Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-09, 04:20 PM  
Gardengirl

Calories & Kickboxing

So I've decided to venture into kickboxing (late to the party as usual). I have Turbo Jam and as much as I've really tried to like them, I'm just not a shake your booty while I'm exercising kind of girl! (Maybe some day . . . when I'm senile!) Anyway, I don't normally chart calories. I usually just accept that a workout has burned some good calories and let it go. But I've recommitted to logging my food in on Livestrong and did a kickboxing workout and went to log my calories burned (just for fun). It said I should have burned between 600-800 calories! Really? Does kickboxing really burn a bunch of calories? If so, why have I not been doing a bunch of kickboxing before now!!??? Plus it was actually fun (while I was not trying to shake my booty)!
Old 06-16-09, 04:31 PM  
juberann

Hi Judy!!!! My newest passion is kickboxing,I love it!! and,yes, it burns TONS of calories and is just the best ab and lower body cardio workout out there I have a heart rate monitor and it isn't unusual for me to burn anywhere from 500-700 calories during a 45 minute session.I also tried Turbo Jam and didn't care for it but TaeBo gets a BIG thumbs up from me and Kimberly Spreen is now a new favorite for me. Despite being put out by Prevention, Chris Freytag's KickStart Your Metabolism is SUPER fun and a major calorie burner.
I mainly did walking workouts for cardio before my recent venture into kickboxing and the kickboxing is way more fun Judy
juberann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-09, 04:31 PM  
mj476

I've never burned 800 calories doing a kickboxing workout. More like between 400-500.

Marcy
Old 06-16-09, 06:00 PM  
ilovemygreatdane

I'm always late to the party too and just discovered kickboxing. I like the Star Trainers kickboxing with Violet Zaki. I have no idea how many calories I burn, but I do sweat. I'm not going to be shaking my booty either, so no Turbo Jam for me.
ilovemygreatdane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-09, 06:15 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Judy, out of curiosity do you prefer Chris' workout or Jessica's? I haven't gotten either (yet) and for sure am NOT buying another pair of weighted gloves (though I see another version of Jessica's will be released w/o gloves) but just wondering what you thought.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-09, 06:33 PM  
magmolmacmom

I use 2lb. weighted gloves and that really ups the heartrate and the calorie burn.
Old 06-16-09, 06:34 PM  
juberann

Hi Lucky While I wouldn't part with either of them right now I like Chris' workout a little better then Jessica's,I think it flows alot more smoothly and it is better put together,imo! While Jessica's is a little higher intensity,it is still a 10 Minute Solution workout with those separations between segments but it is my favorite 10 Minute Solution so far (and I own several of them). So,if I could keep just one of them, it would be Chris'. Oh, and those pink gloves work GREAT with her workout

Judy
juberann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-09, 06:58 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Well I don't know why but I don't burn that much doing kickboxing. I have been meaning to post about calorie burn during exercise for awhile because I don't seem to burn as much as others do during exercise. I have a Reebok Precision Trainer XT HRM and these are the calorie burns I have been recording recently, which do not include a 5 minute warmup.

Amy's Kickbox surge(54 min)- 346 calories
Kim's Cardio combat surge(59 min with 6 lb med ball & 9lb body bar) 358 cal
KCM's 30 minutes to Fitness kickbox ( both workouts - 46 minutes ) 294 cal
Cathe's Kick Punch Crunch (48 minutes with weighted gloves) 276 cal

Other workouts that I consider intense:

-Firepower and part of Newport(43 min) 264 calories
-Lauren Brook's 40 min kettlebell w/o 249 calories
-Keith Weber extreme KB(manmaker, upper body blast, leg burner, swings-36 minutes) 223 calories
-Seasun's Bosu Blast (44 minutes) 309
-A good long walk on hills including 7- 1 minute sprints alternating with 1 minute of walking (1 hour 30 minutes) 592 calories.

Does anyone know if the variations among exercisers are a function of the accuracy of the heart rate monitor? I have my age and weight programed in so I assumed the monitor uses this information to calculate calorie burn but I do not know what else it takes into account.

Leslie
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-09, 07:04 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Wow! Lauren Brooks 40 min KB burns ONLY 249 cals? I would have expected a lot more!
Usia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-09, 07:16 PM  
pcramer

I know most heart rate monitors calculate from your age and weight. Could you possibly be very young, very light weight, or very fit???

Last edited by pcramer; 06-16-09 at 07:19 PM. Reason: added on
pcramer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
body bar, bodybar, cardio combat surge, heartrate monitor, kickboxing, weighted bar