Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-15-13, 01:03 PM  
PrairieGem

Question Body for Life

I'm thinking of doing a rotation of this, starting in April, and was wondering if there were any VFers who've done BFL. I could only find one short thread, from 2009. I did this before, several years ago, but got sidelined in Week 7 by a serious illness, and never got back to it.

Back then, we didn't have HIIT videos like Cathe's HIIT or Breathless Body--and I *much* prefer working out to videos than from a book. I'm wondering if there's a video workout that would effectively mimic the BFL strength training plan. It's a little bit confusing and hard to follow at first, but basically it's UB/LB splits, doing two exercises per "muscle," and gradually increasing your weights but decreasing your reps in each set.

Quote:
from bodyforlife.com
--Alternate training the major muscles of the upper and lower body.
--Perform two exercises for each major muscle group [biceps, triceps, shoulders, chest, back/lats; quads, glutes, hamstrings, calves, etc].
--Select one exercise and conduct five sets with it: starting with a set of 12 reps; then increasing the weight and doing 10 reps; adding more weight and doing 8 reps; adding more weight for 6 reps.
--Then reduce the weight and do 12 reps.
--Immediately perform another set of 12 reps for that muscle group using the second selected exercise.
I'm not looking for something *identical,* necessarily, just something similar-ish... but I'm more of a cardio or circuit junkie and don't have any strict weight videos in my collection. And the kicker: the BFL strength workouts only take around 45 minutes, which is kind of my sweet spot for length.

Suggestions? It's kind of old school and sort of the polar opposite of the TA-hit-the-smaller-muscles-too kind of workout.

I'd also like to continue to do one day of barre (probably P57 or Ballet Body..?), and was wondering how that might fit into the rotation or affect my results (so every week I'd do one UB weight workout, one LB w/o, and one day of full-body barre. Three days of HIIT cardio.)

I'd love to hear thoughts, suggestions, ideas, etc, from other BFL VFers, if you're out there!

Thanks!!
Old 03-15-13, 01:39 PM  
Rhonda

I did this a long time ago and actually made it to week 8 or 10. Then again hubby was doing it with me and it was nice. We both lost weight.

I can't think of any strength workouts that would mimic BFL but often thought that maybe Cathe's Pyramid workout would work in a crunch as you pyramid up and then down. Not sure if any of the STS workouts would be close enough but those are long and are a 3 day split.

Rhonda
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-13, 03:46 PM  
Elise7

My mom did it years ago and got great results. She lifted heavy and did the interval treadmill workouts.
Elise7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-13, 04:18 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I didn't do it long enough to get a lot of visible results, but I was amazed at how heavy I could lift using this method. I haven't used those heavy dumbbells since - except for doorstops. . It was years ago.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-13, 05:01 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I got great results when I did my challenges years back. I did it all at the gym. Like Joni, I also got really strong.

I'm old school about it - Bill stresses in the book about mind/body connection and I think following to a video takes away from that. When that mind/body connection clicks you truly understand what is is to push out of your comfort zone in levels.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-13, 05:15 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I didn't do any videos either. I used my treadmill for the cardio. I pulled my book out not too long ago and don't remember why I decided not to try it again - am I really curious about that.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-13, 06:38 PM  
PrairieGem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonda View Post
maybe Cathe's Pyramid workout would work in a crunch as you pyramid up and then down.
Rhonda
Thanks! Those actually look great. I'm thinking of doing the HIIT from the same series, so they should complement each other nicely. TBH, I found the BFL cardio component really difficult to fit in properly, since I don't love machines and when I'm doing HIIT, the last thing I want to do is THINK! I ended up using some harder Sharon Mann interval workouts, and they were OK, but not a true HIIT. I was so thrilled when I found Cathe's video.

Frankly, for me this time it's less about the workouts than the "other half" of the program , which is where I really need some discipline at the moment! But I don't think I'll stick with it if I don't go all in.
Old 03-18-13, 08:06 AM  
Rhonda

I have gone back and forth on giving it another try and I usually say no. Not sure why. I actually did pull the book out a couple months ago and still decided not to try.

Let us know if you are going to do it. I suppose it is easier when you have someone to do the challenge with you.

Rhonda
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-13, 10:04 AM  
PrairieGem

Rhonda, I am TOTALLY going to do it (!!!) and I would love to have somebody to share a check-in with! I'm trying to get some other friends who've done it before to join me, too, but so far no takers.

I was feeling really conflicted over the weekend about going back to hard cardio and heavy weights, until I pulled out my records from the last time I did BFL, and saw that I was at my smallest size EVER. I'm starting from a heavier place + several more inches, but it was SO reassuring to realize that whatever I do--when I am truly committed to being conscientious with my eating--is eventually effective. I may not think/feel like/or look like I'm getting results... but the tape measure seldom lies. And knowing that my goals this time are just to drop ~13 lbs and lose some inches--NOT try and get a totally "cut" physique--is helping keep things in perspective.
Old 03-18-13, 07:54 PM  
lotusgirl

I did the BFL program by working out at a gym and following the food plan and it's what led me to being my smallest, strongest and leanest ever. I just did a 30 day yoga only program and gained seven pounds, so I am now committed to getting back to cardio intervals and weight training. I'm a huge believer in the BFL plan. It's what made me realize I don't have to do a solid hour of cardio, and that being strong is a fabulous feeling!

Tags
bfl, body for life