Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-08-20, 08:08 PM  
geojill

I am sorry about all the stress you are dealing with. You know what helped me a lot this year, with stress and managing my weight? Walking. I know we are going into winter, but I still bundle up and walk on my breaks when it gets too cold and/or windy. Throughout the year, I walked about 10k steps a day and did 10-30 minutes of yoga 3-6 times a week. Because that is really all I could mentally handle. And I ended up losing 10 pounds. I did not improve my diet, and we went about 2 months where we ate takeout more than cooked.

If you can add walking into your routine, especially outside in the sun, it will definitely help with stress and will be good for you physically too.

ETA: I just noticed you are in Philly. Not exactly the best place to get out walking (I’ve lived there). But as some have said, maybe some Jessica Smith? I forgot to include that I also have a Bellicon rebounder and would jog on that for 10-20 minutes here or there to Virtual Active downloads (Panama and Costa Rica are my favorite winter runs). That was included in my 10k steps. Just relaxing jogging to warm up for yoga.
Old 12-08-20, 08:25 PM  
Gams

It’s frustrating for me to read all the posts by people who have lost weight through exercise, reduction of stress or just incidental movement and not changing diet. No matter how much I exercise, it has never made a difference in my weight - ever.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-20, 09:07 PM  
maitai

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharma_gal View Post
I would love to follow a program which had both strength and cardio components.
The Firm
maitai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-20, 06:45 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
It’s frustrating for me to read all the posts by people who have lost weight through exercise, reduction of stress or just incidental movement and not changing diet. No matter how much I exercise, it has never made a difference in my weight - ever.
Gams, although I think exercise can compliment, or even stand in the way of, weight loss, at my age it's all about what and how much I eat. No if's, and's or but's. When I was younger, it was a slightly different story.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-20, 08:19 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhsmom View Post
Gams, although I think exercise can compliment, or even stand in the way of, weight loss, at my age it's all about what and how much I eat. No if's, and's or but's. When I was younger, it was a slightly different story.

Carol
This is my experience, although up until I was 35-38, I could exercise away the pounds. Now, at 63, what and how much I eat determines my weight and my size.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-20, 03:12 PM  
CabCalloway

Stress and life in general had packed the pounds on me over the years. Seeing that heaviness and Covid together is a deadly combo I swore I'd increase my exercise and ask my doctor for advice. I did the increase in activity (though not as much as I wanted) and I followed my doctor's advice to the letter. In short I lost 35 lbs since July; I'm back to the weight that I was in my early 30's (I'm 61 but who's counting?). I think it's against the rules to be specific about nutrition plans but if it's not against the rules to share it offline, feel free to PM me for info. (Moderator: please let me know if I'm on shaky ground).

Now we just need those vaccines to be ubiquitous so we can really kick up outside activity.

Waves to all,
CabC
CabCalloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-20, 04:12 PM  
lavna

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharma_gal View Post
This year has been pretty awful and I have gained 15 pounds partly due to the stress of everything from home schooling to COVID to going through a divorce and moving etc etc. but also doctor put me on an anti depressant for a few months to cope with it all. And I have been very inconsistent with working out and nutrition. I was shocked when I got on the scale yesterday after a few months.

I am looking for an intermediate program to follow because I do well with systems/rotations. I love Cathe but right now her workouts sound a bit intimidating for me. Any recommendations? I am going to work on the nutrition part but I would love to follow a program which had both strength and cardio components.

Thanks!!
You might take a look at Debra Aktinson. She promotes the use of weights and cardio. She has a lot of things on her website, Flippingfifty.com, on Facebook and youtube.
lavna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-20, 04:14 PM  
Tugger31

I agree, that weight loss is more nutrition than anything. Since stress contributed to your weight gain in the first place, don't stress too much about the particular program, though it is easier to have a program.

I like Jessica's Walk Strong programs. They are pretty well rounded and her sweet disposition is a bright spot in this dark pandemic world! Consider even doing a workout every other day to start.

As far as nutrition, focus on overall moving in the right direction and not trying to reinvent the wheel. Small changes turn into more habits. You can start with small goals, like drinking 2 water bottles per day for an example. Don't try to do too much at once, it's just overwhelming! Good luck to you!!
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-20, 05:05 PM  
gladgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CabCalloway View Post
Stress and life in general had packed the pounds on me over the years. Seeing that heaviness and Covid together is a deadly combo I swore I'd increase my exercise and ask my doctor for advice. I did the increase in activity (though not as much as I wanted) and I followed my doctor's advice to the letter. In short I lost 35 lbs since July; I'm back to the weight that I was in my early 30's (I'm 61 but who's counting?). I think it's against the rules to be specific about nutrition plans but if it's not against the rules to share it offline, feel free to PM me for info. (Moderator: please let me know if I'm on shaky ground).

Now we just need those vaccines to be ubiquitous so we can really kick up outside activity.

Waves to all,
CabC

Am pm-ing you for more details on what you did.
Am packing on, unable to follow any plans and stress levels high!
TIA
gladgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-20, 05:47 PM  
donnamp

geojill - very good advice about walking and getting out in the sun....I struggle w/ that b/c of my work demands (not to self - do not work for a public health department during a pandemic!) - over the summer I was able to go walking after work but now it is dark. I do try to get out when I can - during the week and my DD and I do take a long walk on Sunday and a short walk on Saturday...so that is something....

And, Gams, I think exercise is not as important as what and how much you are eating....when it comes to weight loss.

Donna
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
diabetes, pahla bowers, rotation, rotations, success stories, successful weight loss, system, systems, weight loss