Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 09-11-19, 07:44 AM  
buffmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
Buff, I use an armband for my phone for running. I've always been pretty happy with them but the velcro on my current one isn't great. I keep getting annoyed that it's sliding down the last few runs.

Vannie - An armband was my first thought. But I am usually cooler than most people and figured it would be easier to take a jacket off/on with the belt.
Sandy - Pulling out S90. Wish it had an upper body workout and not just splits then I would use it more.

Saw a bunch of pilates for runners on youtube and plan on trying some as long as they're not mostly legs!
Old 09-11-19, 09:21 AM  
Vantreesta

Oh, that definitely makes sense, Buff. I've only run one race where I had to take off sleeves. Either my races are warm enough I know I won't want sleeves within minutes so start off chilly or they're so cold I will wear sleeves the whole race (Turkey Trot)!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-19, 05:13 PM  
SandyO

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffmama View Post
Thanks Sandy for your patience with my questions. Also found capri's in hot pink with...2 pockets!
I love flashy colored running shorts/capri/tights.

That's why we're in this check in. To encourage and help each other. I can only say what's worked or not for me, but that often is enough to help someone else avoid a mistake.

Vannie, the weather this week hasn't been conducive to running.

With all the rain this week, I decided to finish S90 this week, run only once, do the Kiskstart series next week while getting in 3 runs. I will finish up the second round of Cassey on Fri, Sep 20. That's my drop dead day to decide 10k, half, or 50k for Wild Duluth. I guess if the half fills before then I will have to do the 50k.

Sandy O
Old 09-11-19, 09:28 PM  
Vantreesta

Buff, what are you using for your interval timer? Does Runkeeer have a timer or are you using a different app?

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 09-12-19, 08:14 AM  
buffmama

Quote:
Buff, what are you using for your interval timer? Does Runkeeer have a timer or are you using a different app?
I started with 1 min intervals and moved to 2:1 so kept the apt on 1 min audio alert. Distance trigger is by the mile primarily but includes 1.25, 1.5, 1.75 miles (ie. not .5 miles or 2.5). Time intervals are 1 min to 5 mins than every 5 min. I couldn't come up with a better system. If you can, I'm all ears! Girlfriend tells me my distance, average pace and current pace every minute. Maybe I should try some earphones before the race?
Old 09-12-19, 08:28 AM  
buffmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyO View Post
I have been bringing a salted snack for right after my runs (chick peas or potatoes with salt sprinkled on top) and a bottle of water. Sandy O
This gave me the idea for roasting chickpeas with everything but the bagel seasoning. Looking forward to those!

<<Fri, Sep 20. That's my drop dead day to decide 10k, half, or 50k for Wild Duluth. I guess if the half fills before then I will have to do the 50k.>>
In my head you're a superhero Sandy so I definitely think you can not only do it, but rock it! (And if you can't, you'll still be a superhero
Old 09-12-19, 08:40 AM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffmama View Post
I started with 1 min intervals and moved to 2:1 so kept the apt on 1 min audio alert. Distance trigger is by the mile primarily but includes 1.25, 1.5, 1.75 miles (ie. not .5 miles or 2.5). Time intervals are 1 min to 5 mins than every 5 min. I couldn't come up with a better system. If you can, I'm all ears! Girlfriend tells me my distance, average pace and current pace every minute. Maybe I should try some earphones before the race?
So you don't have smthg telling you to run or walk? My Garmin is set to 3:1 intervals and buzzes to tell me which to do but I want to experiment with different intervals and don't want to mess with my watch unless I find smthg I want to stick with. The interval timer app I had downloaded a couple years ago sucks bc it crashes after a couple intervals. I was looking for a different one. Someone suggested the Gymboss app but a lot of its recent reviews are bad saying it crashes a lot. I can't watch my watch for times bc that's too tedious and I'd rather not buy a Gymboss and have smthg more to carry.

Old 09-12-19, 10:33 AM  
Vantreesta

I'm bailing on Cassey. I'm not enjoying it at all and didn't even finish day 3. I think I'll list out the exercises and try adding them in at a reasonable rep count that doesn't make me want to bang my head on the wall.

Old 09-12-19, 12:07 PM  
buffmama

Quote:
I'm bailing on Cassey. I'm not enjoying it at all and didn't even finish day 3. I think I'll list out the exercises and try adding them in at a reasonable rep count that doesn't make me want to bang my head on the wall.
Not listening to the audio is the route I took. And I also go at my own pace. And change sides at my own discretion to keep good form...
Old 09-12-19, 12:12 PM  
buffmama

Quote:
So you don't have smthg telling you to run or walk? My Garmin is set to 3:1 intervals and buzzes to tell me which to do but I want to experiment with different intervals and don't want to mess with my watch unless I find smthg I want to stick with. The interval timer app I had downloaded a couple years ago sucks bc it crashes after a couple intervals. I was looking for a different one. Someone suggested the Gymboss app but a lot of its recent reviews are bad saying it crashes a lot. I can't watch my watch for times bc that's too tedious and I'd rather not buy a Gymboss and have smthg more to carry.
I also saw the bad reviews on Gym Boss and most of the apps. I'm low tech - I needed something easy to tell me intervals and distance since this is my only running technology. When girlfriend spoke to me, I would do the opposite of what I was doing. Easy. Now, I'm doing 2:1 - less easy, I've been known to mess up. 3:1 won't be happening with her. You might want to consider walking for a set amount of time after a certain distance with your intervals are more than 3:1, that might be easier to set up. How hard is the Garmin to program? Maybe a conservative change will get you where you want to go and be sustainable?