Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-02-10, 05:44 PM  
DejaDeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
Top shelf and part of second shelf is by instructor (Cathe, Firm--I count them all as one--Tony, Karen Voight) because I have a lot of their workouts. Next shelf is kickboxing, step (except for those I have under the 'instructors' category).

It works for me!
My "basic cardio" workouts (i.e., "walking) are on the top shelf, followed by "higher impact" (i.e., kickboxing.) The next shelf is "strength" (workouts that use weights), and the last shelf is toning/stretch/other (i.e., ballet, yoga, pilates.)
Old 11-02-10, 06:26 PM  
Arielle96

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleyann View Post
So how do you go through and sort out the ones you don't use anymore? Do you just know which ones you don't do very often and get rid of those or do you actually go back and redo them to see if you want to keep them...a lengthy process and may lead to days of non-satifying workouts. That's what I'm facing right now. I'm trying to cut down my collection only keep the ones I really like, but some I have not done for a long time so I can't remember what I think of them, like a bunch of old (not super old) Firms which all blend together. That could take me weeks!
I'm actually in the process of doing that. If I haven't done the workout in a long time I watch it again and see if I want to keep it. What I need to do it get rid of the VHS's that I already have on DVD. Of course excluded from that are any of the BBH Firms and all of the Fitprimes. I want them on VHS and DVD!
Arielle96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-10, 06:57 PM  
Charlene
VF Supporter

Never. Have you met my best friend, Denial??

"“Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again , come , come.”

Rumi.

Let the beauty we love be what we do. There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground.
Rumi
Charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-10, 07:15 PM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer R View Post
Wow, you guys are super duper organized. In most other areas of my life, especially work, that's me too. But I've always looked at my workouts as just fun. I've never, ever, done a formal inventory, and I started using videos in 1996.

Hand up for the biggest slacker here!!
Me too Jen! I am super duper organized at school/work, but I have never once done an inventory of videos/audio. I literally have no clue. I can't even guess a range.

On the other hand, I do have an excel spreadsheet of training heart rate ranges, and also NROLW workouts.

But no video inventory.

eta: I also don't even know where they are in the house. Some are down by the entertainment unit in the playroom, some in the living room near the family TV, some in my bedroom bookshelf, and who knows what has been lent out.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-10, 08:05 PM  
mesaana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlene View Post
Never. Have you met my best friend, Denial??
Exactly!!
mesaana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-10, 08:19 PM  
F1mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer R View Post
Wow, you guys are super duper organized. In most other areas of my life, especially work, that's me too. But I've always looked at my workouts as just fun. I've never, ever, done a formal inventory, and I started using videos in 1996.

Hand up for the biggest slacker here!! I also don't log my workouts except with a little jot in a calendar square, although I have those calendars going back at least , er, 12 years.
Whew! I didn't even do that until a few months ago when I started using WOWY to log my workouts, and half the time I still forget to add them.

When I still had all the FIRMs and FIRM-related stuff, I had a simple Word list of all the FIRM workouts produced and crossed each one off with a pen as I acquired new ones. I still ended up with multiples somehow.

But the best inventory method I came up with was to get rid of almost all workouts and limit my space to one small cabinet. When I acquire a new workout or a new system, I'll eliminate something else that's older or that I've never used. Right now I'm purging barre-inspired workouts that I bought and never opened.
F1mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-10, 08:55 PM  
shelleyann

Quote:
Originally Posted by paideiamom View Post
Shelleyann,

When I do a workout for the first time, I will attach a sticky index card to it. I will put the name of the workout at the top (in case they get separated) and then put my impressions of the workout on the card. I will try to do it twice in one week if I liked it. If I don't like it, I will put down why I might not have liked and then try it a week or two later and see if I have the same reaction. If I find I can't do it again, then I just put it to the side. I don't trade often, but I do gift a lot so if I see someone wanting something I didn't care to do twice, I just send it on.

Since I buy a lot of used workouts, it helps to know I actually did a workout, not that it is just opened because it was used. There are some workouts I would have sworn I never used, but then the sticky index card tells me otherwise, for better or worse.
That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for sharing. I actually do sticky notes now to write down the date I did the workout and it only gets put back in if I like it. When I get "new" ones in (often bought used) then I sort of do your system. But my problem is that i had acquired so many that I wasn't necessarily crazy about or my interests have changed and I just kept everything. So now I'm trying to go back and wean them out and keep only what i love and don't dread. BUT...I feel like I should do them again before giving them away and it is taking me an agonizingly long time. I just want to get to the ones i really like . Thanks so much for sharing your ideas...
shelleyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-10, 08:56 PM  
afirmrose

I keep an inventory of my workouts in Word.

-----------------------------------------------
"Oxygen is free. Breath it in!" Jennifer Galardi DOTI Hip Hop Party

"A 30-minute workout is just 2% of your day. No excuses." Clubz

Lisa Shaffer 2013 10,000 Kettlebell Swing challenge completed.
afirmrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-10, 08:58 PM  
shelleyann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
Top shelf and part of second shelf is by instructor (Cathe, Firm--I count them all as one--Tony, Karen Voight) because I have a lot of their workouts. Next shelf is kickboxing, step (except for those I have under the 'instructors' category).

It works for me!
Totally makes sense. Thanks for explaining it. That is a pretty cool idea actually because I do have some like Debbie Siebers or Prevention (Chris Freytag) or even Tony where I would like to keep them altogether. Thanks!
Old 11-02-10, 09:03 PM  
shelleyann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arielle96 View Post
I'm actually in the process of doing that. If I haven't done the workout in a long time I watch it again and see if I want to keep it. What I need to do it get rid of the VHS's that I already have on DVD. Of course excluded from that are any of the BBH Firms and all of the Fitprimes. I want them on VHS and DVD!
Okay, another really good idea...I'm learning so much here! So you can tell just from watching? And you don't fast-forward? I get impatient and tend to fly through x4 or x8 speed and then I'm really not sure what I thought of it or I'm up next thing pseudo-doing the workout in regular clothes. If I was only trying to get rid of a few it wouldn't be a big deal, but I have them from ages ago and need to cut down quite a bit. Oh well, I'll try all these ideas and get through. It's easy with new ones, I just decide right off the bat what I think, but it's the "oldies" that are grieving me.

Tags
burglary, inventory, large collection, organizing