Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-10, 05:41 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

your workout collection - how often do you inventory it?

in the past 3 weeks, i've seen titles of workouts discussed on VF and wondered whether i already had it or not.

i suppose if you trade a lot, you'd have a good idea of what's in your collection. since i'm not too active with trading, that means i'm acquiring (also not a good sign).

i have an excel spreadsheet that is at least 2 years old. i started doing an inventory after a burglar took around 10-15 of my workouts.

i have my workouts stored in a separate closet in small bins. i generally know what i have, but as time goes on, i can't keep track of them in my mind!

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-10, 05:50 PM  
RedPanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
i started doing an inventory after a burglar took around 10-15 of my workouts.
That's kind of odd - but I guess burglars need to keep fit.

I have all my workouts catalogued in an ever-growing Excel spreadsheet. I keep many DVDs in double-DVD boxes and tend to forget about them when I can't see them.

My workout database is invaluable when I'm making up rotations. I list all the times, including the premixes, and tick off the workouts I've done. It's also handy for helping me to remember "bonus" or extra workouts in DVDs I may otherwise forget about.
Old 11-01-10, 06:21 PM  
Season

I have an Access database that I log all of mine in (over 300 now) I'm pretty sure I got it here on VF from some kind soul. I can put in the type of workout, running times etc. (but I don't go that far; just company name (Firms) name of the dvd and name of the instructor. I print a query occasionally and keep a copy in my purse so I don't duplicate. Whenever I get new ones, I log them immediately before putting them on the shelf so I don't forget.
Season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-10, 07:39 PM  
Arielle96

I have an ongoing inventory that I update whenever I buy something new. I keep it organized on an Excel Spreadsheet.
Arielle96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-10, 10:53 PM  
Gymmie

Yup I do. There are only a few that I know what I have as I have everything by them but the rest I'd have no clue. I add when I get something new. When I was creating it I was all "oh I have that workout? Had no clue!" Still need to do my virgins
“Think about Corey. Right at the finish line and his body gave up after one mile. You’re looking at yourself and if you have 100 plus pounds to lose, your body wants to be healthy.”--Bob Harper on Contestant Corey Pinkerton TBL10

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.

Beachbody Coach
Gymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-10, 01:08 AM  
ramonam

I have a lot of DVDs as well as books and wanted to inventory them all for insurance purposes, so went high tech. I downloaded the Movie Collector and Book Collector from Collectorz.com and bought a scanner.

Now, when I get a new DVD (or book) I can either enter it manually by ISBN or scan it. The program searches the internet and finds the info, including front cover. Sometimes the cover isn't found, but they have a search tool for that, too.

Once the title is in, you can do multiple disks -- useful for Cathe, for example, as well as personal information -- # of stars, seen/not seen, etc...

I LOVE it!
ramonam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-10, 01:18 AM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

Wow, you guys are super duper organized. In most other areas of my life, especially work, that's me too. But I've always looked at my workouts as just fun. I've never, ever, done a formal inventory, and I started using videos in 1996.

Hand up for the biggest slacker here!! I also don't log my workouts except with a little jot in a calendar square, although I have those calendars going back at least , er, 12 years.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-10, 04:08 AM  
PhyllisG

My workouts are on open shelves in my home office where I also work out. The old Firm VHS's are on the top shelf where I have to climb up to reach them and all my current ones are on the eye level shelves. I can see everything in a glance. I am also pretty good at weeding out what I have not been using and then I trade or sell them. They are grouped as to instructor, yoga/fusion/barre, step, miscellaneous.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-10, 05:09 AM  
cardio.junkie

I also keep track of them. I use Raquel's Workout Log and Library. I LOVE that program. It was a ton of work to get them in there, but now they are there. Love it!!
cardio.junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-10, 05:32 AM  
Sarah-lara
VF Supporter

I don't like to keep over 50 DVD's. Whenever my list on the exchange hits one of the last pages, I update it and go through my DVD's then. (Not that I have much to trade at the moment; I gave about 25 away this year because I was tired of looking at them and they didn't fit in the pretty box I bought )

Tags
burglary, inventory, large collection, organizing