Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 09-08-19, 02:36 PM  
SandyO

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffmama View Post
Sandy - Do you notice any difference after finishing the Glute Challenge? Do you notice any difference using gels with caffeine on your long races?
Quote:
Today's run was hard! It was too fast and I really felt it with 5 miles to go. Should have been around 12 min/mile as my last long run was. Sigh. Spent the second half thinking about Chinese food when I finished. There might be something to that pickle juice Sandy! Hoping to do Vytas' stretch later today and walk tomorrow. I want to hear how doubling up on the glute challenge goes - I'm not that adventurous. I did have someone come into work with a marathon training shirt on though. Now I'm thinking about 2021 using 2020 to bank the races needed to get in. Maybe I should survive this first but that sounds like a potential 26.2 mile party and not one I'd want to rush.
I redid eight of the glute classes that were harder or I felt my form was off the first go round. I did them over 6 days since 4 were 10 minutes and 4 were 5 minutes, so that gave me 10 minutes per day of glute redo. I really can't say they were much easier the second time around. I was worried about doubling up the last two days, but I picked classes that worked different parts of the glute and only one of the two classes those days were 100 done on each side. I will say the classes really woke up my glutes each day, and walking down the stairs after the classes was much easier. Since we stopped having gluten, cheese, and peanut butter about the same time the challenge started, I can't say what exactly contributed, but my butt and thighs are noticeably thinner. My weight is actually a bit below summer weight, so I'm not even eligible to donate blood.

I think I am able to engage my glutes more while running, and I think that's from the month of extra glute work.

I have never used gels in races. I got some free ones at the EC Half, but I saved them for trying out in training runs. I can't say I was a fan. I got a GU Sea Salt Chocolate Roctane from a friend, and I used it yesterday. Now that was NUMMY! I can't say it helped my run mainly because it was only a two hour run in cooler temps, so I probably should have saved it for a day where I try to go longer. In the half marathons I just use the Gatorade at the aid stations maybe every other aid station and water at each station. For the 8 hour races, I carried water, had water at the midpoint aid station, and food each loop at the main station (bread, cheese quesadillas, pizza, glass of coca cola before starting the one mile loops the last hour).

Since I always start slow on my training runs, I have energy left at the end. Usually I want to quit the first half hour, start to feel OK in the middle, and speed up at the end and wonder where that runner was the first 75% of the run. I have been bringing a salted snack for right after my runs (chick peas or potatoes with salt sprinkled on top) and a bottle of water.

You seem to be scheduling this year's runs well, and you're on target for the 6 hour. You're young, so 2020 and beyond can be filled with whatever you wish.

Sandy O
Old 09-09-19, 06:07 AM  
buffmama

Next run will be an easy one or skipped. Vytas's Stretch was great as was the Runner's World yoga which was really a complete practice.

I put cocoa nibs in my breakfast before the run and started later since the sun comes up later. Lots of mistakes but I can learn from them and know what not to do going forward. Starting slowly is key and is tough for me. Testing out a quicker pace shows me that it might not happen. It's more important to me to finish strong.
Old 09-09-19, 07:52 AM  
SandyO

Sometimes things go really well, and you can't pinpoint the difference; other times it's the reverse. I just stick with start painfully slow, and speed up gradually. I get out to run later than most people, and the only times I run early are race days. It doesn't seem to matter. I think it's because I am going at a finishing pace, not a racing pace. When I try to go for a short, fast (for me) run, I have to go earlier before breakfast. For trail runs, I can go 1-3 pm with no issues once it's fall. I would never choose to run in the afternoons in July.

Sandy O
Old 09-09-19, 11:46 AM  
SandyO

The photos from the race were up today. I have to say mine were way better than usual. I sent a couple to you, buff, on facebook. I was in a picture before the race, waiting for Ali, and at the finish.

Sandy O
Old 09-09-19, 11:56 AM  
SandyO

I have 22 Casseys I didn't do a second time. 2 are 10 minutes, 20 are 5 minutes. If I do 10 minutes of Cassey Butt for 12 days, I will finish my second pass at the Cassey classes Sept 20, just in time for the price increase for the Duluth race. Yup. I kind of have to keep going.

I challenge Vannie to finish before me.

Sandy O.
Old 09-09-19, 03:31 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyo View Post
i challenge vannie to finish before me.

Sandy o.
lol
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-19, 07:00 AM  
buffmama

Feeling better mentally and physically today. I read and listened to more youtube marathon info yesterday. Will get Gatorade and pretzels when I go shopping later. Apparently I'm a salty sweater which may explain the Chinese food cravings.

Sandy - Is Trifecta keeping the challenge up or removing them after a certain number of days? Do you use BodyGlide for your long races? I haven't had problems but I also haven't run that distance. TIA.

Skipping Cassey today since XTrain Legs was mostly glutes and I did the challenge on my long run day.
Old 09-10-19, 07:58 AM  
SandyO

Quote:
Sandy - Is Trifecta keeping the challenge up or removing them after a certain number of days? Do you use BodyGlide for your long races? I haven't had problems but I also haven't run that distance. TIA.
I am not sure about the challenge, but I am assuming she will leave them up just like Cassey does. I am not planning to do them as they are posted. I am hoping to get them done by the end of next week.

I have never had any issues with chafing. I've done long runs in the spring, summer, and fall. I've worn mid thigh shorts, capris, and full length pants; tank tops, short sleeved, and long sleeved. My arms have never rubbed my trunk, my lack of boobs probably helps in the chest area, and in spite of good sized thighs, even my inner thighs have escaped chafing.

The one time I chafed was early September running with Ali at one of her half marathons. I wasn't expecting to run far, so I wore a short skort. Big mistake as it was hot and humid, and I ended up doing 10 miles with her. I did wear that same skort for my birthday relay with Ali, and I was totally fine, but that was 6.7 miles and a cooler day.

Try out the outfit you plan to wear race day on one of your long runs.

Sandy O
Old 09-10-19, 08:05 PM  
buffmama

Thanks Sandy for your patience with my questions. I ordered a running buddy to hold my phone - tried it today and it's too heavy for my pants. Ending up in Marshall's and got another belt with an additional small pocket. Also found capri's in hot pink with...2 pockets! And celery to add salt to my food.
Ending up as a group run to get in more hills. Thurs I have a local hill to tackle. It's about 1/2 mile, so I'll run up and down 3 times.
Old 09-10-19, 09:27 PM  
Vantreesta

This morning I attempted wk14 day1 but the humidity was making me feel ill (haven't felt top of the world for a few days now anyway) so I cut it short, 55 min instead of 70. I decided to try 9:1 intervals but only made it to minute 19 before I switched to 3:1. Instead of my usual YFR I did Eoin's Power Yoga for Happiness Daily Dose of Bliss.

Buff, I use an armband for my phone for running. I've always been pretty happy with them but the velcro on my current one isn't great. I keep getting annoyed that it's sliding down the last few runs.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote