Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-20, 04:09 PM  
Messe

Coming out of lurkdom in search of opinions on Cathe's Gym Styles, which are on sale for $24.95 today. I rarely do splits, and I'm currently addicted to PHA-style workouts on DVD and Cathe Live, but I might, just might, want to do a rotation of Pure Strength at some point, and alternating weeks with the Gym Styles might keep me from losing interest.

Y'all rock, by the way!

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Messe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-20, 04:51 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messe View Post
Coming out of lurkdom in search of opinions on Cathe's Gym Styles, which are on sale for $24.95 today. I rarely do splits, and I'm currently addicted to PHA-style workouts on DVD and Cathe Live, but I might, just might, want to do a rotation of Pure Strength at some point, and alternating weeks with the Gym Styles might keep me from losing interest.

Y'all rock, by the way!
Martha I think that price is a bargain...GS have so much versatility with the premixes!!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-20, 05:45 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey12 View Post
I'm in with the original Imax! I realized last night I still have Cathe's new PHA 3 from the Step Boss series that I didn't even try yet. I don't normally let new workouts sit like that. I'm having so much fun doing the old Cathe stuff right now though.

Kim
PHA3 is FUUUUUNNNNN!!!!! And challenging too. My favorite PHA so far, either DVD or Live.

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-20, 05:50 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Yay I got a replacement for HST! Hopefully will get it this week as I'd really like to do that one!
I think this is so much fun you girls!!! Lots of sharing of rotations, encouragement and we're even helping each other find missing Cathe workouts.

Maybe I should add in IMAX this week since so many of you are doing it?

I am always undecided if I like splits better or total body. I must say when I do splits I hit those specific body parts much harder that with total body. It changes from day to day with me!

Waves to all.
Martha: Do not hesitate..pick up the Gym Styles!

So today I popped in the good ol' Power Hour. Lots of reps, lots of pulses, lots of reps. This one is very much like Les Mills Body Pump, just Cathe style. Go heavy enough and you'll sure feel it. But you really can't go too heavy with the number of reps.

Have a GREAT week FIERCE women!

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

Old 02-24-20, 06:52 PM  
Mickey12

I wanted to do a really, really old Cathe today that wasn't step or weights because I plan on doing the original Imax this week too. I chose Body Max (the one on the Power Hour compilation disc). Only problem is that the cardio is step so I decided to do it without the step. It worked great and it was really fun. I stopped around the 45 minute mark and did the cooldown and stretch. During the power circuit intervals instead of doing the lower body weight work, I did upper body.

So I feel sort of like I cheated on this one because the cardio wasn't that tough and I didn't do the entire workout. Not too fierce today. I enjoyed myself though, it's fun to see Cathe and crew so very young and full of energy.

Enjoy your workouts everyone.

Kim
Mickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-20, 07:36 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Martha, GET THE GYM STYLES. That is an incredible deal and they are so worth having!

Manleym, laughing at you...about to start calling you Manley The Enabler Extraordinaire!!

KateTT, I LOVES Power Hour. I'm finding I like going back and forth between total body and splits, experimenting with both!

Kim, I wasn't feeling too fierce today either! I did Gym Style Chest and Triceps and felt way less strong than I have the last two weeks, had to drop down in weight load a lot earlier than before because I was even feeling downright unsafe in some places. This rotation has really caught up with me or something! But that's okay, because we both finished our workouts, so we're still fierce!
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-20, 08:07 PM  
Messe

Okay, okay, you collectively twisted my arm! Gym Styles will probably be in my hot little hands by the end of the week.

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Messe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-20, 08:28 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Quote:
Okay, okay, you collectively twisted my arm! Gym Styles will probably be in my hot little hands by the end of the week.
And then you'll join us (or join before that!), right??
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-20, 11:45 AM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Kim: that's a great way to do Body Max. It's so long too, but I remember it being super fun. I love the older workouts too! It's NOT a cheat as long as you got up and did something and it was fun to boot!

Kittybug: Cathe's workouts DO catch up with you, and quicker than you think sometimes. But you just do what you can. Like I told Kim, at least you showed up and got some work done! Better than the couch and donuts!

Martha: I really don't think you'll be disappointed with the Gym Styles. Really top notch strength workouts if you ask me. We'd love to have you join us!

So I went with Interval Max today!!! FUN!!! I used one riser instead of two like Cathe and team but I didn't preview so wasn't sure what was coming. One riser was just fine - maybe next time I'll try two.
I love the way this workout is laid out with the slower steady state cardio and then the interval blasts. I liked the up and down of my HR - and none of the moves were hard at all (choreography). I personally liked the repetition as I could get into the moves without thinking. Yes high impact in spots but not killer. Totally modifiable. Totally fun!

NOTES: Poor Cedie really needs a good sports bra in this one and in Max Intensity Cardio. Poor girl is bouncing all over the place. Ow.
In Imax, the last two tracks have a song that I swear is the Munsters tv show theme. So in honor of that, I found myself groaning like Lurch by the time I got to those last two sets. UHHHHHGGGGGG

Dang this whole Cathe rotation is so fun! I'll do my planned Michelle Dozois workout later this week as it also looked like fun when I previewed.

Have a goodie!

ETA: Contemplating my next Cathe step workout. What are your thoughts on Rhythmic Step, Imax 2 or Imax 3 next?

Old 02-25-20, 12:23 PM  
manleym

Kim, I agree with the others. Motion is lotion. As long as you're moving, it counts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittybug View Post
Martha, GET THE GYM STYLES. That is an incredible deal and they are so worth having!

Manleym, laughing at you...about to start calling you Manley The Enabler Extraordinaire!!
Says the one who twists Messe's arm!!

Quote:
Messe, I'm glad you bought them! No regrets! You'll be glad to have them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateTT View Post
So I went with Interval Max today!!! FUN!!! I used one riser instead of two like Cathe and team but I didn't preview so wasn't sure what was coming. One riser was just fine - maybe next time I'll try two.
I love the way this workout is laid out with the slower steady state cardio and then the interval blasts. I liked the up and down of my HR - and none of the moves were hard at all (choreography). I personally liked the repetition as I could get into the moves without thinking. Yes high impact in spots but not killer. Totally modifiable. Totally fun!

NOTES: Poor Cedie really needs a good sports bra in this one and in Max Intensity Cardio. Poor girl is bouncing all over the place. Ow.
In Imax, the last two tracks have a song that I swear is the Munsters tv show theme. So in honor of that, I found myself groaning like Lurch by the time I got to those last two sets. UHHHHHGGGGGG
KateTT, you crack me up!!! Thanks for the feedback about Interval Max. I just previewed it to see if there are tricky moves because I plan on doing it today. I did GS Legs yesterday so it was encouraging to read that IMax isn't too intense. Sounds doable a day after GS Legs. But now the only thing I'll be watching is Cedie bouncing around!!
manleym is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
analysis paralysis, cathe, cathe rotation, cathe rotation checkin, cathe rotations, too many choices, too many options, variety, watulan check-in