Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-17, 08:41 PM  
gwinter

Callanetics: can you lose weight?

Hi there

I am curious to know for those who have done Callanetics, if you were about to lose weight just by doing Callanetics? Can you lose weight doing Callanetics five days a week with a healthy diet and not adding any other exercise?

I recently started doing the new Pure and Extreme plus I subscribe to the Callanetics online workouts with all the older material 10 in 10, Super, Quick, etc.

Any information is greatly appreciated!
gwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-17, 09:22 AM  
Exercise Diva

I would like to know this too.
Exercise Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-17, 09:25 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

I can't speak to Callanetics specifically, but a few years back I lost a lot of weight with just walking, Core Fusion, MR type of workouts, so similar to Callanetics in intensity. The real weight loss came from the dietary changes I made, but any exercise along with it just helps to shape and tone the body and keep you healthy. Just my .02 of course .
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-17, 09:40 AM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

I can't speak to Callanetics specifically either, but I do really well on a barre rotation because barre burns very little calories, and therefore keeps my appetite low. Which in turn makes my calorie intake less which makes me lose weight. But barre still tones the muscles great despite the low calorie burn, so you can get that inch loss + weight loss from a lower calorie diet.

I love doing HIIT style, running, plyo, heavy weights, kettlebells, etc. workouts but they make me ravenous. I ended up mostly giving these up because I just didn't want to battle my appetite anymore.
Old 03-10-17, 09:51 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

not in my case.

however, it pulls in and tightens better than anything i've experienced.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-17, 11:15 AM  
Lannette

1. You can't out run what you can eat!

2. I don't get big spikes in appetite with Callanetics, though this is true for me with Barre, walking, Pilates, and yoga as well.

3. Callan states that any weight you lose will appear as if you've lost twice as much. I can believe this as there is a quick tightening of the body. I can't tell you about weight. I only weigh a few times a year at most.

Honestly? I do think with appropriate eating and Callanetics 5 days a week you could see weight loss.

The thing is you shouldn't have to do it 5 days a week forever. The whole paradigm is different. There are some advanced Callanetics users who workout only once or twice a week and maintain beautiful results. I'm down to three full workouts a week and am considering dropping to two. I know that goes against the whole, "If some is good more is better." Philosophy but it is what it is.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-17, 10:18 PM  
primrosecat

I have read that exercising can help you to lose up to 2 sizes (approx) without losing weight. I am guessing that would depend on the person. As I said, I read this, so please take it for what it's worth.
primrosecat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
callanetics