Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-06-14, 06:47 PM  
kalliope999

Decisions, decisions: Turbo Fire, Kettlebell Kickboxing, or JNL??

Hi everyone!

I've missed reading the forum! I haven't logged on since mid-2012 because I'd been happy with the workouts I was doing (and was trying to save money!) But I logged on the other day to research Focus T25 for my husband, and now I'm on the hunt for something new for myself. There are SO MANY new systems since I last was here, but I think I've narrowed it down to the ones in my title. I value VFers' opinions and have been reading lots of threads, but thought I'd ask outright if anyone had opinions on the comparison between these systems.

For reference (for those who don't mind reading), back in the summer and fall of 2012, I had lots of success with a combination of Turbo Jam and the 12-minute Lauren Brooks' KB workout (which I used as a sub for the resistance band work, which I dislike.) I'm rotationally challenged and didn't even follow the calendar very well after the first few weeks. I did about 4-5 days per week, and tried to do one longer (~45min) TJ per week, one kettlebell workout, and the rest were usually the 20min TJ. What can I say -- I'm lazy, and short workouts are the way I can get myself to be consistent, which is key, right?

This mostly Turbo Jam combo was the most successful ever for me with regards to shrinking my thighs and rear, and I was the slimmest in those areas I've been since college (I'm 39.) I think it might be the amount of cardio, which my body seems to need to drop the fat. Otherwise I just puff up and never seem to lose the fat or water bloat that covers my muscle. My body loves to discourage me by gaining size in my trouble areas when I start working out again , and this routine gave me minimal troubles in that sense. (Having to dig out my larger pants is never a good feeling.) Doing these on and off for the past 1.5 years finally has me restless, and I need some new workouts to keep me from getting bored and dreading working out. Right now, I'm specifically looking to drop 10-15 pounds and/or lose some inches from my butt, thighs, and arms. I haven't been working out for several months and have gained some pounds and lost my muscle.

I like fun, upbeat or quick-moving workouts. I'd love any feedback or opinions on these programs.

Some of my thoughts/questions:

--Do you have more than one? How do they compare? Was one of them best for weight loss or inch loss?
--I like Chalene, and Dasha seems great in the clips I've seen. JNL seems a little over the top, although I'm sure I'd get used to her, or could turn down the volume.
--If I do KBKB, I'm considering the Scorcher series unless someone says the Body series is the way to go.
--I like JNL's philosophy of sculpting an hourglass shape by avoiding lots of oblique work. My short waist needs all the help it can get.
--I'm not interested in stacking my workouts on a regular basis, so I'd be doing one workout per day. I stay committed with shorter workouts.
--Did anyone find that their body responded to the HIIT in Turbo Fire differently than the milder intervals of Turbo Jam?
--Would I be better off doing adding Kettlebell Kickboxing to Turbo Jams for a while to lose some fat (or do Turbo Fire), and THEN consider a JNL rotation to shape up my muscles?
--Kettlebell workouts by themselves (following a Lauren rotation for a few weeks) gave me the puffy problem. Would the cardio intervals in JNL be enough to make that experience different for me, do you think?
--I'm also intrigued by Buti because it looks fun, but this is probably best as something to stick into my rotation here and there, considering my goals. Agree?

We don't usually take beach vacations, but we'll be going to Bermuda this summer, so I'm starting early! Sorry this got so long , and thanks for any help you could give!
Old 01-06-14, 07:20 PM  
pcdoctor01

If I was going to purchase one of the three it would be JNL. It would take me too long to learn the steps in Turbo Jam or Turbo Fire.
pcdoctor01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-14, 10:40 AM  
kalliope999

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcdoctor01 View Post
If I was going to purchase one of the three it would be JNL. It would take me too long to learn the steps in Turbo Jam or Turbo Fire.
Hi pcdoctor,

Since I already get along with Turbo Jam, I don't expect I'll have too much trouble with Turbo Fire. To be honest, the steps aren't complicated like dance workout choreography can be. I hope that's not the only reason you've avoided the Turbos. If so, you should consider trying them!
Old 01-07-14, 11:17 AM  
violingal3

I have tried all three systems and kept two - KBKB Scorcher and JNL. TF was too hectic/crazy for me, I just didn't click with it. I think if you have TJ, then you're set with Chalene, add something else for variety.

I will never part with JNL or KBKB - both offer shorter workouts and are as intense as you want them to be! Check out the KBKB reviews in the review section for breakdowns of each workout. Dasha also has very thorough warm ups and cool downs (JNL doesn't - boo! ). I feel like these fit my need for strength because I use heavier KBs during the KB segments, but I also get a fabulous cardio workout from the cardio intervals. JNL is basic weight training alternating with cardio. I feel like a get a 2 in 1 workout from these also - but again, I go heavy for weights and really hit it during the cardio. I guess it just depends on what you prefer. Sometimes I get burned out on KBs and want to use dumbbells and vice versa.

I think either one will be great for melting fat and shaping muscles all at once. These are my go to workouts when I know I'm beach bound!
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-14, 11:34 AM  
Ella76

I don't have JNL so I can't comment on that one, but I do have Turbo Fire and Kettlebell Kickboxing Scorcher and Body Series.

I generally like both of them, but I had more weight and inch loss (particularly in my hips and thighs) with Kettlebell Kickboxing.

With regard to HIIT (be it KBKB or in Turbo Fire) it definitely gives a greater benefit for me in increasing lung/cardio capacity over a shorter period of time. I'm not sure to what extent this could be influencing any other results I've had with them versus workouts with short bursts of intensity.

Turbo Fire has more punching in it and has aggravated a previous rotator cuff injury I had (which is why I don't do kickboxing workouts on a regular basis anymore), but Scorcher and Body Series have not done so.

If I remember correctly, the non-HIIT Turbo Fire workouts come in between 45-60 minutes so they are a greater investment in time.

I had a puffiness problem using previous kettlebell workouts, mostly Lauren's ones, but I never went through that phase with either Scorcher or Body Series.

Comparing/contrasting Scorcher and Body Series, Body Series has more traditional kettlebell moves and more oblique work. Scorcher has more hybrid type moves in them. HIIT intervals in Scorcher are 3-4 minutes on and 1 minute off. In Body Series the "body part" specific ones generally follow that format, but the "cardio" ones go about 40 seconds on 20 minutes off.

I did Buti dvds using the intermediate rotation for about a month. While I thought they were fun, I also struggled to figure out how to modify some moves and started to have problems with my wrists and shoulders towards the end. Retrospectively, I probably needed more rest days in the program and/or less stacking of workouts. I did one workout a bit randomly after doing KBKB for over a month, and it was much more doable for me then.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more specific questions.
Ella76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-14, 01:25 PM  
pcdoctor01

I wonder why Beachbody hasn't dropped the price on Turbojam to $19.95 like they have HipHopAbs and RockinBody?
pcdoctor01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-14, 01:42 PM  
kalliope999

Thanks for the advice everyone, it's been very helpful! In a fit of dramatic decision making, I ordered both the Kettlebell Kickboxing Scorcher Series and the Turbo Fire Basic set from Mary very late last night (for not much more $ than JNL by itself.) Even though I jumped the gun, your feedback has made me still feel good about my decision.

I just realized that I'm too nervous about water bloat at the moment because I'm already feeling "puffy," and that seems to be a common phase one goes through with programs like JNL. Once I lean out a little I'll be able to tolerate that phase better, because the puff at that point will still be within my size comfort zone instead of pushing me out of it (which it would do now.) Plus, I know that I like kettlebells and Chalene, but I'm not sure about traditional weight work. I'll do a JNL (or P90x3, etc.) rotation afterwards if I'd like to add more muscular shape and definition.

violingal3, I've heard that TF is somewhat hectic but had forgotten about that, so we'll see how I react to it once it arrives! Oh well! It's good to know that you had success using heavier bells with KBKB, so that could be an option for me. Your votes for both KBKB and JNL as beach prep are definitely nice to hear, too, so thank you!

Ella76, thanks for the details comparing the two KBKB sets. When you did them and got your nice results, were you following her calendars, or creating your own rotation? Did you add anything else to them? KB-style intervals definitely improved my aerobic fitness quickly compared to other workouts, so I'm sure I'll like that about the HIIT in the two I've bought. Thanks also for mentioning your lack of puff with Dasha vs. traditional kettlebells!

I'm not sure exactly how I'll combine TF and Scorcher, but I'm sure I'll settle into something once I see what I like best and take a look at the recommended calendars. (Unless someone already has a brilliant rotation of the two they'd like to share!) I like the idea of the very short HIIT TF workouts for those days when I'm short on time and am tempted to not work out at all. But I think I'm really going to enjoy the KBKBs.

As for Buti, for now I think I'll explore her free workouts as a "break" if I crave something different during this rotation.

Thanks again!
Old 01-07-14, 02:41 PM  
Ella76

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalliope999 View Post

Ella76, thanks for the details comparing the two KBKB sets. When you did them and got your nice results, were you following her calendars, or creating your own rotation? Did you add anything else to them? KB-style intervals definitely improved my aerobic fitness quickly compared to other workouts, so I'm sure I'll like that about the HIIT in the two I've bought. Thanks also for mentioning your lack of puff with Dasha vs. traditional kettlebells!
If I remember correctly, there wasn't really a formal rotation with the Scorcher Series. Just a general recommendation to the workouts 3-4 times a week and stack them if you wanted accelerated results.

When I started using the Scorcher Series, I used them 2-3 times / week mostly stacking them. I also did yoga about 1 day/week and other cardio 1 day/week. I noticed differences in my jeans within 3 weeks or so. When I switched to the Body Series I followed the included rotation fairly closely (starting with the advanced non-stacked rotation) and was losing weight as well as inches during the next 8 weeks or so. My weight loss has stalled over the holidays, but I haven't been eating as cleanly or working out as much. I'm going back to following one of Dasha's rotations for the rest of the month and if that doesn't work I'll switch up my workouts some more.
Ella76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-14, 02:02 PM  
kalliope999

I finally received my Scorcher Series and did my first workout this morning (Power). It was tough but fun, and I really liked Dasha. She talks a lot, yes, but she usually says something helpful and she's just likable in general. Makes me want the Body Series, too!

Ella, thanks for the details on how you used your videos, and your timeline. I might do something similar with adding a cardio and yoga day to my week.

Violingal, I also went back and took a look at the breakdowns in the reviews to compare the four workouts. Thank you!

Tags
jnl, jnl fusion, kettlebell kickboxing, turbo fire, turbo jam