Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-15-08, 07:03 PM  
lissalaurel76

Not really OT - Got custom made shoe inserts

( I posted some of this in the Kmart check-in thread too ) I just got my custom made $350 or so shoe inserts. I LOVE these things. LOVE THEM ! Where have they been all my life ?!?!?! I am in LOVE ! I decided to really test them the 1st time I wore them to see how they feel while I workout. I did a step workout today. I love step, but my knee clicks every time I do step & I have to be careful cuz my knee could hurt or even go out on me while doing step. My knees have hurt all my life. (I'm 31) My knee did not click ONCE while doing step & no pain AT ALL ! It did click once while stretching, but I was going to the floor when that happened, so it was a pretty good bend.

Oh, and when doing repeaters ! I always lose my balance on my R side when doing repeaters (that's the bad knee). I didn't lose my balance while doing repeaters today ! I could just scream I'm so excited !

OH, and the PT told me that I hyperextend my knee when I stand. I've had the hardest time making myself keep that knee bent all the time. That also has changed with the inserts. I have to actually think to make myself straighten that knee, I've got the natural bend now ! I am actually standing differently. My torso even goes forward just a little bit more now too. I feel so different with these things. What did I ever do without them ?!
Old 01-15-08, 10:55 PM  
gmfreund
VF Supporter

My DD has deformed feet (brachymetatarsia), and the custom orthotics that we got for her made a world of difference. She was having all sorts of knee pain, and that has gone away.

How wonderful that yours are working! Will you eventually wear them all the time? DD does, and is very happy with them.

Gwynn F.
gmfreund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-08, 10:56 PM  
lissalaurel76

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmfreund
My DD has deformed feet (brachymetatarsia), and the custom orthotics that we got for her made a world of difference. She was having all sorts of knee pain, and that has gone away.

How wonderful that yours are working! Will you eventually wear them all the time? DD does, and is very happy with them.

Gwynn F.
Yes, I'm supposed to build up to wearing them all the time. I'm supposed to start out at about 2 hours & break for a few hours. It does make my quadriceps tired since the body is in a whole new alignment. So, although I didn't want to take them off I was glad to have a break for my quads.
Old 01-15-08, 10:58 PM  
Karen Beckwith
VF Supporter

Melissa - how exciting for you! I'm sure it must be such a relief to have something help so much.

"Comfort zones are very often expanded by discomfort." - Mimi Solaire
Karen Beckwith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-08, 11:16 PM  
lissalaurel76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Walsh
Melissa - how exciting for you! I'm sure it must be such a relief to have something help so much.
It is, but more than anything it's a surprise. My feet have been hurting, so that was why I got the foot scan & wound up being prescribed these inserts. I just thought they'd help with the foot pain, but was not even thinking how it would help my knees.
Old 01-15-08, 11:21 PM  
gmfreund
VF Supporter

When we visited the podiatrist, he did a good job of explaining why DD's toe problems would cause her knee pain -- basically her feet weren't distributing weight properly, causing her to do all sorts of funky things while standing. It's no wonder her knees hurt! It was only a matter of time before her hips and lower back hurt, too, I'm guessing.

I've had some knee issues because of muscular imbalances. The PT suggested trying the cheapy Superfeet inserts -- even those have made a difference. Feet are important! (Understatement of the year?)

Gwynn
gmfreund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-08, 12:00 AM  
lissalaurel76

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmfreund
When we visited the podiatrist, he did a good job of explaining why DD's toe problems would cause her knee pain -- basically her feet weren't distributing weight properly, causing her to do all sorts of funky things while standing. It's no wonder her knees hurt! It was only a matter of time before her hips and lower back hurt, too, I'm guessing.

I've had some knee issues because of muscular imbalances. The PT suggested trying the cheapy Superfeet inserts -- even those have made a difference. Feet are important! (Understatement of the year?)

Gwynn
That's a good tagline - Feet are Important ! I guess it does make sense, doesn't it, how it affects so much when your feet are messed up ? I am just in awe. I can't wait til' tomorrow when I go in for chiropractic & PT so I can show my PT how my knee is in natural bend & so I can just gush to my chiro. (he's the one who prescribed them) I'm glad your daughter's found relief too. (((huggles)))

Tags
inserts, insoles, orthotics