Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-03-05, 08:33 AM  
Sandi M
VF Supporter

Perceived Exertion does not match HRM stats

Hi,

Sorry for the long post!

I think I need some help from the experienced HRM users. I've read a few of the recent threads about maximum heart rate, resting heart rate, zones, etc., and have some questions about my statistics and perceived exertion not matching up.

Some history: I am almost 46 yo and have been working out for 12 years. I tried running a few years ago, and gave it up because I didn't like being chased by dogs and depending on the weather. I usually do kickboxing, step and hi/lo for my cardio. I can do Cathe's MIC and IMAX's, but only use a 6 inch step. We bought a treadmill a while back, and I found it BORING with a capital B. I recently purchased the Cardio Coach MP3 's and a Polar HRM, so I could try something new and motivating. I like the Cardio Coach workouts, and have done all 4 of the workouts a couple of times.

My problem?: Yesterday, I did a quick maximum heart rate test on the 8 inch step (yes, I know this is probably inaccurate), so I could figure out my Levels for Cardio Coach. I found my maximum to be 190. My resting heartrate is around 56, and when I go to the doctor, it is around 62 every time.

I rarely take my heart rate during cardio, but when I have over the last 10 years, it seems to ALWAYS have been 157-163 bpm when I'm working at what I would consider to be a level 7, perceived exertion wise. I have never checked it after a tough interval where I would feel that I'm working at a level 9 or 10.

On the treadmill, I found the following to be the speeds (no incline) to stay within my levels (sort of):

Level 1: 3.8 mph (55-65%)
Level 2: 4.5 mph (65-75%)
Level 3: 5.3 mph (75-85%)
(Vol. 1 has no Level 4 sprints).

Really slow, huh? What has me puzzled is that at Level 1, I felt as if I was hardly walking. At Level 2, I felt that I could go much harder. At Level 3, I definitely didn't feel any pain, and could have gone up to 6.0 mph, I believe before I felt like I was "sprinting". I figure I would need to go 7.0 mph to feel like Level 4, but 5.3 mph took me to near the TOP of Level 3 for heartrate.

And, finally, when I slowed down to Level 1 for the cooldown, my heartrate stayed at around 140 bpm. I believe that fitness can be measured by how fast the heartrate drops, so I must be in TERRIBLE shape, even though I feel as if I am in good shape!

What gives? Any ideas? Am I in horrible cardiovascular condition, and just don't know it? I know that running is new to me, but step gets me up to 85% every time I do it, and I feel fine....

Thanks in advance,
Sandi
Sandi M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-05, 08:49 AM  
Kyra

First of all, I do not do treadmills and can't give you any feedback on your heart rates for those numbers. But your other numbers sound very reasonable. I'm 40, have resting HR's in your range and a max HR in your range (measured maximums were 195 for spinning and 202 running). A perceived exertion of 7, maybe 7+ and a HR in the 160 ballpark also sounds pretty fair to me, too.

So, either we're both broken or we both have faulty perception, in that department.

I would suspect your HR's & perceptions to have something to do with running being new to you. Also, I don't find my numbers for running match my numbers for spinning, so you may have to recalculate your ranges slightly. And, my HR takes longer to return to normal after running than after spinning (my guess being because I cool down from running by walking, and you can only walk so slow). I would keep tabs on things as long as you're feeling OK and see what happens.

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-05, 12:42 PM  
glavtx
VF Supporter

I've found exactly the same things you're both describing. The first few times I did one of the Cardio Coaches, I tried to stay in my target HR zones, but I didn't FEEL like I was working that hard, either. I decided I'd just go by perceived exertion, and enjoy myself, because I got tired of holding back to keep my HR somewhere that didn't feel right.

I've never actually measured my maximum HR - I have seen 202 - 204 on the monitor after going to the treadmill from the spin bike in Ride & Stride, or during an intense step interval on a Cathe, so figure my true max is over that, because I didn't have to stop, and my HR does come back down quickly. (I'm 47)

If the only prayer you say in your life is Thank You, that would suffice.
Meister Eckhart

It is our resistance to things as they are that causes most unhappiness.

When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your
strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no
reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself. Tecumseh
glavtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-05, 01:04 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi M
I believe that fitness can be measured by how fast the heartrate drops, so I must be in TERRIBLE shape, even though I feel as if I am in good shape!
sandi,

i agree with kyra that your stats look reasonable. your max heartrate is "sport-specific," therefore you may need to recalibrate the ranges for each type of sport. THR for Cathe would not be the same as THR for Cardio Coach, for example. Heidi Tanner discusses this in a very good thread posted at WHFN forums - each person for a particular sport has a specific set of THZs.

also, about the quote above that your HR drops - that's actually a sign of better cardiovascular health when your heart is able to recover faster. conversely, a person just starting out would continue to have an elevated HR since it would take her longer for her HR to recover.

if you do some searches here in General, you'll find that people in better cardiovascular health have a hard time getting into a higher range and sustaining it simply because they have better endurance. i find that to be the case with me.

second, the solution to that would be to go back to doing lower intensity workouts (as in aerobic base building, ABB). you won't lose any gains from when you built up to higher intensity. and to prove that, you can do what is called a Maffetone test after a few weeks of ABB and find that your heart has become more efficient.

Sally Edwards has some excellent books. i recommend her Heart Zone Training book and also her others that deal with outdoor cycling. she has a website too. when you're in as good condition as you are, it also helps to vary the training throughout your rotation - her Heart Zone Training book gives many examples of some of her clients' weekly rotations in working with a HRM.

good luck - you're not a weakling, in fact, i think you're doing fine!

bzar
who is enjoying her HRM and in her early 40's (!)

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-05, 01:32 PM  
ooty

Sandi

I don't have a HRM. At my doc's, my RHR is 62. I go by perceived exertion. I am in OK shape (have been exercising on and off for 2 years), but have been running consistently at least every other day from Feb to May 7 with Cardiocoach. (Now I have a sprained ankle, not due to running). I saw dramatic improvements in my speed within a month. Anyways, my levels for Vol. 1 are:

Level 1: 4-4.5mph, level 2: 5.5 mph, Level 3: 7.5-7.8 mph.

I was thinking I may be below my THR, but after reading your post, I am not sure anymore. Also, I recently changed the running mat and don't know if it displays correct numbers. But on a relative comparison, I seem to have improved. Unless my treadmill is really off, I am a little surprised with the numbers you have posted.I will post once I get an HRM (and if my foot heals one of these days).
Old 06-03-05, 02:10 PM  
Sandi M
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar
sandi,
also, about the quote above that your HR drops - that's actually a sign of better cardiovascular health when your heart is able to recover faster. conversely, a person just starting out would continue to have an elevated HR since it would take her longer for her HR to recover.
I didn't explain very well. What I meant is that I expect that my heartrate would be below 140 by the time I finished the cooldown if I were in good condition. I don't think it drops enough!

Sandi

THANKS for the responses, ladies!
Sandi M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abb, aerobic base building, heart rate, maffetone method, perceived exertion, sally edwards