Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-08-12, 07:22 PM  
lorajc

Malibu Pilates?

This is on HSN for $299 with free shipping today. Is that a good price?

Anyone have this system with the DVDs and love it? Talk to me please?
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-12, 07:30 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I asked about this a while back. There's a thread or two on this somewhere.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-12, 08:06 PM  
PLS

I do have the Malibu Pilates- I got it off of Craigs list for $75 and I really like it. I don't use it nearly as much as I would like. Too many workouts and too few hours in the day (workout time that is). I would recommend getting the extension handles if you can afford it. The advanced workouts use them and it is hard to do without the handles, I have tried using a pole or being next to a post, neither work well. I am going to order the handles when they are back in stock. Eventually - when I have the handles I want to get my pilates anytime subscription going again, they have lots of workouts for the chair and I thing with the handles I could do them on the malibu pilates. I can't comment on the official price as mine came from CL.
Penny
PLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-12, 03:03 AM  
VainJane

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorajc View Post
This is on HSN for $299 with free shipping today. Is that a good price?

Anyone have this system with the DVDs and love it?
I bought it in December and returned it after a week. I'm a big pilates enthusiast and wanted a low-priced piece of equipment for my apartment. I wasn't impressed with the DVDs at all. Very few form pointers, not much variety, and I just didn't click with Carol as an instructor.

I did some of the Pilates Anytime and Ultimate Pilates workouts with the chair, but wasn't happy with the quality of it. The handles are non-adjustable and awkwardly designed, so it's hard to do step-up, step-down and standing scapular/triceps exercises with it. The spring settings are limited too: only two springs can be used at a time, with two settings each. There was a heavier set of springs included, but you'd have to substitute them completely for the regular set. Doing that mid-workout is too much of a hassle. The pedals are thin and rounded, so it's difficult to do the high half-toe position for footwork and elephant.

I finally bit the bullet and ordered the Stott split-pedal chair. If I want a fully-functional pilates chair, I have to pay for it.

I'm not saying the Malibu system is worthless, but for an authentic, versatile piece of pilates equipment, look elsewhere.

Edited to add: HSN has 30-day return policy and they don't charge return shipping, so you could try it and send it back at no cost if you don't like it (keep the packaging though). Just be aware that you won't get the full functionality of a studio pilates chair and that the instructor doesn't have pilates credentials.
VainJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-12, 08:49 AM  
DachsieDogMom

I bought mine on Craig's List cheap and sold it on Craig's List. I thought it was just OK and it hurt the bottom of my feet.
DachsieDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-12, 11:27 PM  
lorajc

Well...I ordered. I hope I like it. I'm hoping to get some additional DVDs from Balanced Body.
Old 01-10-12, 02:48 PM  
VainJane

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorajc View Post
I'm hoping to get some additional DVDs from Balanced Body.
If you don't mind downloads check out the chair workouts from Ultimate Pilates. They're $3.95 for the shorter workouts and $5.95 for the longer ones. Very good form pointers, and at a fraction of the price of Balanced Body DVDs.
VainJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-12, 03:40 PM  
Marilyn

It hurt my feet too. I had to wear shoes. I don't see how anyone could use it without something on their feet even on the light setting. I just sold mine on Craigslist.
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-12, 07:35 PM  
lorajc

The one that I ordered is the most recent version, the "Pro"....do you ladies know if that is the one you had? Geez....now I'm feelin' a bit sick to my stomach. I hope I didn't make a mistake ordering this. I had to take money out of the bank to order. It's not like I just had $300 to play around with! The hosts on TV yesterday were using the machines barefoot and looked okay.

ETA: I just pulled the picture up on HSN...and the foot pedal is padded. Was the pedal padded on the machines that everyone here is saying hurt their feet?
Old 01-10-12, 07:47 PM  
PLS

I use mine with bare feet and it really doesn't bother me. I adjust my position to my comfort. It took a few times of using it to get used to the peddles/bar. I am getting ready to order the arms. I look at it this way, this is the cheap way to try out pilates equipment, this isn't the same caliber as studio equipment, but if I like it and then I wear it out, then and only then would I invest in the high end pilates chair.

For every piece of equipment there will be a lot of people who hate it and others who love it. But dissatisfied customers tend to tell more people than those who are happy with a purchase. If your purchase was not an impulse buy, but something you have been thinking about for an extended period of time, then it will probably suit you. Just try it out for 30 days and make your decision after that.

Penny
PLS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
malibu pilates