Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-10-19, 09:52 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Ellen's workouts

I love Ellen and her workouts. I really do, but it seems that every time I do one of her DVDs I end up with a painful lower back. Just recently I purchased Power Fusion and after doing this workout just once, I've ended up with a significant lower back pain. I suspect it's one of these "floor scoops" she does that don't work for me - even if I modify. My lower back has been aching for couple of weeks now, and that just sucks the life out of me, particularly that I've been very careful about my back and have been pain-free for the past 2 years

Anyone else has any similar issues with Ellen's workouts?
Old 09-10-19, 10:16 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I love Ellen also. Her streaming workouts seem to be a bit more balanced...I always would tweak my shoulders with her older workouts.

I also like the length...she has a couple workouts that are all floor and 15 minutes long, two standing sculpt workouts that are 15 and 20 minutes, several 30 minute and 2 45 minute workouts.

Ellen's streaming is a bargain at $5.95/month. I think it's well worth it. She developing some nice new workouts.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-19, 06:42 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I have to watch my lower back very carefully with Ellen. I’d love to use her streaming, but I just can’t get good WiFi in my workout area.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-19, 06:47 AM  
alisoncooks

Not with Ellen, but I have similar experiences with Classical Stretch. (And Miranda does the same sort of plié scooping reaching motion that Ellen employs.)

Ellen is more likely to aggravate my shoulders and wrists.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-19, 08:11 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
Not with Ellen, but I have similar experiences with Classical Stretch. (And Miranda does the same sort of plié scooping reaching motion that Ellen employs.)
It is really important to tuck the tailbone under when you have your arms extended in front with those scooping or reaching movements. Round the back to protect the lower back. Applies to Essentrics and Ellen's workouts.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-19, 08:28 AM  
mamaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
I have to watch my lower back very carefully with Ellen. I’d love to use her streaming, but I just can’t get good WiFi in my workout area.
Have you looked into a WiFi booster? There are some inexpensive ones out there. Your internet provider might even have some for free. Our modem is all the way in the front of the house. We use boosters upstairs and downstairs to cover our house. It works really well and might help your coverage problem.

To the OP: Yes, sometimes, but I have an unbelievably weak core. I’m surprised I can hold myself upright!
Old 09-11-19, 09:32 AM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

some things I believe we really aren't suppose to do with our spine. Check the form on the exercise, it may be something your back does not agree with.

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-19, 11:03 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaste View Post
Have you looked into a WiFi booster? There are some inexpensive ones out there. Your internet provider might even have some for free. Our modem is all the way in the front of the house. We use boosters upstairs and downstairs to cover our house. It works really well and might help your coverage problem.

To the OP: Yes, sometimes, but I have an unbelievably weak core. I’m surprised I can hold myself upright!
I work out downstairs. The modem is upstairs and the room was added on and has a cement ceiling. The cable guy said there’s just too many walls and corners. I get it, but the workouts are really buffered. I have been thinking about trying another extender. Thanks for the reminder.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-19, 11:33 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Lately I've neglected doing any regular stretching and that may have also contributed to the lower back pain flare up. I've been exercising regularly for the past 2 years - with no problems, but I haven't done any Ellen. The first time I did it, after 2 years, my lower back pain came back and it was immediately after I finished the DVD. Maybe Ellen is just not for me. I'm going back to yoga, Leslie walks and some pilates for core strength and flexibility. I want to do Cathe LITE rotation in October or November and I want to be ready for it.
Old 09-11-19, 11:52 AM  
sherry7899

Ellen always bothers my shoulders. I love her personality, positive mesage, sets and music but I am afraid to do any of her workouts again. Maybe I will try her streaming since they are less shoulder intensive.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ellen barrett, streaming help, tech help