Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-19-10, 09:34 AM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

I just wanted to add that a couple clips of her workouts can be viewed at www.collagevideo.com. They now carry "All My Best" and "Fight Age With Strength!" " Exercise:A Video From the National Institute on Aging" has been at collage for a while now.

Also, the only video from Margaret's website that she has clips up for is "Fight Age With Strength!" It was first aired on QVC last year, so that may be the reason we can view it?

If you search www.youtube.com you can also find various samplings of a few of her workouts, or a couple that were only of her PBS shows.

I did a search for her shows that are currently airing on some PBS stations throughtout the country, and a few states are airing the 1700 series. These were filmed in the mid to late 1990's, and have some beautiful locations of Margaret in Acapulco, in Florida, etc. I posted a list on another recent Margaret thread!

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-10, 02:07 PM  
workoutjunkie

Pam - wow! Thanks for all the helpful info!! I'm glad you saw my post since you had a lot of info to share. Thanks for taking the time to do so.
workoutjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-10, 04:53 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

You're very welcome, workoutjunkie! Can you tell I'm a big fan of Margaret's?

I will mention that she's not for everyone. Many of her workouts are very dated, but she's been around a long time! Her form pointers are awesome, as is her attention to detail!

I never was one for floorwork, until I started working out with her, and now I find it very relaxing (even while feeling the burn!)

Margaret's personality is very low key, and she often tells corny jokes, or starts talking to the background exercisers to keep your mind off the pain! Or, when she's outdoors she talks about the birds and leaves around her!

She's amazing, but again not everyone's cup of tea!

Current Rotation:
Old 05-19-10, 05:24 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Strong and Limber for Life 1997!

I just did the mainly Upper Body section of this workout today, and thought I'd mention it here. In that section she works pectorial, triceps, biceps, glutes/hamstrings along with a brief warmup and cooldown. She uses dumbbells (and a weighted bar for the tricep exercises) with varied pulses, tempos, etc.

There are two thirty minute strength segments filmed indoors with Margaret by herself. Margaret calls the backdrop her "Mediterranean Villa" which looks like a backdrop you might see at a school play, or something you'd see on PBS?

I really enjoyed the music is this, as parts have a Spanish guitar playing softly in the background. I find that very relaxing.

The thirty minute stretch segment is filmed outdoors on a patio with white railing and you can see the water/beach off in the distance! It's has a very Cape Cod/New England feel to me, though my guess is that she's in Florida. With parts of the stretch segment Margaret uses a stretch out strap that is a unique strap (having loops about every foot along the strap!) It works great for foot/hand placement, but any yoga strap could substitute. I liked using the strap as it provides a greater range of motion/flexibility with it!

A nice workout, with Margaret providing form pointers along the way, and again looking very fabulous! I'll have to try the mostly lower body section tomorrow (abs, inner/outer thighs, back, and calves!)

Current Rotation:
Old 05-19-10, 09:04 PM  
videofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam61 View Post
Margaret calls the backdrop her "Mediterranean Villa" which looks like a backdrop you might see at a school play
I call that her Tropicana nightclub set. At any moment during the workout, I expect to see Ricky Ricardo walk out playing his conga drum, singing Babalou!
Old 06-05-16, 10:34 AM  
spotted zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam61 View Post
I’ve made a list of Margaret’s workouts from earliest to most recent. Maybe this will help?!

1988-1993---The Classics (Home Improvement, Body Electric, Forty and Fabulous, and High Voltage!)
1988---Home Improvement
1990---The Body Electric workout
1991---Knockout (VHS only)
1992---Forty and Fabulous
1993---High Voltage
1994---Perfect 10 Volumes One and Two
1996---Getting Better (VHS only)
1996---Muscle and Grace
1997---Sculpture Upper and Lower Body
1997---Strong and Limber for Life
1998---Give Me Strength
2000---Beauty to the Bone (Volumes One and Two)
2000---Raising the Bar (out-of-print VHS)
2000---Exercise:A Video From the National Institute on Aging (available at Collagevideo)
2001---All My Best (Volumes One and Two)
2004---Fitness Becomes You
2005---Triple Threat
2006---Unplugged 1900 series
2006---Good ‘n Strong
2007---Unplugged 2000 series
2009---Fight Age With Strength
2010---All My Best (Volumes Three and Four)

Both “All My Best” workouts contain parts of other Margaret workouts from her early years to some of her later years. Contains a good variety/sampling if dated clothing/hairstyles don't bother you!

The "Classics" are a nice collection of Margaret's earliest years!

"Fitness Becomes You" contains six twenty minute workuts, has music with a Spanish flavor.

"Give Me Strength" contains a 45 minute “aerobic” segment

"Perfect 10" celebrate's Margaret's first 10 years on PBS!

Triple Threat, the Unplugged series, Good 'n Strong, and Fight Age With Strength (filmed outdoors in Margaret's Backyard!)

Muscle and Grace and Strong and Limber for Life include 30 minutes of stretching, but only 60 minutes of Strength. Limber comes with a workout strap! Stretch workout of Muscle and Grace was filmed in Acapulco!

"Home Improvement" is probably some of her toughest floorwork!

"Sculpture" or "Triple Threat" are probably her toughest upper body work! Triple Threat has beautiful Fall foliage!

"Good 'N Strong" uses a small ball, and has some unique exercises that aren't the same old thing, making it fun and similiar to the unplugged workouts.

"Fight Age With Strength" uses isometric moves and lot's of pulses (rather than weights) to work the muscles differently. A small ball is also used. Probably an easier Margaret workout.
Reviving this thread to say thanks so much for all the helpful information! This was exactly the kind of info I was looking for to help me decide what to order during the current sale. Fortunately for us the VHS-only programs are available on DVD now too. Thanks Pam. And to everyone else for their input too!

It looks like in the last 6 years these are MR's additional DVDs along with Getting Better and Raising the Bar:

- Good for You
- The Spark
- Maggie (Body Shaping (1985), Knockout (1991))
- My Body of Work (contains parts of Strong & Limber, Beauty To the Bone, Fitness Becomes You, Good 'n Strong, Triple Threat, & The Spark) - picking up where All My Best left off +

- My Body of Work Unplugged (contains parts from Unplugged 1900 and 2000 series).
spotted zebra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fight age with strength, good 'n strong, margaret richard, margaret richard history, muscle and grace, national institute aging, triple threat