Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-10, 01:02 PM  
chrisqan

i have 100+ dvds, but because my 10 shelf dvd tower still have space, im not weeding yet, but nowadays i don't just buy impulsively, i ask myself "is this tower space worthy?". so even though its not full, i have less desire to fill it.
chrisqan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-10, 01:06 PM  
MM-Om

I have about 100 now and don't have much space left, although I am becoming very creative and am moving my clothes from the closet to accomodate more DVDs. There has to be a limit, right?
Old 05-20-10, 01:26 PM  
Taiga

I have a small shelf in my workout area which in total allows about 8-10 DVDs/VHS. I keep the rest of my collection (including most vhs) in a few boxes in the basement. I've never counted and really have no idea how many I have (2 apple boxes worth if that helps ). By keeping a large collection and separating it into smaller chunks, I find that I use almost everything and enjoy myself more. Whenever I feel a strong "itch" , I rotate in a new set so I still get "novelty" without repeated spending or collecting.

I totally relate to the "too many choices" dilemma. I tend to "attach" more to the programs when I have only a small, set number to use. I think of it much like the suggestion for limiting a child's toys (keep only a few out, hide the rest away and then rotate them slowly over time). This allows me to "invest" totally in the program without feeling the need to move on before the joy of mastering and appreciating. When I hear people talk about how ecstatic they were with the $50 Firm tapes, I often think it's because the limited choices made them even more special. There's a kind of "bonding" that goes on when you give yourself the chance to really get into a program and learn it completely. In a strange way, this familiarity breeds a kind of "friendship" for me.

I love having a larger "library" of exercise choices stored away and I make no apologies. It's my hobby and I thoroughly enjoy revisiting and reorganizing my gems . It also saves me a lot of money in the long run because I have put together a well-rounded collection over the years. I very rarely buy anything these days (nothing new this year) because I can still rotate out in batches if I want a different focus or need to train for an event (summer cycling etc). At some point, it's all just Barbie in a different outfit so having a good base set really limits my temptation for new purchases. I do still trade occasionally because I like sharing the excitement with other Vfers and can participate in that with very little spending (or the need for extra storage).
Old 05-20-10, 01:38 PM  
boakley
VF Supporter

Apparently, if I have one, it has not yet been reached. I just ordered 2 from Mary

Beth

Tom Petty
boakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-10, 01:40 PM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

I have tons of storage (especially since I just bought two huge bookshelves at a school garage sale last month) so I don't feel the need to get rid of stuff.

I generally buy used, not new. I like having a large variety so if somebody is raving/disdaining about a workout, I can find something in my collection this is similar to or by the same instructor and I can do it and "feel the flavor." I also like cheesy and don't mind getting cheesy VHSes just for the fun of having the cheesy VHS.

"Moderation is remembered only after the deed is done." Mirabelle Watkinson, fabulous writer in residence.

"I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it." Edith Sitwell

Words matter.

I thought I had seen it all. Then I tried on my bathing suit. (Unknown sage at craft show)
paideiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-10, 02:04 PM  
RedPanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usia View Post
How funny! Just this morning I was looking at my 2 shelving units in my workout room and was thinking - I need to buy another one for my fitness dvds! I now have over 400 dvds, and for some reason, it didn't occur to me to weed out my collection, but rather to buy another shelving unit to store my upcoming purchases!
Buying more shelving makes perfect sense to me [slinks off, handing Vidiot's Anonymous card in at the door]

Old 05-20-10, 02:16 PM  
IvysMom

after opening this thread, i couldn't find one of my dvd cases & had to go around looking for it. i have to go count--i know i'm on the upper limit of how many i can handle before it's too overwhelming.

eta: only 56 cases. some of those cases have multiple workout discs though.
IvysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-10, 02:28 PM  
sherry7899

This thread inspired me to list three dvds onto swap a dvd.com One has been requested already.

If anyone is looking for Tracy Mallett's Quick Blast Methods dvds-I posted both of them

I'm still trying to convince myself to get rid of my ramp and ramping dvds, but I haven't been able to get myself to do it.

Sherry
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-10, 02:36 PM  
ARTmethodfan
VF Supporter

For me 40 feels like too many but 30 not just enough. So my limit is somewhere in that range. When I start to get close to 40, I get antsy about the feeling of excess. "Do I really need that much?" plays over and over in my head.

At the beginning of the year, I was buying/trading/selling a lot in an effort to make sure I have the workouts that will keep me motivated. Recently though, I've found that what I have suits me. This is about 25 or so cardio/circuit DVDs where I really like to have variety, 3 strength DVDs because I don't really need variety there and 5 yoga DVDs which I really love so I don't feel the need for more.
ARTmethodfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-10, 02:56 PM  
andtckrtoo

Oh, my husband certainly wishes I did, but alas, my attention span is too short. I need variety and a lot of it. I'm seriously rotationally challenged, but I have a great time breaking up sets and doing the workouts my way. I have sold many workouts on Amazon, the ones I know for sure I'll never do again. But I have sold workouts only to buy them back when I get the itch for them. *rolls eyes*
andtckrtoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hoarding, large collection, vidiocy