Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-01-21, 05:56 PM  
annette
VF Supporter

No workout buddy for me. I'm alone in the basement all by myself...haha.. but I like it that way. I'm more of a loner anyway in a lot of aspects in my life. My husband and I used to walk often but he's transitioned from an office job to a more physical one where he's on his feet all day so he's really tired when he gets home, which I understand.
annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-21, 07:06 PM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
I have two.

My dog buddy (std poodle) has a long rope that we each hold to play tug during cardio workouts (including step) and she'll bring me a ball to toss when she's bored with that - can send it down 2 flights of stairs from the gym - great workout for her too!

My human buddy (woman I met at the dog park) started coming to my house 3x/week in May 2019. Then covid hit & we parted ways. Switched to FaceTime on the phone, set under the TV to view the room. We hit PLAY at the same time so we do the same workout together. Since doing it at home, she wants to workout MORE often. We'll continue this way as she's discovered how great it is not to leave home & has set up a space for it. It's more roomy for both of us this way.

She's ~20 yrs younger than me, so expect we won't be 'breaking up' any time soon. We get together with our dogs & husbands intermittently as well.

Two daughters (now 23) were never willing to workout with me & husband regards sweating akin to going to the toilet - something one does ALONE.
Awww! I love your stories! I've always wanted a standard poodle; they look like big teddy bears! Also, I'm glad you bonded with someone at the dog park and can workout together on FaceTime. That's great! Most people I meet who are physically active talk about how they run on the treadmill or say they HAVE to go to the gym or they won't be motivated to work out.
Old 03-01-21, 10:52 PM  
Helen

Thanks Wendy.
Human buddy gets me into the gym when sometimes I otherwise wouldn't have, which is exactly why we started up together! We have a regular time slot but we are both equally amenable to changing it if need be.

My poodle looks especially teddy-like as she's a 'red' (reddish brown). Never had one before but sold. Choice of poodle was for the lack of shedding - I can wear black without fear! Last dog was polar white with a double coat. Adored that dog, but whoah!!! the hair!!!
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-21, 10:51 AM  
DCW

My relative "downsized" from a large 75 pound dog to standard poodles. They are just the right size.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-21, 03:17 PM  
Jeanne Marie

I actually have a few!

My main workout buddy is my husband. We run together and do DVD/On Demand workouts every morning. Since Covid permanently closed our HIIT bootcamp class, I have 3 of my closest friends that come to my house every morning at 9am for workout. We have recently upgraded our workout space to make it bigger, higher (raised the ceiling) and just better overall, so I am excited to be able to basically have a small class every morning in my workout room. We mainly do Cathe on Demand.
Old 03-10-21, 09:00 PM  
ncl

I love hearing how everyone works out, with or without buddy. I mostly work out in our basement workout room alone. It is me time and enjoy doing it alone, so no complaints there. I have intense interactions at work all day so me time is definitely needed.

My husband and I do walks and hikes together though and we have another couple that we hike with on the weekend usually on Sunday since the pandemic started.
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-21, 07:06 AM  
hch
VF Supporter

I've never had what I'd call one; I haven't "exercised with other people" since team sports in school.

I'm not opposed in principle to having one, but my schedule tends to be irregular enough and prone enough to disruption that I wouldn't want to subject anyone else to having to accommodate it.

Even before this thread, I'd realized anyway that I've missed having one only for practical reasons--most often, having a spotter or having someone around for safety.

Other reasons for exercising with others don't appeal to me or even repel me. For example:

- I don't find the idea of exercising with others inherently encouraging or motivating in itself. I'd have to find the right people and interactions.
- I'm disclined to use exercise as a setting for socializing. I'm not completely opposed to the idea, but I'd want to find the right people and interactions.
- I wouldn't want to exercise with someone who tends to be "competitive."
- In a recent newscast, I heard from someone who said that she likes exercising with other people because she's not tempted to slack; I'm not that kind of exerciser at all.
- Introducing "accountability" into exercise demotivates me for a number of reasons. I could write an entire separate post about what I find unappealing about "accountability."

I wouldn't reject the right person if I ever found that match, but I'm also glad that my exercise life doesn't rely on one.
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-21, 08:44 AM  
PennyK

PennyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-21, 10:45 AM  
hch
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hch View Post
- Introducing "accountability" into exercise demotivates me for a number of reasons. I could write an entire separate post about what I find unappealing about "accountability." )
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyK View Post
I would be interested in reading this post and hearing what others think!
A short answer: in multiple ways, the idea of "exercise accountability" meshes poorly with how I think and act.

A summary of some specific points:

- My motivations are strongly intrinsic. I don't know why they are, but I'm happy with this state. I happily exercise without being monitored to see that I do, and I'm probably happier and more consistent without being so monitored. I don't think that trying to add extrinsic motivations related to a sort of accountability would be "balancing" or "reinforcing" for me, either.

- The idea of accountability usually introduces certain moralizing and quasi-moralizing elements that I'd like to keep separate from exercise, such as judgment, disappointment, disapproval (and even a corresponding approval), guilt, shame, and embarrassment. For example, I wouldn't want to be expected to make (or hear) confessions of faux-sins related to exercise.

(I don't object to all instances of accountability in the world, such as "the head of the department will be accountable to the finance committee," but those contexts are different in a number of ways. I also don't think that exercise is completely separate from ethics and morality, but their relationship is not something like "four workouts good, two workouts bad.")

- In particular for the idea of a buddy for "exercise accountability":

I already wouldn't want a "neutral" compliance monitor watching me, and I'm even more averse to the idea of having an alleged friend or buddy who's there to monitor my behavior.

Of course, I'm not saying that a friend of mine must blithely accept or approve of whatever I do, but I don't know how much enjoyment, companionship, and comfort I'd have with a nominal friend whose relationship with me included a large bit of checking that I was doing something "right" and not doing something "wrong."
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
workout buddy, workout partner