Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-14-19, 08:13 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I agree that it is hard to find older posts in this thread, but this is an off topic thread. If this were a message board dedicated to beauty, then I can see the need for sub forums/threads. I don't know about taking up space with sub threads or additional threads since this is not a beauty focused forum. Then again, I know zilch about setting up a forum.
I don't know anything about setting up a forum either, but I know that forum owner WWWendy has asked before that off-topic threads be kept to a minimum, as they take up a lot of bandwidth. Maybe that is how she keeps VF free/no ads!

I see this thread as less of an ongoing reference thread and more of a place to ask specific questions and get some answers. Makeup Alley (MUA) had a boards section before it went defunct. You could ask a question there and get answers too, but then your thread would get buried as new ones came up, so it really wasn't all that different (IRRC!).

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-19, 08:22 AM  
Carol K

I didn't realize the Makeup Alley forum wasn't there anymore. That's how I finally found my replacement for my irreplaceable Paula's Choice lipstick shade. I will be forever grateful to whoever that person was.
Old 09-14-19, 09:12 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol K View Post
I didn't realize the Makeup Alley forum wasn't there anymore. That's how I finally found my replacement for my irreplaceable Paula's Choice lipstick shade. I will be forever grateful to whoever that person was.
Carol, I could be wrong--maybe they just got rid of the swap?

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-19, 09:32 AM  
Carol K

I just checked; they do still have boards. I haven't been there in forever, but I was there quite a bit during the time that Paula's Choice was discontinuing all of their makeup.
Old 09-14-19, 11:30 AM  
Leonana

I shop mostly at Goodwill. My budget doesn't extend to quality, but the cheaper clothes don't last, so that's how I make it work. The ones that seem to hold up the best are Ann Taylor, DKNY, Nine West Ralph Lauren, and Jones of New York. JC Penny and Kohl's seem to be fine too, but they are most likely older styles. I also like Gloria Vanderbilt, and sometimes buy that new at Costco. I recently found a skirt I really like, by jasonmaxwell. No idea who that is, but it's cute and seems well made.

As for the thread, I think that it's mostly for new questions. I don't know that it's active enough for sub forums.
Old 09-14-19, 01:56 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol K View Post
I just checked; they do still have boards. I haven't been there in forever, but I was there quite a bit during the time that Paula's Choice was discontinuing all of their makeup.
I remember the trauma of that! So disappointing that PC did that.
Old 09-15-19, 12:08 PM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libby View Post
I'm 60 and having a hard time finding clothing that is well made. No luck at Penney's, Kohl's or my local mall. I don't like to dress like a granny but not trying to look like a teenager either. Just like to look stylish/classic. The clothes I've bought at Penney's, Kohl's and TJMaxx don't last more than one season before they start getting holes and pills on the material. I am willing to pay more for quality, longer lasting stylish clothes. Is there a store online or another store that you can recommend? I don't know if I would have luck without trying on the clothes though. Thanks for any suggestions!
Unfortunately it seems that quality has gone down for many manufacturers. Even from brand to brand I can find something that seems to be of good quality, but then another piece from the same brand can be very junky. It is frustrating! I do a lot of shopping at TJMAXX and Marshalls, but you have to be selective because they carry good quality things mixed in with lower quality clothing. Sierra Trading Post has good brands that you can check out online. They tend to lean more sporty and outdoorsy for clothing though. I can't really recommend any brands, just wanted to say I completely agree that it is hard to find quality clothing!
Old 09-15-19, 09:14 PM  
Sand

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Makeup Alley (MUA) had a boards section before it went defunct. (IRRC!).
It's back up! They "updated" the boards and that made everything worse. Then MUA members created Reddit Boards and MUA decided to scrap their updated boards and go back to the original format.

MUA made a huge mistake by getting rid of swap! There were far more active members when it was allowed!
Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-19, 09:03 AM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand View Post
... MUA made a huge mistake by getting rid of swap! There were far more active members when it was allowed!
I'm convinced the swap culture at MUA was quite toxic. Juvenile behaviors were common, some were written into the rules, and people who were friends with the moderators got special treatment.

Not sure that sort of behavior deserves a wider audience.
Old 09-17-19, 01:11 AM  
Sand

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
I'm convinced the swap culture at MUA was quite toxic. Juvenile behaviors were common, some were written into the rules, and people who were friends with the moderators got special treatment.

Not sure that sort of behavior deserves a wider audience.
Good point! I do remember as a new swapper being taken advantage of.
Sand is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beauty, beauty thread, beauty thread 2019, clothes, clothing, hair, makeup, skin