Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-19, 12:53 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Home Pilates machines - any of them worth it?

I took my first reformer class at a new Club Pilates studio yesterday. It was only 30 minutes and I was surprised how well the equipment helps work your core! The memberships are of course really expensive, even with grand opening discounts.

I feel like it was having the sliding platform with footrest and shoulder rests that made the difference and am wondering, do any of the home machines mimic that? I'm not prepared to spend $1K + on something like an Allegro, so are any of the cheaper ones worthwhile?

I see Pilates Power Gym, Aeropilates, Pilates Performer, Supreme Pilates Pro...any of them worth checking out?

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-19, 02:55 PM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

I found an AeroPilates on Craigslist last year, like new, for a very good price. You might try looking there. I didn't want to invest in a pricey one either. Not sure how much I would use it. I actually really like using it, and I plan on getting the stand for it to get it up off the floor. I'm sure it is not nearly as nice as the more expensive models, but I am happy with it, for a started model.
The AeroPilates does have the footrest, shoulder rests, straps, etc. So it does mimic the more expensive models. Mine also have the rebounder. I think most of the models do.

Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-19, 03:13 PM  
VainJane

I'm not a fan of the cheap home Reformers, but if you can get a good deal (via Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace) on a used Wunda Chair (by Gratz, Peak, or Balanced Body), it gives you a killer workout, doesn't take up much space, and usually costs 1/4 - 1/3 of the price of a studio Reformer. There are many Wunda Chair workouts on Pilatesology and PilatesAnytime.

With Pilates equipment, I feel that you get what you pay for. Having done classical Pilates and worked out on Gratz equipment for years, the cheap QVC stuff does absolutely nothing for me. I prefer just doing mat work when I don't have access to quality equipment (which is currently the case; I'm between jobs and had to give up my weekly studio sessions).
VainJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-19, 05:19 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Sherry, have you used a studio reformer? I wonder how AeroPilates compares, mostly with level of resistance.

VainJane, I think you get what you pay for in most circumstances. I'm OK with something less than the best in this case. I don't have near as much experience with it as you so I probably won't noticed as much of a difference! I've done mat Pilates forever and was surprised how much more work it was on a reformer. I'm hoping to replicate that experience at home.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Old 02-04-19, 05:20 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Oh and Sherry, does yours say AeroPilates on it? I'm seeing some that are Stamina Pilates but it looks like they make AeroPilates?

Old 02-04-19, 06:12 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

I've been searching and love this one! https://offerup.com/item/detail/554253317/

Of course it's way more than I want to spend!

Old 02-04-19, 06:14 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

VainJane I also found a Gratz:

https://offerup.com/item/detail/616851933/

Old 02-04-19, 06:48 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Costco offers 2 different pilates reformers online, and in the past they've had good sale on the Stott Pilates one. I believe it was on sale for 1999.00. Something to keep an eye on.

https://www.costco.com/CatalogSearch...lates+reformer
Old 02-04-19, 06:50 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

I was looking at the one Costco has right now. I'm really only willing to spend maybe $200 or so. Otherwise it would almost make more sense to go to the studio!

Old 02-04-19, 07:11 PM  
VainJane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratima View Post
VainJane I also found a Gratz:

https://offerup.com/item/detail/616851933/
The Gratz is a beauty! (It should have metal & wood handles for the straps though, the seller must have switched them.) You could probably negotiate the price down to $3000 or even $2500 since it's the second owner (new price is $4500+) I know this is still much more than you want to spend, but you could ask to see it and do a few exercises on it, just to see what I'm talking about. It's a completely different ballgame with the Gratz springs and leather straps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratima View Post
I was looking at the one Costco has right now. I'm really only willing to spend maybe $200 or so. Otherwise it would almost make more sense to go to the studio!
As far as I'm concerned, it always makes more sense to go to a good classical studio than to buy subpar junk that will take up space in my home.
VainJane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pilates reformer, reformer