Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Recipe Box
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-12, 05:06 PM  
yahoo205

Vegetable Dishes

Trying to eat more vegetables. Already eat alot of fresh veggies (green smoothie or just plain), but would love to eat more veggie dishes with lots of flavor. Both hot and cold dishes would be good.
yahoo205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-12, 08:59 AM  
LaCatrina

Have you tried broiling them? I love to mix different types of peppers, zucchini and eggplant in a cookie sheet, drizzle them with a bit of olive oil and sea salt and stick them in the broiler until tender. It's easy enough and the flavors are to die for
Old 03-08-12, 12:06 PM  
Peggy T
VF Supporter

Carrots and parsnips are awesome tossed in oil and roasted. They get really sweet. I cut them french fry size and roast at 400.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Peggy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-12, 03:40 PM  
LaCatrina

Even green beans!! Broiled green beans are the bomb
Old 03-08-12, 08:12 PM  
yahoo205

LaCatrina, do you prep the eggplant at all?

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 03-08-12, 08:28 PM  
buffmama

Coleslaw is my latest obsession. A million different ways to make it. Chinese flavors with rice vinegar, carrot and ginger. Champagne vinegar is in another recipe. Mayo and dill. It's all good.
buffmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-12, 09:20 PM  
YetAnotherDeb

I have to agree with the roasted veggies suggestions - 400 degrees for 40 minutes with a little olive oil (and whatever seasoning tickles your fancy if you want, but not necessary) and you're good to go. I often make a big batch and use them over the course of the week in various ways - usually in wraps or over rice or pasta, maybe along with a traditional meat. Sometimes all by their yummy selves.

I typically use some combination of sweet potatoes (yummy and oh-so-healthy), grape or other bite-sized tomatoes or larger tomatoes cut into chunks, sweet peppers, green peppers, garlic, onions, zucchini or squash, carrots, poblano peppers, broccoli, etc. Basically, whatever is available for a reasonable price and sounds good for that week.

Peggy, I've never in my life had parsnips, I'll have to try that although I don't even know how to prep those things. They're a mystery to me.
_____
YADeb
YetAnotherDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-12, 09:42 PM  
yahoo205

ok, i burned them. i just have low and high broil. is it better to broil at high for less time or lower temp for more time?
Old 03-18-12, 10:33 AM  
LaCatrina

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahoo205 View Post
LaCatrina, do you prep the eggplant at all?

Thanks for the suggestions.
Sorry to hear that your burned your veggies. I've had my fair share of kitchen oops

I just rub the mix of veggies (whatever kind) with some extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle them with a bit of sea salt or a mix of herbs - fresh rosemary, thyme...whatever you have handy.

Every oven is different, so you have to play with times and temperatures. I use my broiler in the low setting and keep an eye on the tray. The smell for me is the indicator - whenever I start feeling that sweet smell of lightly charred veggies they're good to go.

If you want a more "structured" recipe, I love this one: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/ratatouille/

Old 03-28-12, 03:59 PM  
videofit

My new favorite veggie cookbook is this one. I've made so many recipes from this cookbook and only a few were just "eh," the rest delicious. Not all rabbit food type recipes either. Many are quite elegant. It's out of print so snap it up!

Tags
vegetable