Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-09-17, 02:51 PM  
marki64

I tried Callanetics Express a couple months back. I got it from my library. I liked it and it was challenging. I just thought a lot of the moves ovelapped into each segment. It is good to do once in awhile and I am thinking about getting it again. Definitely a thigh, butt and core burner. I don't think I would buy it ir do others, but this fit the bill for lower body toning.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-17, 08:28 PM  
firmaniac

The original Callanetics book was so cool (I had the paperback) - her results portrayed in unvarnished b&w straight-on photographs, as well as her remarks about the method, really struck me. I hope you enjoy exploring her work.

Please visit 'The FIRM Ephemera Scrapbook' on facebook for a visual history of The FIRM
firmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-17, 09:07 AM  
TinaT

I appreciate all the input. I think I will probably give it a try. How hard is it on the knees? I'm assuming it's a form of exercise you can do everyday. Looking at the 30 day program, that what I get from it. Yes?
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-17, 11:36 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaT View Post
I appreciate all the input. I think I will probably give it a try. How hard is it on the knees? I'm assuming it's a form of exercise you can do everyday. Looking at the 30 day program, that what I get from it. Yes?
yes, you can do it everyday. initially, there may be some DOMS, in which case you can rest that body part and work another.

i had a friend of a friend who swore by callanetics for quick results, the "pulling in" kind of results. like any fitness regimen, each body responds differently.

here's an excerpt of the infamous buttocks pictures from Callan's 10/10 book (woman's results):
http://www.poleperfectfitness.com/bottomline.html

a blogger's review and testimonials from blog followers (pictures of man's and woman's results - different pictures):
http://phoneyfresh.blogspot.com/2007...ger-in-10.html
- there's even a quote from Callan regarding airbrushing photos, and this was way, way back in the 80s!

here's a VF thread from 2003 regarding comments about barre-type workouts based on what was available at the time:
The Everything Lotte Berk Thread

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-17, 12:37 PM  
TinaT

Holy Moly!! The before and after pics are crazy. And that's just Class 1 to 19. Ok, I'm trying it. Not that I haven't seen some good results in the 28 weeks I've been working out, but now's a good time to try something different.

This will be fun. Of course, I'll keep everyone posted. I'll take special measurements once I actually start Callanetics along with my 4 week measurements.
Old 09-10-17, 03:56 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Quote:
Holy Moly!! The before and after pics are crazy. And that's just Class 1 to 19. Ok, I'm trying it. Not that I haven't seen some good results in the 28 weeks I've been working out, but now's a good time to try something different.

This will be fun. Of course, I'll keep everyone posted. I'll take special measurements once I actually start Callanetics along with my 4 week measurements.
Not only that, they only worked out 2x/week. Callanetics is safe to do every day because it is isometric exercise so you aren't going for muscle tears like if you are lifting for hypertrophy. However, I think EOD or EOOD is better to give your body a chance to recover from any inflammation (DOMS) that may come up. In addition, your muscles are changing even if they don't have to recover from tears from lifting. But I guess just let your body be your guide.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-17, 08:37 AM  
Exercise Diva

I love the newer Callanetics workouts and subscribe to their site. Actually I'm becoming addicted to it to the point were I have to remind myself to fit in my cardio and even other strength workouts. Personally, I could never get into the older Callan workouts, though I appreciate her genius. I would definitely start with a more beginner workout so that you get the form down before progressing to the advanced level. I love the Countdown workouts for this, but if you can subscribe, even for a short while, Sandra Hanna's form tips are the absolute best. Someone here mentioned a EOD schedule, which is what works best for me too. Your muscles will get pretty fatigued even though the exercises are very gentle, and speaking of gentle my knees don't have any issue with any of the exercises in the program except for the seated hip and behind exercise. Because of the angle of the back leg that is working, my knee will sometimes bark at me, but I think that is due to my having a funky left knee and not necessarily the exercise itself. I just take it easy with that particular exercise and don't push if my knee is acting up that day.
Exercise Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-17, 09:07 AM  
TinaT

What about Sandra Hanna's dvd: Body By Design and Cardio Callanetics?
Old 09-11-17, 01:48 PM  
TinaT

So I also am looking at resistance band work, which is on another thread I started. Just got back from town and found a few gems I couldn't resist getting. All for $10.00.

Element Accelerated Pilates w/Resistance Band WO - like new
Winsor Pilates Power Sculpting w/Band W) - new/sealed.
Winsor Pilates Power Sculpting Buns & Thighs w/band - new/sealed.
Winsor Pilates Basic 3 DVD set - great cond.
Winsor Pilates Sculpting Circle Advanced. (I have no circle). - new/sealed.

Would I be combining methods that work together? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-11-17, 02:02 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Quote:
What about Sandra Hanna's dvd: Body By Design and Cardio Callanetics?
Do you mean these DVDs:

Callanetics Evolution (Body by design?)
Callanetics Evolution Cardio Callanetics

These were the first update from Callanetics 10/10. Many people find these to be very boring, but the exercises are fine and will produce results. It has many modifications and some new exercises, but I think the other new DVDs are more updated from these. If you are shopping for new DVDs I would recommend the newer ones (the ones with Lacey) or maybe the streaming workouts.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
callan pinckney, callanetics, callanetics evolution, pure sculpt