Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-02-21, 04:13 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Carol, Donna, Negin, and other Pahla fans -- thanks for your Pahla recommendation and great explanations of what her program is like. I've been really struggling with perimenopause weight gain over the last couple of years. The more I work out and the harder I work out, it seems the more weight I gain, the more depressed I get, the more injuries I rack up.

I finally gained some clarity as to why this is happening after watching Pahla's videos that were posted in this thread. I injured myself yet again a couple weeks ago doing some higher impact stuff and basically over-exercising yet again. It finally clicked in my head that I've been doing more harm than good to myself for the past year or so.

I guess I've been perimenopausal since around age 44, and I'm 47 now. So a good three years of bizarre health problems and 25 pound weight gain. Nothing has worked. It literally keeps climbing. I literally look like a totally different person than I did just 3 years ago. I'm still cycling very regularly, but I can feel a noticeable drop in estrogen though over the past year. But really who knows how long I'll be perimenopausal for. (My mom was done at 45 and barely knew she was in menopause, and she really doesn't understand my struggle with all of this.)

So, I'm going try Pahla's over-50 plan and the over-50 weight loss month of videos on youtube. (I'm on day 2 today, and I thoroughly enjoyed her chattiness and found the workouts to be fun, and most importantly, don't wipe me out!)

I've been charting my macros (and water) in an app for the past few months, so I know that my calories have been kind of all over the board for the past year, and not consistent at all. It does kind of make sense though, I can totally see that when I work out and do a lot of weights that I eat a ton and snack a lot more than I should. I hope I'm not violating diet rules here.

Does anyone add on CS/Essentrics or other walking during the day? I would like to continue my CS/Essentrics daily since I really benefit from that. I would also like to walk for 20-30 mins in addition to Pahla's since I work from home and really need the extra movement. I also like Ellen's workouts but now I'm fearful of doing too much again.

Also, does anyone else struggle with idea of doing less? I guess coming from a 6 day hardish (like Cathe, Tracie Long, KCM, etc) workout schedule down to her workouts is mentally tough for me. I'm really struggling with the less is more theory since I'm a MORE is MORE type of exerciser. But I know that's not sustainable anymore. The same with my caloric intake, trying to eat enough to recover from hard workouts just isn't sustainable either.

Any help with Pahla's plan appreciated!
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-21, 04:29 PM  
donnamp

Lori - I hear you - I continue to struggle with the thought that I should be doing more. It really is a mindset shift to move to these types of workouts. I find listening to Pahla's Q&As to be very helpful. I think if you are in her Facebook group she does one every Friday, and does one on You Tube every month. They are very helpful in reinforcing the concepts of moderation.

I personally do add on some other things - I also like CS, Pilates, and additional walking. I also have a desk job and get even less movement working from home.

I would say that you can add on so long as you feel good and are not getting over tired or injured. Err on the side of doing less. Also, keep an eye on your hunger - is adding on making you hungrier? Is it affecting your sleep or energy in any way? If so it may be a sign that you are adding on too much. As Pahla says, everyone's "moderate" is different.

I also do sometimes add Ellen in as well - love her - the good thing about Pahla's workouts are that you really can take a day off whenever you want and not miss anything - just pick up where you left off. So, for instance, if you wanted to do an Ellen workout - you could skip a day on Pahla's rotation - do your Ellen workout and then pick up Pahla's rotation where you left off.

Good luck - it is a mindset shift to come to terms that doing less may actually get you where you want to go.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-21, 09:23 AM  
Lori_Michigan

Thanks, Donna!

I'm not on Facebook, but I just subscribed to her newsletter and it has some links to some of her podcasts so I guess I should start there.

It's just very hard to go from MORE is MORE to less is more for me at this stage when my mind really thinks I should be doing a lot more than this but my body just can't adapt and the scale just keeps going up no matter what I do or eat. I'm to the point where absolutely nothing works and trying new things just makes me gain even more weight each month. Or I actually lose a few pounds and then it just comes right back the next month. But I guess I should at least stick with this for a month and see what happens.

Oddly enough, I really enjoy Pahla's chattiness, and I'm a person who can't even walk on the treadmill without music!
Old 03-03-21, 09:35 AM  
donnamp

Hi!

Lori - I'm not on facebook either but you can listen to Pahla's You Tube Q&As and also some of her run/walk videos and fitness matters podcasts (also on you tube) have a lot of good information.

The biggest challenge is overcoming your mindset that tells you that these short, moderate workouts are not enough and that is going to take time, and will probably always be a struggle to some extent since everything we have heard up until this point and pretty much everything we continue to hear is to do more - and eat, if not necessarily less than in a certain way.

Pahla does recommend tackling one thing at a time - and it totally makes sense. For now, just work on your mind and teach your brain to tell you that this is enough.

When thinking about adding in other things - like walking or CS or Ellen or whatever, think about it more as adding movement rather than exercise. Movement is good - more "exercise" may not be. Movement is just that, movement whereas if you think about it as exercise or working out you may be inclined to push harder.

It really is a long term "project" to change the way you think about things. I struggle with it - Pahla herself admits to it, too.

It is funny how her chattiness grew on me, too. Now it is like my exercise "date" with a friend whenever I workout w/ her.

Hang in there - I hope this brings some relief from all that you have been dealing w/ health wise.

Donna
Old 03-03-21, 02:15 PM  
Karla25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
The Firm and Slim Series were the only 2 systems i can vouch for. people noticed before i did that i had lost weight when i did the F90DR the first time - it was physically noticeable. come to find out, i had lost about 8 pounds.

Slim Series helped me get to pre-wedding weight after all 3 of my pregnancies. in the food department, fiber was key. PM me for details.

i tagged this thread with success stories.
The Firm works! When I did the Firm regularly for 20+ years, I was a size 6 and ate (in moderation) what I wanted. When I started doing non-cardio workouts for variety, I started putting on weight.

I’m going to dedicate March to doing mostly Firm workouts to see what results I can achieve. It’s taking me a bit to get used to them. I used to do a different Firm classic (and other 1 hour Firm videos) daily and thought them fairly easy. I don’t feel that way now and allow myself a recovery day in which I do stretching or yoga. I hope to get back to where I can do a Firm 5/6 days a week again.
Old 03-03-21, 02:17 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Thanks again, Donna, for your positivity and encouragement. It truly makes a difference in my day, and I am really thankful to you for that.

I've spent all day listening to her Q & A's on Youtube. I really need to listen to these every day I think!
Old 03-03-21, 03:58 PM  
donnamp

Lori -

I'm glad I could help and the Q&A's, too, at this point - what can you lose - just give it a try. It does take a lot of mindset work to be comfortable with doing less, but give it a chance and see if it works for you.

I did Pahla's workout on my lunch hour today - what is really nice is - under 30 minutes, and I don't get super sweaty so I can be back in front of my computer pretty quickly.

While I am not really struggling w/ my weight, I do struggle w/ the aches and pains....I swear I need a warm-up for my warm-up's sometimes.

I am enjoying the routine I am following now which is a CS episode and a short Pilates session in the morning before work, Pahla at lunch time, and w/ the weather improving and the days getting longer, an outdoor walk in the evenings.

This seems to work for me....sometimes I'll throw in an Ellen workout or something else if I feel like it - but Pahla's stuff is easy to "pause" and come back to at any time since the workouts are moderate.

Hope you have good luck w/ the program!!

I think as we get older we have to look at what is sustainable. And what makes us feel good and move better. I do like CS for that because the mobility I get from it makes me move more like a younger person. I'm 53, by the way, not "old" but not "young" either - I think we all feel aging at different times and in different ways. For me, it is definitely the aches and pains....

Donna
Old 03-03-21, 09:48 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Lori,

When I was losing weight last summer, I listened to a lot of Pahla's Q & A's and some of her podcasts. Even though there was a lot of repetition, I found that that was really what I needed - to hear the same messaging, over and over again.

It is a struggle to not think you aren't doing enough - I used to feel that way as well. We are conditioned to think that more is always better, but it's not.

As for adding things on, like Donna I often will add on a dog walk and/or some pilates or stretching. Doing a dog walk ensures that I will not try to turn that walk into some kind of aerobic event - my dogs are dawdlers.

You can do this!

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-21, 08:49 AM  
Lori_Michigan

Thanks, Carol! I really appreciate your support. It means a lot to me.

It really is the mindset that I really am struggling with. But it's great to hear that others have had success with less. I know I certainly don't do well with more at this stage in my life! I guess knowing what doesn't work anymore is half the battle...
Old 03-04-21, 03:49 PM  
Negin

Lori, I'm struggling also. I look forward to starting her Weight Loss Challenge and her entire approach in April. Donna and Carol have been so encouraging and helpful. I try to listen to the Pahla Q&As and Podcasts as often as I can. I'm learning so much and her approach makes sense. Wishing you all the best with this.

Tags
diabetes, pahla bowers, rotation, rotations, success stories, successful weight loss, system, systems, weight loss