Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-07-13, 06:09 AM  
CarlaShanti

Been away and got old, fat, and a new grumpy downstairs neighbor

I've been away a while, used to hang out here all the time. For various reasons (not least the new neighbor who bangs on my door frequently when I try to work out), my workouts have tapered off and I have put on weight. I am not happy about this -- haven't bought a new workout or come here in AGES. Now I'm begging--please advise me on low impact (practically non-impact) workouts that are intermediate to advanced. Otherwise, I am going to be too fat to get through the door soon and he'll be complaining when I walk across the room!

Thanks in advance

Carla
CarlaShanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-13, 06:34 AM  
Just_Jo

Try kettlebells. No noise, great for neighbors, awesome workouts! Cardio and strength in one.
Just_Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-13, 06:37 AM  
kat_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Jo View Post
Try kettlebells. No noise, great for neighbors, awesome workouts! Cardio and strength in one.
Just don't drop them... (Totally true otherwise)
kat_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-13, 06:38 AM  
CarlaShanti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Jo View Post
I've got kettlebells. That's a good suggestion. I have to be careful though because he says when I put them down it is too noisy. I'm not kidding. He's an incredible butthead. I can try again and see what I can figure out to do. It's not like I drop them or anything but when I touch them to the floor apparently he can hear it. Making me crazy.

How about Cathe's Low Impact series? Is that any good??
Old 05-07-13, 06:55 AM  
hotncmom

I really like Slide and Glide from the LIS. Although your neighbor might complain about the swishing sound of gliders on the floor

Try setting the kettlebells down on a folded yoga mat?

I'm sorry you have a grumpy neighbor. I always lived on the bottom floor so there were some bumps and noises from above, but nothing I ever complained about. Wouldn't it be funny if one day your neighbor was on the top floor and the downstairs neighbor complained that he made too much noise walking around? Or complained that every time they sat down on the sofa there was a loud thud? Some things are just inevitable.
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-13, 06:58 AM  
wellnesswife

Is there any way you can agree on a time slot? Is there anything he does loud? Tv or music so you can have something to bargain with? If not...I would politely knock on his door (bring cookies) and apologize about how loud you can be when you work out & that you really don't mean to bother him. But you were thinking if you limit it to say 5-7 pm he could at least expect it etc???
wellnesswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-13, 06:59 AM  
caligurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlaShanti View Post
I have to be careful though because he says when I put them down it is too noisy. I'm not kidding. He's an incredible butthead.
OMG.... this dude's not a butthead... he's and @$$hole!

if you aren't working out in the middle of the night or really early in the morning then you have a right to live your life in the home you pay for! he's just going to have to deal with a little noise....

haven't people talked about using rebounders in apartment living? perhaps that's an option?

i remember reading some other threads in the paste about some neighbors from hell.... maybe they might offer some suggestions for you..

good luck with that @$$hat!!!!!
it is NOT against the rules to say DIET on this forum!
-----
"VFers have a right to post negative opinions about an instructor,
and there is not a limit on the number of times they do so".
- WWWendy

-----
"...no matter how unpopular you perceive your opinion to be, we guarantee you
are not the only one here who holds that opinion, and you should feel free to express it."
- WWWendy via forum guidelines
caligurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-13, 07:00 AM  
Jacqi A
VF Supporter

Jerk!
Jacqi A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-13, 07:01 AM  
CarlaShanti

Well, we've done negotiations and all that. I'm doing my best. What I'm really looking for here are suggestions of low impact workouts, because I've been out of the loop for some months and don't know what's come out lately. Thanks!
Old 05-07-13, 07:20 AM  
LoveVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlaShanti View Post

How about Cathe's Low Impact series? Is that any good??
Low Impact Series is great. It's intermediate/advanced and I don't see how he could possibly complain since you won't be jumping around. There might be a remote chance that the gliders could cause a problem, but I don't see how. If he can hear you putting your kettlebells down there must be no insulation between your floors and the sliding motion might cause some noise, but I would think it would have to be very little noise.
LoveVA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apartment, apartments, downstairs neighbors, low impact