same # as the others in the set. Than they are on the shelves in the # order. Have to put clear tape on top of the sticker or else the stickers will come off.

I also have a spreadsheet, so I can remember what I have in each category. One of the columns is the DVD # I have assigned it. Easy to search also to see what I have of Gilad's, etc and than locate. Also for the days I want to stand in front of shelves to decide what to do that day, I use the other color stickers that came in the sticker package, red for cardio, blue for strength, ect and those stickers are on the bottom on the DVD binder. My journal has a page for each DVD to record what weight I used, etc in # order. A little work, but I have found my system to be very useful for me in a lot of ways.
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-12, 12:02 PM  
bubbles76

Good question. I didn't really have much of a system, just one shelf for the ones I used a lot, one shelf for my yoga and bellydance, one shelf for miscellaneous, and one shelf for untried. I really need a new system. I like the colored circles idea. What should the colored circles represent though? Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced? Cardio, Strength, Mix? Short, Medium, Long (time)? Looks like I might have more than one circle per dvd
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-12, 12:03 PM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

This is a good question. I was just looking on Amazon trying to find a multiple disc holder to get rid of the hulking container RKS came in and also the STS Meso 1 I traded for came in the original package (the one that sucks ) before she redesigned the case later on, so I was hoping to find a different multi case for that too.

Anyone got a suggestion for a really decent quality one? I don't want a cheap one and it's hard to tell the quality on Amazon...I don't necessarily trust the reviews on there.
Old 03-30-12, 12:06 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
Looks like I might have more than one circle per dvd
This is the problem I have when categorizing workouts. Many workouts have more than one type of category on it and some DVDs even have multiple workouts on it. How do you categorize the DVDs that don't fit in one neat category?

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-12, 12:08 PM  
kali1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezy Trousers View Post
I get rid of all the packaging and store my DVDs in a 300-DVD Case Logic binder. I tuck the Case Logic case in a dresser drawer. When it begins to reach maximum capacity, it's my cue to start selling and trading.

So far, this has worked just fine for me. I hate clutter.

This is what I want to do. I would love to get rid of the cases or at least put them somewhere that's out of the way. Especially since the storm season is upon us, if I had them in a handy case, I could grab it in a hurry in case I needed to.
kali1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-12, 12:13 PM  
Joanna
VF Supporter

I think I win the prize for most anal of all on this one :-) I rip them all to my computer and play them from there. I use air video to play on my iPad and project onto the tv. On my computer, I can easily organize them in folders by length, instructor etc as I see fit. Some workouts got new life this way. For instance in the ten minute solution series, I can easily playlist a workout with sections from multiple disks :-) And with Leslie, I have ripped them by mile, so that I can combine multiple miles from different disks OR play any one-mile with one of the 5-minute warm-up chapters and get a different workout every time. I have almost 100 20-minute Leslies this way. I can get three or four workouts off one DVD.

As for the disks themselves, I bought some cases which hold 4 disks each and keep them all in there on an out of the way shelf in my closet. That way, I can access them again if I need to but they are out of the way most of the time.
Joanna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
large collection, organizing