Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-20-10, 11:33 AM  
leslie w
VF Supporter

I don't have a number limit, though I would like to get rid of a lot of my VHS.

I have reached my Cathe limit though!
leslie w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-10, 12:02 PM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

Well, my limit seems to be the capacity of the shelf they're sitting on without putting any in front of others or on top of...so I have too many. I really need to clear out... but so far I've only traded some away and that means getting something back. But I don't trade for anything I don't really want. I have a sale list up at the Yayas but I'm scared to go over there and no one seems to want what I have (not even my Cathe's )!!! But some of these are going to have to find new homes...
Old 05-20-10, 12:02 PM  
DachsieDogMom

I joined a year ago and I think I had 5 dvd's. Today I have 50 and 2 set's( CLX and BBL).
DachsieDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-10, 12:14 PM  
Swifty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibhinn View Post
Yes - I am increasingly realizing that I have a much lower limit than I realized, and apparently much lower than many VFers. If I get past 40 or 50 DVDs I start to get really antsy. This is partly because I find a huge amount of choice of workouts overwhelming. I am currently in the process of trying to thin down my collection because I have recognized that the fewer workouts I have, the more I use them. When I get too many, sometimes I will have such a hard time deciding what to do, that I will wander away and do nothing, or I will have nagging doubts that I did the right workout for today.

For anyone interested, Barry Schwartz is a pyschologist who has done research on why having a lot of choice may be a bad thing, for certain people anyway. Here is an article he wrote in Scientific American called The Tyranny of Choice. It's posted on his website, so a legal download. I found it useful for understanding why more workouts might not be better for me.
I second your thoughts!!
Old 05-20-10, 12:20 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Barry Schwartz also wrote the excellent book The Paradox of Choice, which I reviewed on Amazon here:
http://www.amazon.com/review/R1N1VSN..._res_rtr_alt_1

desderata, I think it's likely that someone would still be interested in your DVDs without the cases/artwork if you offered them for Share the Wealth. Just be sure to specify "will send in a plain CD [or DVD] case/no artwork available," and see what you get!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-10, 12:38 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

How funny! Just this morning I was looking at my 2 shelving units in my workout room and was thinking - I need to buy another one for my fitness dvds! I now have over 400 dvds, and for some reason, it didn't occur to me to weed out my collection, but rather to buy another shelving unit to store my upcoming purchases!
Usia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-10, 12:38 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Alison,
I don't think it's "weird" at all. In fact, a very good policy, and a way of avoiding the clutter problems some of us now have! (Actually, I don't have that much clutter, as my DVD's are--mostly!--in a three-shelf bookcase, but with two layers on each shelf, and some DVD's stacked horizontally on top of the other layers!)

As for whether I have a limit: evidently not, since I now have (again!) over 200 DVD's (and at least that many in boxes to be someday put up on Ebay to sell). Perhaps my limit is 1000 square feet of space (my house!)

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-10, 12:40 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibhinn View Post
For anyone interested, Barry Schwartz is a pyschologist who has done research on why having a lot of choice may be a bad thing, for certain people anyway. Here is an article he wrote in Scientific American called The Tyranny of Choice. It's posted on his website, so a legal download. I found it useful for understanding why more workouts might not be better for me.
There is a French expression--"l'embarass du choix"--that fits the situation as well!

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-10, 12:42 PM  
kauaigirl

Location: Wisconsin. But I'll always be a Michigan girl at heart!
I have seven DVD binders (and not the small ones!) full of DVDs, plus at least another 70 or so in cases in my basement. So, in brief, no, I have no limit.
Old 05-20-10, 12:51 PM  
Sassy
VF Supporter

I don't really have a limit because I know I go in phases. It doesn't bother me if my dance videos (for example) go unused for a few months because I can pretty much count on the urge to dance coming around again.

I have a set of shelves that most of them live on, and a small rack that sits on the table by the TV that holds about.....30? Maybe?

I have several VHS that are on their way out though - or that I intend to replace with DVD as money permits (FIRMs) (And think - the space a VHS takes up will fit nearly TWO dvds!!)

I think my limit is likely to be spacially determined - I won't allow myself to have more videos than I can SEE. If I start doubling up or boxing things away, then I'll have hit the wall.

"The only difference between the saint and the sinner is that every saint has a past and every sinner has a future." ~~~Oscar Wilde
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hoarding, large collection, vidiocy