Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-01-15, 12:00 AM  
MARIKA

Beauty Thread 2015

My new obsession for the year is healthy shiny hair! I got Natural Instincts Happy shine conditioner, Frederick Fakkie(sp) Glossing shampoo and Conditioner and the 1.5 inch Hair perfector brush plus the iTs a 10 leave in Hair Treatment!
Old 01-01-15, 06:54 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARIKA View Post
My new obsession for the year is healthy shiny hair! I got Natural Instincts Happy shine conditioner, Frederick Fakkie(sp) Glossing shampoo and Conditioner and the 1.5 inch Hair perfector brush plus the iTs a 10 leave in Hair Treatment!
I'm almost finished growing out my color, and I, too, am obsessed with shine, shine for my white/silver hairs. I ordered John Frieda Liquid Shine Clear Hair Glaze from Amazon (too lazy to leave the farm-ilini this week).

I'm looking for shine products specifically for silver/white/grey hair.

I got some shampoo that's supposed to mitigate yellowing, and I add that to my other shampoo because I don't want purple hair, just yet, anyway.

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know (I know a number of women on this board love Wen, but Wen gives me a caul, so that's out).

I got a trim a couple of weeks ago, and the short cut isn't quite as cute as the one I had before. I am wondering what a good, easy to care for, hairstyle might be that would showcase the silver.

I kinda like Ellen Byrstyn's short and wavy cut.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-15, 07:17 AM  
TracyQ

Demeris--sorry I don't have an answer for you but I do have a question. I'm thinking about growing my hair out this year. I'm 51-years old and get it professionally dyed and highlighted every 5-weeks. It's expensive and I am tired of all the time I spend in the chair. I have an appointment scheduled for Wednesday but am considering canceling.

I'm reluctant because I work in a professional office and I'm concerned about how it's going to look as it grows out. My hair is shoulder length and I don't want to cut it. How long did it take to grow out your hair? Do you have any tips or advice to get through the "growing out" phase?

Marika--how do you like the Hair Perfector?

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-15, 07:48 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyQ View Post
Demeris--sorry I don't have an answer for you but I do have a question. I'm thinking about growing my hair out this year. I'm 51-years old and get it professionally dyed and highlighted every 5-weeks. It's expensive and I am tired of all the time I spend in the chair. I have an appointment scheduled for Wednesday but am considering canceling.

I'm reluctant because I work in a professional office and I'm concerned about how it's going to look as it grows out. My hair is shoulder length and I don't want to cut it. How long did it take to grow out your hair? Do you have any tips or advice to get through the "growing out" phase?
I cut my hair short when I decided to stop coloring it. I took pictures of Lisa Rinna's and Jane Fonda's haircut (very similar) to my hair stylist.

I colored my hair last on June 4th. I've kept the same haircut since then (although sometimes the cut is cuter and sometimes it's a bit too utilitarian for my tastes).

The cut has lots of layers, so the gray didn't even show (and I asked trusted friends for honest responses) until I got it cut in October. I had planned to buy a wig and wear hats during the growing out stage--and in October I had about two inches of color on the ends. At that awkward stage, I decided to white knuckle the growing out. Because I am retired, it really only mattered when I went to church or out to eat with friends. I was almost tempted to get a chapel veil for church, but only one ancient abuelita in my parish wears a chapel veil, so I chickened out.

Now the 1/8 of an inch that still has color is noticeable only when I lift up a layer and lean in toward the mirror to examine it.

Had I not been willing to cut my hair short for the duration, or were I still working, I probably would have gone the wig/hat route.
Old 01-01-15, 08:37 AM  
suzannaerin

Short cuts do not work for me, so when I decided to go natural, my stylist eased the transition from single process permanent (red) to semi-permanent color in my natural light brown. The process took about six months, and there was a difference between the permanent and semi growth. Kind of my own ombré thing! I am in a professional, fairly conservative work environment, as well. Was it pretty? No, but worth it. It wasn't that bad, I had a good cut, longer layers. I now get dark blonde highlights, partial, every three or four months to soften the difference between the silver/white stripes (it grows in patches) and the remaining brown. I love my natural silver, very white and sparkly, so I cannot wait until the brown is gone.
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-15, 10:27 AM  
TracyQ

Demerits and Suzanne--thank you both for your responses. I've decided to keep my appointment Wednesday and discuss my plan with my stylist. She should be able to help me with the transition. I can't wear short hair but I'll have her cut lots of layers.

When my mother grew her hair out it was a beautiful shade of sparkly silver-white and she got lots of compliments. I'm hoping mine is the same shade. I'm not looking for compliments though. I'm doing it because I can no longer stand sitting in the salon chair for three hours (I have very thick hair and it takes forever to color/highlight/cut and blow dry). Plus the more I process it the frizzier it gets. It seems like a big waste of time and money at this point in life.

Thanks again.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-15, 10:47 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyQ View Post
I'm doing it because I can no longer stand sitting in the salon chair for three hours (I have very thick hair and it takes forever to color/highlight/cut and blow dry). . . . It seems like a big waste of time and money at this point in life.
Preach it, sister!

I resented the H E Double Hockey Sticks out of that time suck when I was working. Once I retired, that monthly appointment seemed like insanity.
Old 01-01-15, 11:13 AM  
BunnyHop

I still remember growing out my bangs. Ugh.

I did get my stylist to help, it made a big difference.

Thanks for sharing your stories, it reminds me why I don't color.

Mine's just beyond fingertip length, no layers. As much as I'd love a bit of a professional trim, I can't stomach the routine of regular salon visits so I do it myself.

Beauty-wise? I've been a bad girl. Bought lip gloss, some skin care and some eye shadow primer just this morning only because I had a bit of a discount on Sephora.

Mostly I need to get my brows done, but I have never found anyone I wanted to go back to. Any advice?
Old 01-01-15, 11:30 AM  
suzannaerin

That's why I stopped too. The money and time
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-15, 08:08 AM  
adrien_73

Sorry to veer off the hair topic, but I need help!

I had a cold which resulted in an eye infection about a month ago. Since then my eyes are terribly red and irritated all of the time. I threw out all of my eye makeup and washed everything as the usual protocol suggests, and still can't get this under control. I am on my 2nd round of prescription eye drops from my doctor.

I have always used the same eyeliner and mascara. (Cover Girl Perfect Point and I forget the mascara but it is in a bright green tube) I thought I might try Almay since it says "hypo-allergenic" on the label.

Could you recommend any other eye products geared toward super-sensitive eyes?

P.S. I thought about not wearing eye makeup anymore, but I don't look human without it!
adrien_73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beauty thread, gray hair, grey hair