Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-02-09, 11:23 AM  
SAF

Tighter or looser fitting workout clothes?

Do most of you prefer tighter or looser fitting workout clothes and why? I tend to prefer cotton/spandex to any other material, which is usually looser fitting, but, sometimes makes it hard to stay on the stability ball. Seems o.k. for Leslie walking workouts or other toning workouts, though, and yoga, as well.
SAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-09, 11:26 AM  
daisysunshine

tight (for cardio and weight lifting). loose for yoga, and I think it's just yoga, i'm moving more. so i want to be able to flow. I also need to have a LOT of air when i do cardio/weights because i get hot really fast. when it's tight, i don't get so hot.

...right now you're saying, no i can't do this. you should know by now i don't train that way - Dasha Libin

offering the two tracey mallet dance workouts, pm me.
daisysunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-09, 11:30 AM  
Stephanie_B

For yoga it depends, power yoga I want tight, but Kundalini it doesn't matter because I've done it in PJs or undies

But generally I like tight clothes with wicking power.

If you can't do it today what makes you think you will do it tomorrow?

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Stephanie_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-09, 11:32 AM  
mtnmom

I wear cheap yoga pants and a sports bra. So tight, I guess. I wear a baggy sweatshirt for warmth when I start a workout, but can't wait to get it off. I don't like clothing flopping around, or otherwise getting in my way during a workout. The flare of the yoga pants doesn't bother me.

I hate compression shorts though, if that's what you mean by tight.
Old 02-02-09, 11:33 AM  
mspina

Tight, for everything. I don't really own looser fitting workout clothes. I guess some of my layering pieces for running are a bit looser, but whatever is touching skin, is tight.

Random Stuff:
  • Spinervals Team Member Triathlon Coach
  • Avid CrossFitter
  • Former Triathlon Fanatic
  • 2008 Boston Marathon Finisher
  • Cast member in IronGirl StrEndurance workout (released 12/07)

mspina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-09, 11:36 AM  
sherry7899

A mixture...but I need to get tighter tops for yoga. I can't stand having my face stuck down my shirt when I do downward facing dog That happens if I'm wearing a loose fitting shirt.

Sherry
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-09, 11:40 AM  
SAF

The pants I tend to like are 90/10 cotton/spandex, the ones that felt too tight were 92/18%. Just decided after all these years of working out, I wanted to feel more comfortable too! Compression shorts must have "alot" of spandex in them!
SAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-09, 12:00 PM  
KathAL79

I prefer a tighter fit for most activities. Loose stuff just gets in my way or bunches up (especially during Pilates). The main exception is that I've found is that my long bra tops tend to ride up a lot during kickboxing, so a looser top over a sports bra would be my choice the next time I choose to go to a live class.
Most of my workout gear consists of longer sports bra tops and yoga-ish type pants.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-09, 12:25 PM  
Mommapew

Another vote for tight fitting, and especially a sleevless top. I can't stand wearing a t-shirt as it seems to restrict my movement for cardio.

I just wish they made the tops to cover more of the chest because I feel everytime I bend down you're getting a good look down my top. I'm not a prude but I feel very selfconscious doing downward dog in public with most of the tops I own and I'm pretty small chested
Mommapew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-09, 12:32 PM  
RedPanda

Tight wicking material for me, unless I'm hiking when I wear more loose-fitting pants.

I've ripped my pants a few times when lifting in the gym, so again, I need fabric with a bit of stretch.

Tags
workout clothing