Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-10, 08:56 AM  
alisoncooks

Do you have a vidiot limit?

When joined VF 8 (or so) months ago, I had 2 exercise dvds. T-W-O, two.

In these 8 mos. my collection has grown quickly. My highest has been about 45. However, this is what I find: Once my little 3-drawer end-table is filled (fits about 30), I start to get antsy. I start to get uncomfortable. I start to purge. At only 30!

So obviously, I am in the minority here with such a small limit. Though truth be told, I have purged and peaked (then purged again), multiple times. I am currently just recovering (i.e. in the building phase) from another purge.

Do you have a limit? A certain # that you cannot go past? A shelf that you cannot overfill? Or am I just the weird one?
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-10, 09:00 AM  
mtnmom

My designated fitness DVD shelves have a capacity of about 110 DVD cases. That's if they are all lined up vertically as they should be. If I go over that limit, then I have to lay the new ones horizontally across the vertical ones and that seems messy to me. So 110 is my limit. If my shelves start looking messy, I have to purge.
Old 05-20-10, 09:33 AM  
Peggy T
VF Supporter

It used to be 100.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Peggy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-10, 09:37 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Unfortunately, I clearly don't have a limit. I have them lined up 3 deep on my shelf, which is kind of silly because it's so hard to see the ones in the third row. I also have the little horizontal piles on top of the veritical rows. Clearly a problem. I wish I did have the purging urge when it reached a certain amount, but so far I don't.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-10, 09:41 AM  
cpcathy

I'm at my limit now. My shelves won't hold anymore. I got rid of about eight or ten videos and gave them to my friend who is always hinting about them. Now I have the new Mari Winsor set on order and frankly, hope they all come in one DVD case.

Nobody Said It was Easy.... --The Scientist
cpcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-10, 09:50 AM  
Eibhinn

Yes - I am increasingly realizing that I have a much lower limit than I realized, and apparently much lower than many VFers. If I get past 40 or 50 DVDs I start to get really antsy. This is partly because I find a huge amount of choice of workouts overwhelming. I am currently in the process of trying to thin down my collection because I have recognized that the fewer workouts I have, the more I use them. When I get too many, sometimes I will have such a hard time deciding what to do, that I will wander away and do nothing, or I will have nagging doubts that I did the right workout for today.

For anyone interested, Barry Schwartz is a pyschologist who has done research on why having a lot of choice may be a bad thing, for certain people anyway. Here is an article he wrote in Scientific American called The Tyranny of Choice. It's posted on his website, so a legal download. I found it useful for understanding why more workouts might not be better for me.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-10, 09:57 AM  
sherry7899

I need to put a limit on what I have...some days I end up not doing anything because I can't even pick something to do! That's really pathetic I get totally overwhelmed by choices.

I've repeatedly gotten rid of tons of workouts, yet I still have so many left.

Sherry
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-10, 10:00 AM  
red1013

My 5-shelf bookcase is almost full (room for probably 10 more DVDs). I really need to start getting rid of some, especially the VHS titles.
red1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-10, 10:06 AM  
KathAL79

I do, sort of. I use plastic crates stacked on their ends for shelves, and each genre has its own crate (more or less - a few spill over into two). That determines how many I can have of each type of workout; if a crate is full and I get a new one, one has to go to make room. Right now I'm under capacity for all but one type of workout, but even so I've been doing some cleaning out.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-10, 10:07 AM  
jessicavi

I don't remember how much I had when I joined VF in 2003, maybe about 15. I think it was just Classic FIRMs, a few BHH era FIRMs, and BSS1. When I got to 30 vids (all VF fault of course), I decided I didn't want to have more than a month's supply of vids to rotate thru. That way I won't have to repeat a vid for a month. A few years later I was at 60 and still felt it was ok b/c I could now not repeat a video for two months. Now I have 75 videos and have no justification besides I've got two months worth and some spares. I am completely aware that this logic is bogus b/c frankly, I don't work out 30 days a month. I am completely shameless. But I am still kinda open to more kettlebell videos w/ good moves and music by female instructors--very rare right now. I almost caved and deviated from that when Steve Cotter's Extreme KB was 50% off. But the voice of reason asked me if that set fit what I want from my next kbell video and I had to say no. Plus, it appeared the shipping was outrageous and it was 4 DVDs. I don't understand why they don't put these short w/o's on 1 DVD? Hello, less clutter!!! and I would have been able to count it as just one w/o bringing my total to only 76 workouts, one more than my limit of currently 75. Enough for 2.5 months w/o repeating.

ETA: So I started telling myself yesterday, I don't really need more kbell w/o's, it's ok for a vidiot to work from paper sometimes. Really, it's ok. I've gotta stick w/ this so I can keep my collection manageable. Paralysis by analysis may have done me in today b/c I didn't work out and I have no excuse for why not b/c I had time for at least 30 mins.
jessicavi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hoarding, large collection, vidiocy