Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Clothing, Shoes, Equipment, Gear

Old 08-25-02, 04:13 PM  
ElizabethS
VF Supporter

TG Videos

The only tape that I have right now that is a complete workout and not just showing the type of workout you can do is the one by Rosalie Brown, can be found at QVC for about $17(just do a search for TG), it is 23 minutes and it is very thorough I have to do a review of it soon. I just got it last week and loved it. My upper body was thorughly worked. I liked the fact that she kept the equipment changing to a minimum. The only thing I couldn't do with my cheap one was the tricep dip ( I don't have the attachment) so I got off the TG and did them off a chair. She does all rep.
On the TG website there are a lot more videos listed and I may breakdown and buy one, but Barb seems to indicate that the B, I & A are instructional, so I have to cross those off the list.
My TG stays down all the time it really doesn't take up that much space since it is quite narrow.
Play it again sports always have them and you can go to any sporting goods store at least to try a cheap one out before you buy.

Elizabeth
ElizabethS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-04, 10:25 PM  
NeedsToDoIt

Just dusting off this oldie from two years back..........because I'm curious if anyone has some recent feedback on using a "Total Gym" that they might be willing to share. Every time I see one on QVC lately, I start to think that maybe it would be a good thing to have on the wish list.

Anyone using one today?
NeedsToDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-04, 10:54 PM  
LCC
VF Supporter

Well, it's not all that recent, but my last experience with the Total Gym was attempting to drag it's large, heavy, ugly carcass out to the garage (with much help from a dog who seemed to think this activity looked REALLY fun) and (even though I had tied a strap around the stupid-@#$# thing because I knew about this particular design flaw from prior experience), it flopped open about 1/2 way down the sidewalk and almost broke my left ankle.

Considering that I had almost broke my right ankle when a cat decided to help me do step right in the middle of Cathe's "flying angels" a couple of days before that, it made for a really unpleasant week or so and I do NOT have fond memories of the Total Gym.

And, on a related sour note, are those infomercials 10 years old or is Christy Brinkley not aging at all?

Laura (LCC)
LCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-04, 04:29 AM  
Marie1120
VF Supporter

I had looked into buying one and when talking to someone they mentioned reconditioned, returned ones that they offered me for much less. Maybe mention your concern regarding the price and if they have any of these.
Marie1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-04, 08:12 AM  
PamelaP

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedsToDoIt
Just dusting off this oldie from two years back..........because I'm curious if anyone has some recent feedback on using a "Total Gym" that they might be willing to share. Every time I see one on QVC lately, I start to think that maybe it would be a good thing to have on the wish list.

Anyone using one today?
I have an "exact replica with a different name" (Brenda Dykgraf's knockoff of the TG) and found it pretty limited for where I was at the time. I outgrew the leg work quickly, even with both resistance bands and the highest incline, and I found it somewhat awkward for upper body work. Now that I'm a re-beginner it might be useful for leg work, but I haven't taken the time to dig it out of its corner in the basement.

I think it's like any piece of equipment, really. It might hit you just right and you'll love it and use it for years, or it might quickly become a clothing rack.
PamelaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-04, 09:38 AM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

I have one that I used a couple of times and never really got into (I'm not a "machine" type person). It's one of those basic ones, and I got it primarily to do pull-ups with.

If anyone wants a 3 year old (maybe?) barely used Total Gym (cat hair may be included), I'd be very glad to get rid of it for the cost of shipping (which may be quite high, since I have to find and buy a box to fit it in). Just pm me.

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-04, 09:41 PM  
NeedsToDoIt

All very interesting feedback - thanks all!
Old 09-12-04, 11:36 PM  
rhbrand

I have one, and have not used it in a long time.
It was to bulky to get out all the time, and way to bulky to leave up in our small house.

It gave me a great upper body workout, but did nothing for me on the lower half. Now mine was one of the first models. I bought it several years ago. Almost 7 year ago, I think.

I think the newst ones have optional weight bars where you can put plate weights on and make squats much harder.
Old 09-13-04, 07:01 AM  
NeedsToDoIt

I saw that - the plate option - and that's what got me interested.
Still sounds like a "pass" based on what ya'll are saying.
Old 09-14-04, 09:43 AM  
ras8779

I've owned the Brenda Dygraf one as well as the lower model TG. The Ultra Glide is the Brenda Dygraf model but she doesn't sell these anymore however some are still available on Ebay. My son who plays football uses it everyday and you can tell the difference. He comments on how he notices a difference in his body every time he uses the machine consistently. It is excellent for his upper body but he does traditional squats for his legs. I find that it works my whole body just fine. I actually was thinking of upgrading to the QVC TG which I believe looks like an awesome machine for the price plus the newer TG has an easier way to change the resistance by just pulling a pin and raising it up or down. Much better then the older models. If my current Ultra Glide wears out (I've had it for 7 years) then I will definitely buy the TG off of QVC.

Tags
body for life, total gym