Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 01-07-21, 11:58 AM  
Vantreesta

Pratima, I don't think there's anything free on iFit, is there? When I looked at it for tracking my elliptical workouts it didn't look like I could do anything with it without paying.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-21, 12:25 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
Pratima, I don't think there's anything free on iFit, is there? When I looked at it for tracking my elliptical workouts it didn't look like I could do anything with it without paying.
I don't think so. They do have a free trial, but that's it. I haven't seen any deals either!

I did see that you can buy discounted memberships on ebay, so I may go that route if i decide to subscribe.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-21, 01:05 PM  
Daphne M

Alison - Yesterday was terrible and I wish I could believe that it's all over. I'm so sorry it directly affected your place of work. (It took me 20 minutes to write these two sentences because I had to delete 99% of what I wrote.) I hope today will be better and that the rest will get you back on your program.

Vannie - Congrats on finding some time with your mom through Elf. I think holidays are extra tough when we miss our loved ones, but you found a way to be together with her. I really need to remember to do something like that when I miss my own parents. Oh and the ambient sounds on a row -- wonderful idea. I hope you like it. Hopefully Pratima's suggestion of iFit works out. I know you're not interested in subscribing to another app, but Hydrow has some "journeys" that are just views from the bow or stern of the boat as someone rows in various beautiful locations. All you hear is the wind, water, birds and sometimes the oars creaking. So nice.

Pratima - "Crush Your Core" might be my next mini-challenge. (Before my core crushes me, haha.) Did you find that on the Peloton app somewhere?

Peloton - It's weird how much I love the Peloton tread workouts, because half the time on a treadmill run, I end up ignoring their suggestions and picking different interval lengths and paces than the instructor recommends. I guess I like the music and the company and I'll join in the format when it works for me.

Me - Nice 3-mile run this morning that felt unexpectedly easy. It's so rewarding (but rare!) when that happens. Then I rowed for 30 minutes including the warmup/cooldown This was workout #4 of Hydrow 14-day home challenge. The main part was a 20 minute "sweat" in Miami. I really enjoyed the music and scenery on this particular row. There were two Hydrow instructors partnering on the boat to lead the row and they were so cheery and optimistic about the new year. After a while I realized it was taped in January 2020 and I was like -- oh boy, do I have news for you.

I had to improvise a bit yesterday and skipped both running and rowing. I bruised the ball of my foot the other day, so I gave my feet a break and did Cathe's upper body workout from the Perfect 30 set for the first time. I thought she included enough interesting variations from her usual sets and exercises that the workout was a nice addition. It also went by quickly, which I loved.

The amusing part is that I accidentally left my Garmin GPS on while I was doing the Perfect 30 upper body workout and I logged 2/3rds of a mile just moving around to grab weights or do the sets. The Garmin map of my movements is hilarious. Just like a billion colorful back and forth squiggles over a shadowy outline of my house. Yep, that's a Cathe workout for sure.

I meant to explain that the reason Nema's illness affects my exercise schedule is that Norm has to watch her when I leave for runs or go downstairs to my workout room, so I have to wait for him to get up before I can exercise. That leaves me a short window for workouts Mon-Fri and there's an element of unpredictability all the time because she sometimes gets very stressed about my absence.
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-21, 01:33 PM  
Mollie F.
VF Supporter

May I join you?

I'm getting back to running and walking. Aside from all the other joys of 2020, my mother died, and I had a "major depressive episode" in October (that sounds much more interesting than it actually was--basically, I couldn't get dressed or do anything except swing emotionally between grieving Mom's loss and rage). Among other things, my doctor prescribed getting outside every day, so I've started running and walking (more or less alternating days). I'm a twelve-minute walk from the multi-use paths on the shore of Lake Superior, so I have a lovely place to move. I still have a gym membership (five-minute walk from my house), but I don't want to count on it. It's the campus rec center, and people were so bad about wearing masks and social distancing that they actually had to close it toward the end of last semester. So I can't trust it or count on it, and I'm doing my running and walking outside. I've purchased Stabilicers for my shoes, as well as gaiters and some appropriate outerwear for running. So far, I've been quite comfortable (there've been a couple days I've worn my handknit mittens over my running gloves, stripping layers from my hands as I've warmed up). I'm teleworking (I'm 65 and have mild asthma, so I have a medical accommodation).

The other news is that I will be retiring at the end of June (five months and 24 days, but who's counting?), so I want to get in shape for retirement. I guess the buyout the university offered as part of pandemic budget-cutting is something I can feel grateful for in regards to 2020.

The thing I most want to get back to is playing bridge face-to-face. Bridge tournaments were canceled by the ACBL through February, and it looks like that might be extended. Our club has been closed since March, and I don't know when it will be reopened. Playing online just isn't the same.

I plan to start the Met-Rx 180 program on Monday (I've started it before, but I'm determined to finish). I'll probably skip the cardio and just do running and walking. I joined an online women's running club that "meets" on Facebook (Zooma). I also want to do more yoga.

Daphne, I'm so sorry to hear about Nema. My faithful feline Dom will be fifteen next month. I honestly don't know how I'd have handled the stay-at-home orders and WFH without him.

Be back later when I have a workout to post!

Never done rowing, although there's a club in town, and I know some of the women in it. Of course, they do their rowing outdoors.
Old 01-07-21, 01:49 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Welcome Mollie! I feel you--I lost my mom in March of 2019, and then 6 weeks later my husband was diagnosed with cancer. I spent several months of the fall going back and forth between manic activity and being practically unable to move. We did survive though.

You have some great goals! I'll be looking for you on this thread.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-21, 04:38 PM  
Daphne M

Hi Mollie - It's so good to see you here. Some quick replies before I fall too far behind.

Congrats on the upcoming retirement and ability to put your health first.

I'm sad to hear about your mom. When my parents died it felt like a triple whammy: (1) I really missed them; (2) I missed being someone's child; (3) we don't do death well as a society, so even when prepared it turns into a trauma.

Thanks for the thoughts on Nema - she's been an amazing comfort this year. I'll grieve her like a person when she's gone. Hug your Dom very tight, he's worth his weight in hairballs!

As Pratima said, you have great goals. I so agree on the part about getting outside. I've read a few things recently about some kind of hormone that we release only by going outside -- it might be serotonin but my memory is a sieve so it might be mocha chip ice cream instead. (Which would be amazing!) I'm super impressed by the women's rowing club. Outdoor rowing is a lot harder than indoor rowing, I am sure. Lots more balance and the oar has to feather in the water just so. I'm just happy that I've got the leg slide down for now.
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-21, 08:36 AM  
Mollie F.
VF Supporter

A friend recommended the book The Joy of Movement by Kelly McGonigle this year, and it's fascinating. She's a psychologist at Stanford but also teaches group fitness classes. She has a whole chapter on "green exercise," and I don't remember the name of the hormone either, but there's research that shows that gardening, literally the act of getting your hands in the dirt, reduces depression, as well as walking, running, cycling, swimming, rowing--whatever--outdoors.

She's also written a book called The Willpower Instinct, which is based on an extension course that she teaches at Stanford. Each student has to choose a willpower challenge and apply the course principles to it. This book helped me realize why I can start a workout or diet or writing program and be going great guns and then suddenly seem to lose interest--I think I deserve a reward . At least I know now.

Pratima, I'm so sorry about your mother. It seems to me that so many people I know have lost mothers in 2020, and not just people my age who know that their mothers are not going to last forever. How is your husband doing?

Daphne, you're absolutely right about the triple whammy. My mother died of Alzheimer's, so there'd already been a year or two of moments where I would think "Mom would so like this," or "Mom would have this to say about that" and they still keep coming in waves. My dad died fifteen years ago, and I'm sure the same thing happened--I just don't remember it very well.
Old 01-08-21, 09:30 AM  
Vantreesta

Winter Questions:
What activity do you REALLY hope to get back to doing in 2021? I haven't run since October bc of my glutes and I really need to get back to it! We also only hiked one wknd the entire year and we both need that back in our lives. I'm also looking forward, hopefully, to getting back to church in-person and to races.

What goals did you set for 2021? Strangely I have struggled with setting goals for the year. I didn't even get my January goals for my challenge settled until a few days into the month. I want to be more mindful and intentional every day, appreciate what I have and get back into the best shape of my life (along with losing weight). And as has been a goal for I don't know how many years now, I have to stop staying up so late!!!

2020 was rough, but was there something good from it you can share? It was the weirdest year and so hard in many ways. I guess a big positive has been getting closer to my aunt, being better about self-care and branching out with my crochet by trying new projects and learning new stitches.

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 01-08-21, 09:44 AM  
Vantreesta

Jump rope--Pratima, where did you buy your rope? I have a very cheap nylon (?) one I'm sure I bought at Walmart. I did better yesterday by jumping before I rowed. I enjoy jumping rope but I am worried that my already huge calves will get even bigger. As it is my cute knee socks I wear all winter get very tight and tall boots don't always fit.

Rowing--Nope, not interested in paying for any streaming type of service. I also think I read Hydrow is only available for Apple devices which I will never have. I have been using Dark Horse Rowing since I got my rower almost two years ago (already???) and I saw there is a rowing channel on YT with scenic rows. I haven't watched yet to know if they're guided or just scenic. I had planned on rewatching favorite TV series while I row but found listening to Kid Rock produces a better workout. My rower weighs so little I carried it all around the thrift store where I bought it. Okay, my biceps were a little sore the next day but bah!

Strength training--My brother and his family bought me a Bluray player for Christmas to replace my dead DVD player so as soon as we get that hooked up (TV is mounted on the wall and the cords are run through the wall so hopefully hubby can get that done this wknd since I am clueless) I will resume my Perfect 30/XTrain rotation.

Running--I miss it! I keep forgetting and wondering why I haven't been running for so long and then we'll jog across the street and my left glutes loudly remind me. I have got to get back to my PT exercises and strength work.

Old 01-08-21, 10:05 AM  
Vantreesta

Daphne, I'm sorry the end is near for Nema. It is so hard. My mom had decided after their last dog died that she didn't want to go through that pain again. I wish the painful part wasn't there, but I can't see me ever giving up the joy of having a dog in order to avoid the pain. I miss D'Argo and Chianna so much. And Cyric has been such an amazing part of my life. He has a host of challenges with his distrust of pretty much everyone, terrible dog reactivity and anxiety, but oh my gosh he is so worth it for me. He gives me more than he takes, which is pretty incredible. He made the trips to AZ with me to be with my mom and I can't imagine if I hadn't adopted him. Anyway, I believe Nema will let you know when she's ready. Our vet says you can see in their eyes. But my heart hurts for you as it is still never easy. So happy you love your rower so much and congrats on the weight loss!

Alison, you have been on my mind with the events in DC. I'm glad you weren't in the office at the time but agree that would be scary to hear your building is on lockdown. Great job with the weight loss and rotations!

Pratima, I'm glad work has picked up for you. How are your kids dealing with being home so much? My nephews haven't been in school since March. My brother hasn't really said much about how they're doing but I know the younger one was bummed that football was cancelled. I think he's also more social so my guess is he is having a harder time than the older one who is very academically driven and studied all the time even when school was in-person.

Mollie, so happy to have you join us! I'm so sorry about your mom and your depression. It has been a really rotten year for so many. My mother-in-law had dementia and was unsafe to stay at home any longer. She was in assisted living for two years and we lost her this past March. My mom was diagnosed with ALS in April 2019 and we lost her almost exactly a month after my mother-in-law. I can't tell you how hard it has been losing two of the most important people in my life within a month of each other. Ever since my mother-in-law went into assisted living I have tried so hard to be strong for everyone else and built up a wall around my own emotions that has been very hard to let come down. I am definitely a work in progress. It has been harder to hold everything in since the holidays are over and my mom's birthday was Dec 27th. I keep busy most of the time and can't seem to stop doing so even though I know I need to just sit with the grief and mourn my losses. I keep saying someday when the house is cleaned, when I'm more organized, when.... fill in the blank that I'm filling my time with. Cyric and I walk 2-3 times every day and this is good for keeping me from laying around wallowing. We both need the fresh air and exercise and the quality time together. I'm glad you have your beloved Dom to keep you company and help you through!

I really hope to post more this year and keep up. I would like to go back to the last thread and answer questions I missed but not making any promises.

Yesterday's workouts:
Thu 1/7 127 minutes
16 minutes (from Fightmaster Yoga: Yoga for Beginners 30-day Challenge at Home day 7, YT) (Sadhana day 7) R-AM 1st time
7 minutes (from L. Holden 30-Day Qi Gong challenge day 24) R-AM 1st time
22 minutes (from Crossrope 12 Days of Crossrope Challenge day 2) W-AM 1st time
8 minutes (from 1.0 mile Dark Horse Rowing: Rowvember day 7) R-AM
11 minutes (from L. Wyndham-Read Fitness Advent Calendar day 7 -7 Minute Leg Workout with Inner Thigh & Glute, YT) R-AM 1st time
63 minutes (from 2 dog walks 4.12 mi)