Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 01-01-21, 03:32 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Moms of school-aged kids and tweenagers, Jan-Mar 2021

Happy New Year's! What did everyone do to celebrate? We did stay up last night. The neighbor family we were supposed to spend Thanksgiving with (but didn't because the mom got COVID) came over and we had a firepit and fireworks in the driveway. They were legalized a few years ago, and the kids had fun running around and setting them off. We watched a movie after and didn't actually do anything when midnight hit!

Someone in my other check-in asked this and I'll post it here--2020 was rough, but was there something good from it you can share?

My response: My kids got to be really good swimmers and can cook and clean like champs! So they're relatively independent. And while I didn't leave my job at the time and in the way I'd wanted, I do think overall it's good I'm out. I was ready to leave for a while and the only thing I miss is all the vacation time I'd accrued!

This morning I got up at 7 and did my Body Beast workout. I went to our room to change for a planned hike and DH got called in to work but basically drove there, sat for 15 minutes, and was sent home. So I did go hiking. It was this odd thing where a new member of my MRTT chapter set it up but also posted it in apparently a ton of other groups. There were at least half a dozen women there. I'd ridden with a friend, and so she and I started out right on time since we both needed to get back.

The same friend and one other are coming over Sunday afternoon for sangria and snacks in the yard. My one friend does "driveway drinks" every now and then, to be distancing-ish and still see people.

I'll get to talk to people other than my family 3 times this week! I can't tell you how exciting that is.

Hope to see you all here!

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-21, 01:04 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Two good things from 2020: DS2 has been seizure free since January when we started the ketogenic diet, and I got to meet Pratima!!!

Our household is total chaos so I can't stay long, but just checking in to say I've been doing a Cathe rotation since the beginning of the year. It's a combination of the low impact series and the newer Perfect 30 series. I need to take today off, though. I'm stiff and sore and I think I would benefit more from Melt rolling for a day.

We're strugging to get back to our virtual school routine! More later.

Happy New Year, friends!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-21, 09:51 AM  
TonyaK

Hello, friends!

Pratima, I hope you enjoyed seeing some people! It is so nice to talk to different people.

Stephanie, it is amazing that your DS is doing so well!!! Great job figuring that out - wow, I am so happy for your family!!

Yay for you two meeting up!

Yesterday I planned on doing Yoga With Adriene, but when I got to my workout space, I really wanted to lift weights. I started P90X I did Chest and Back plus as much as I could of Ab Ripper X. Today I got up at 5:00 and did PlyoX. I tried to do a short yoga afterward, but my abs were too sore to be doing planks. P90X and a little walk each day is plenty of exercise for me! I am thinking that on some days I might do halfsies, if I don't feel up to doing the whole thing. I also might do some substitutions, especially after the first month. Sometimes that 90-minute yoga is too much, and I get tired of doing the same Legs and Back workout for the whole time. I'm trying to start out without the all-or-nothing attitude that often ends with me quitting! I really want to work on consistency, so if I need to take it easy some days, I'd rather do that than skip the day.
TonyaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-21, 10:00 AM  
TonyaK

I just looked back at the last thread and wanted to add a couple things

I canceled my subscriptions to Les Mills and Lindsay Brin. I liked them both for a while but I wasn't feeling drawn to them recently. Now that I started P90X, I know I won't use those for as long as I stick with P90X. I can imagine signing up again and using one or the other for a month or something in the future. I really like that you don't have any commitment!

I'm so glad you got to meet each other! Hopefully sometime soon we can all get together, without distancing.

Pratima, I remember enjoying Body Beast, even though the guy was sort of eye-rolly sometimes. That can actually make the workout more fun! Are you liking it?
Old 01-11-21, 04:30 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Hi TonyaK! Glad you made it to the thread. Were you paying month-by-month for Les Mills? I admit, I mostly use it for The Trip or short HIIT workouts. Which is weird because I mostly got it for BodyCombat! I say you should do whatever you can! Life is like that these days.

I like knowing what I'm doing each day and I can tell I'm getting stronger. Sagi is definitely full of eye-rolling comments! They don't bother me much though. Repetition might get to me. I'm in the last week of phase 1 and don't know if I can get through 5 weeks of phase 2! I think I'll adopt your outlook--do what I can and sub if I need to.

I rarely watch the news, but with everything happening at the Capitol last week I was glued to it for a couple of hours. I've had trouble sleeping since then. Such a feeling of unrest, knowing that people would do something like that.

I semi-impulsively bought a rower last week. I'd been researching them for a while because a couple of people on my other check-in had been talking about them. I got one from a local company that sells liquidation items like customer returns and close-outs. It seems new, and they delivered it for $50 already put together (the company is at least an hour's drive from me). I've tried it a couple of times and it really is a full-body workout. I've done it on resistance level 1 (out of 24) and gone pretty slow though, so not really a workout. Going to try ramping it up a bit this week.

Saturday was one of the best days I've had for a while. I had weird jealousy of a friend who's been out hiking on her own and with her DH and DS (who normally won't go) every weekend. I went alone and didn't like it right now. Going with friends is good if I can coordinate with the few people I see still. I convinced my family to go with me and meet up with my friend and her family. It went quite well! My friend actually ended up only doing a mile and then heading back with her 3 year old. The rest of us went the whole 1.5 miles up. I got DS some trail shoes and I think they gave him too much confidence! But I'm glad we got out.

Saturday night DH and I left them alone for the very first time and had dinner at a restaurant literally 5 miles away. The place was practically empty so felt very safe. They'd cut their menu WAY down which was a bummer, but it was SO nice to have just adult company for a while.

I'm slightly stressed right now because DS has a hemangioma on his jawline. DH took him to the ped Thursday and they just said to see a dermatologist. Last night it started bleeding and I can't get it to stop. He was in school today and I'm taking him tomorrow. All that blood is a little nerve-wracking! He gets tons of bloody noses though so it hasn't really phased him.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Old 01-15-21, 12:07 PM  
TonyaK

Hello!

I got up early and did P90X for 6 days in a row! Then yesterday afternoon I started to feel nauseated and had to lie down. I had a short-lived stomach virus, and I feel okay today, but I did sleep in. I hope I can do something today, whether it's the planned Kenpo or tomorrow's Stretch. It would be great to stay on schedule. I also need to get my 10,000 steps because I might actually win this week's Fitbit Workweek Hustle! The walkers in Switzerland must have gotten snowed in, or their kids are home from school, or something, because they are only getting normal amounts of steps this week.

I have been modifying P90X as needed and trying to eat as healthfully as I can. Lots of room to grow in both areas, but it's a 90-day program, so I've got some time My abs are still sore from Sunday, by the way! I couldn't do Ab Ripper again since then

Pratima, yes, I was just paying monthly for Les Mills and Lindsay. Both offered a free trial period and then I paid once for Les Mills and twice or three times for Lindsay. I think they are both a decent price if you use them!

I watched hours of CNN on 1/06, yelling at the tv. I hope they will be able to quash whatever is coming on 1/20! It is very unsettling.

My mom had a rowing machine when I was a kid, and I can remember waking up early in the morning to that shooshing sound! I think she really liked it. I hope you enjoy yours!

It's awesome that you could go out to eat with DH!! I think I've only been in a restaurant when we went to the mountains in September. We've gotten plenty of takeout, but not much dining in.

What is happening with DS?? How does he deal with the bleeding at school??

Stephanie, can we get a collarbone update? I hope you are feeling some more healing happening.
Old 01-15-21, 12:29 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

TonyaK, I'm impressed that you did 6 days of P90X! I think I tried it once and made it maybe 3 days. After Body Beast, I may give it another shot. I always liked Ab Ripper and always felt it.

Eating out--it's usually weird. We've gone out a few times here and the distancing was actually good, but the experience completely meh. Back in the fall, maybe September, we went to California Pizza Kitchen, the kid's favorite place. The menu was tiny and the way they'd taped off tables and stuff made the whole place seem rather dismal. That location actually shut down shortly after. We ate out more when we went up north. The restaurants there have put a LOT in place to stay open, but again, it makes it rather dismal. In one restaurant we were literally closed in on three sides and it was quite dark.

This past weekend though was nice. It was nice to have adult conversation and the restaurant was huge with booths lining the wall, so seemed very safe.

I ended up taking DS to the dermatologist Tuesday. It was a giant pain--I couldn't find someone who could get him in right away. Then I did, and we showed up and they claimed our appointment was the following Tuesday! I insisted it wasn't, that I'd confirmed the time repeatedly over the phone. So they fit is in. Turned out he had some sort of granuloma. They injected lidocaine into it (which was much fun as you'd expect) and then shaved it off and cauterized it. He did really well and is fine now. Apparently they sent it off to pathology so hopefully the results will be that it's benign and he's fine!

I haven't used the rower much. I tried a few YouTube workouts but watching someone row is I bought a card on ebay for an iFit membership. It'll sync with the rower and they have spin, strength, etc. also. I figured it's worth $80 to try for a year.

I have Monday off for MLK day and possibly Wednesday. The Coast Guard offices are apparently closed and some of the people I work with are signed up for security detail or something scary like that, so we may be off too. I'm taking DD to the physical therapist Monday for her wrist.

I'm pretty much done with Phase 1 of Body Beast. There's one more workout scheduled which I may fit in tomorrow or just miss. I'm looking forward to the next phase because the workouts are shorter and I want to fit in some cardio!

Hope everyone is well.

Old 01-18-21, 01:25 PM  
TonyaK

Happy MLK Day, friends! My kids always have Mondays off, so it doesn't feel like much of a holiday to them.

Saturday I took a rest day (the schedule calls for X Stretch or Rest). Yesterday was Chest and Back, but I subbed Cathe's Slow and Heavy Chest and Back. My knee has been feeling uncomfortable for a few days now, and I've been using DH's knee support sleeves to keep moving. P90X's Chest and Back is all Push-ups for chest and mostly Pull-ups for back. Both put a weird pressure on my complaining knee, so I decided to sub. I had forgotten how imbalanced Cathe used to be with chest and back! She does a ton of chest work and way less back. I went as heavy as I could and today I can definitely feel the chest work!

I also did Ab Ripper X last night, and it was so much easier than the first time or the second time. That first time through was a killer! It was so tough to do maybe 60% of the reps, and my abs were super sore for like 5 days! But they have already gotten a bunch stronger - I think it's amazing how quickly our muscles can strengthen and adapt. I will be doing all the reps before the month is over, I bet.

Pratima, I hope you got or will get good news about DS!! OMG, that poor kid. Shaving and cauterizing something on a face sounds awful. Glad he did fine!

I hope you will like iFit. Haha, now that you mention it, it's probably tough to make a rowing video very entertaining. You can't even wave your arms around

How is DD's wrist? Does she have to wait long between taking off the cast and getting back to gymnastics?

Hello to Stephanie!
Old 01-21-21, 11:00 AM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Hello all! I had yesterday off and managed to watch parts of the inauguration. It was very inspiring. Oddly enough, DS watched it at school and DD didn't. I did show her parts of it. I haven't gotten to watch any of the inauguration concert yet so will have to look for that.

It was nice having a day off with DH asleep and the kids at school. I was going to accomplish a bunch of stuff and instead decided to go easy on myself. I did still accomplish a few things but mostly just relaxed.

Today I tried out my rower with the iFit app. The app is pretty cool in that it connects to the rower and will show my metrics plus control the resistance. I'm still baffled by rowing though. I felt like my muscles were working pretty hard, but my heart rate stayed low. I'll have to try a non-beginner workout.

I'm still doing Body Beast and started phase 2 this week. The workouts are all about 30 minutes, which is great. I ran 5K yesterday and it was tough. There's only one lower body workout per week in Beast so doing some spin, row, and run will help me get more.

TonyaK, have your kids always had Monday off? How are you doing pull ups? I got some Bodylastics bands and tried those today. I also found a cheap TRX style product at TJ Maxx this weekend and will try that next week. Beast has a few pullups in the back workouts.

DS's granuloma was benign. He was of course freaking out during the procedure but not as dramatic or moving around as much as DD when she gets shots! He was lying on a table so the assistant and I held him while the doctor did the procedure. He was so self-conscious about that spot, I'm glad it was taken care of.

Stephanie, I saw you were talking about taking the boys near the Capitol and of course couldn't. Were you able to see anything in person there? I was thinking of you when I was watching it!

Monday I took DD to a physical therapist. She said overall her wrist strength and flexibility are good, and gave her a few exercises. DD is supposed to compete at a meet on 1/30, and the head coach (who works with them once a week) said she'd be fine. She told me yesterday her wrist bugs her a little when she tumbles, so she's building up gradually.

The PT will actually be at the meet, as a trainer to assist if someone gets injured. She said to email or call her beforehand and she'll also check on DD at the meet.

I'm trying to decide which pool builder to use. I've talked to 6 companies over the past couple of months. DH's birthday is tomorrow and we're heading up north (hopefully to see snow!) and I really want to decide before we go!

Old 01-22-21, 03:24 PM  
TonyaK

Hello!

Pratima, that's great news about DS! So glad it was benign.

My kids have had Mondays off since they moved to their current school (this is the second year). The school had been doing a 4-day week for one year before that.

For pull-ups, I use the bar/barre contraption that Cathe sold a few years ago. I think she sells a different version now. I have my feet on the ground, which works fine since I'm nowhere near doing a full pull-up! I do have a doorway bar in my bedroom closet door. There isn't any place in the basement to install it. I also have heavy bands and a thing you can shut in a doorway to hold onto it. The basement doesn't have any doors that open the right way to use it (you don't want to be able to pull the door open when you pull). So someday I might have to do pull-ups in a different location, which is weird but doable.

I hope you enjoy the shorter Body Beast workouts - and that you don't miss having more time with Sagi!

I'm glad DD is healing well and can get back to a meet soon! I bet she is excited.

I loved watching the Inauguration! I was worried that some sort of attack might happen, so I didn't pull the kids from school to watch. I wonder if their remote teachers would have let their classes watch if there hadn't been any fear of trouble. DS got to see some of it, since he has a lot of breaks.

We are all jealous about your pool! I don't think our HOA allows them. I also don't know if we want to take care of one. Where you are, I think it's more worth it since it hot for more of the year.

Stephanie, it sounds adventurous to try to get near the Capitol! I hope you and the boys had a fun time even if you couldn't get close.

Well, I think my zeal to do P90X and increase my steps by a lot was too much for my knee. I pulled back to let it rest more for a few days, and it is feeling a lot better. It is still tender, so I'm trying to move as much as I can without making it mad. Straight walking seems totally fine. Twisting or shifting side-to-side is rough.

Monday I skipped Plyo X and just did a long session of low impact aerobics without much side-to-side or twisting.
Tuesday I did Shoulders and Arms and Ab Ripper
Wednesday I skipped Yoga X and did Ana and Ravi's Yoga Beauty Body, which felt so good!
Thursday should have been Legs and Back but I took a rest day instead
Friday I did half of Legs and Back.

I am modifying as needed, which is what I promised myself from the beginning, so I still feel like I am successfully doing P90X.