Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-17, 04:00 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

What NEW activity will you try in 2017?

The beginning of a new year is a great time to try something new, or get back to doing something you used to do.

I am going to join a tennis club. I am going to try Cardio Tennis, which is a cardio workout based on tennis drills. I also will get back to taking tennis lessons and playing.

Another activity I will get back to is taking acting lessons.

What will you try in 2017?
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-17, 04:47 PM  
bubbles76

Barre or some fusion of it, pilates, and yoga.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-17, 06:07 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

To get more focused on hiking. The Appalachian Trail runs through my state and I'd like to do that section, in stages, day trips.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-17, 06:54 PM  
Paula N
VF Supporter

I love the idea of trying something new this year. Two years ago, I took up hockey, which I love, and I would like to try something else this year.

I also have been wanting to get back to tennis, so I will look into clubs and lessons. Thanks for the motivation. I would love to try another team sport, such as volleyball or soccer, but I am not sure I am ready yet.

I admire you taking acting lessons, Fitboop. My dream would be to take singing lessons, but I don't know of anywhere that offers classes. I just want to feel comfortable signing as part of a group, not become good enough to perform in front of an audience or anything like that. I would also like to learn to really knit, and not just make rows of straight knitting. I would like to finish a project I could actually wear.

No dress rehearsal. This is our life.
Paula N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-17, 06:59 PM  
Elsie

I've signed up for Bagua Qi Gong which is brand new to me.

Also, really want to get back to Hiking again which I have not been into for over two years now. Always felt fantastic. I think I just got lonesome doing it alone all the time. Same goes for Snow Shoeing. I would like to start that up once again.
Elsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-17, 08:54 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsie View Post
I've signed up for Bagua Qi Gong which is brand new to me.

Also, really want to get back to Hiking again which I have not been into for over two years now. Always felt fantastic. I think I just got lonesome doing it alone all the time. Same goes for Snow Shoeing. I would like to start that up once again.
Where are you taking Bagua? Are you currently doing other internal martial arts?
I have been doing Kung Fu for about 2 years and dabble in Qi Gong and Tai Chi. I will be starting weapons training in Kung fu this year. I started the staff a few weeks ago and just got a broadsword as a gift so will be learning that this year as well.
I would like to be more consistent in my Tai Chi and Qi Gong practice.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-17, 09:14 PM  
buttons11

Wow, reading your posts above. Tennis, Acting, Barre/fusion, Hiking, Singing, Knitting, QiGong & Snow Shoeing. And weapons training . That's a diverse, exciting list y'all! Hope you all just dive right in!

Fitness:
Just to clarify...I have ZERO fitness at this time...2016 & Asthma was not kind to me...Doc added another med & we made a few other changes couple months ago & I seem to be improving some. Taking a shower has now returned to just a normal activity instead of an exhausting task. Asthma is no joke my friends. Sooo I want to work slowly to get my Mojo back, trying the following new things

1. I have several Barbells & workouts but have not used them as I would like: Weider P.I.N.K. program, KCM Lift Oly workout & her new Meltdown, Gin Miller Barbell Blast, Misc Cathe, Firm, JariLove

2. Cycling
A. my sweet husband surprised me a couple weeks ago by taking my cruising bike from childhood to the bike shoppe for a tune up/clean up. It's all shiney and ready to go for short spins around the neighborhood.
B. Getting one of those Sunny spin bikes next week to use with Cathe, Mindy, Virtual Cycle & Virtual Active workouts

3. Ballet/Barre is completely new to me: BalletBody, BootyBarre, Barlates, Barre3 BalletFitness

5. Bolly/Bhangra Dance is new to me, & the fun music is enticing: Bollywood Dance for Beginners, with Jaya Vaswani, RaqFit, Bollyfit, Back 2 Bollywood, Bhangra Beats, Masala Bhangra

6. I have oodles of Bellydance that I haven't really used since I've been ill, too many to list

7. And I have a few Tai Chi/Qigong + Jane Adams that I want to work on for balance/relaxation

8. Last but not least I hope to improve my strength enough to get back to using my kettlebells. I miss them so

And non-fitness
1. Want to learn cook/prepare more international recipes & to continue to add veggies we haven't eaten frequently, like more greens & eggplant/squash. Getting a new cookbook "600 Curries" recommended by a VFer here while perusing for Bolly dance rec's . Ah, it was jerebo Thanks for the recommendation! http://www.videofitness.com/~vfwnk/f...57#post1621557

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/07...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

2. I've been dabbling in art but have been too ill to really dig in...watercolor and now adding pastel painting too. I have a couple online workshops and good books to work through

The strength/balance work along with the cycling all support the fun stuff like dance & hiking. And the art & fitness do come together as I hope to do more walks/hikes at the nearby Nat'l park and then paint en plein air a lil after. Those are the really good days!

Ok, better stop...that's a long list. That's what happens when you get layed up ill for a year ...

Here's to everyone having a fun 2017 trying new things
"The secret to change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new" Socrates NOT the Greek one, Way of the Peaceful Warrior: A Book that Changes Lives by Dan Millman, 1984

"Do not let the behavior of others destroy your inner peace" Dalai Lama

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." Earl Nightingale

Still training to outrun the zombies buttons
buttons11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-17, 12:07 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula N View Post
I love the idea of trying something new this year. Two years ago, I took up hockey, which I love, and I would like to try something else this year.

I also have been wanting to get back to tennis, so I will look into clubs and lessons. Thanks for the motivation. I would love to try another team sport, such as volleyball or soccer, but I am not sure I am ready yet.

I admire you taking acting lessons, Fitboop. My dream would be to take singing lessons, but I don't know of anywhere that offers classes. I just want to feel comfortable signing as part of a group, not become good enough to perform in front of an audience or anything like that. I would also like to learn to really knit, and not just make rows of straight knitting. I would like to finish a project I could actually wear.
Hi Paula! You definitely should try singing. You can find a teacher by checking the NATS website, which is the National Association of Teachers of Singing. I'm a singer and love it. Everyone can sing and find enjoyment in it, whether you just want to improve in the shower or get out and perform in public. Classes may be found in local music schools or continuing education in towns or colleges. I have seen people go from the shower to the stage, after taking singing lessons and classes. So, it's always possible to give the singing dream a try!

Buttons, I hope you continue to get better and that you will be able to pursue your goals! You have a very nice list and hopefully, will get to do everything on it .
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-17, 08:29 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I'm going to join the Medically Oriented Gym where I'm currently getting physical therapy, when the PT wraps up. I want to keep up the progress and have some training specifically geared to my challenges.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-17, 11:10 AM  
fitmommie

Running outside.......and not on a treadmill. It's harder to run outside, IMHO than to run on a treadmill. I'm still looking to get the runner's high
Maybe it comes from outside running.

"Live each moment like it's the last moment in your life."
- Jim MacLaren
fitmommie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new activity