Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-08-12, 10:31 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

long hair question

How many VFers have long hair and how do you deal with it?? Mine is pretty long right now, about mid-back length, and there are definitely things I like about that...

But it's a PAIN when it comes to working out! If I ponytail it, the ponytail is still long enough to get caught under a barbell across my shoulders. Then if I'm on my back doing abs or stretches or bench pressing, my head is sitting in a wobbly fashion on top of my ponytail.

So I usually either do a super-high pony tail (like almost right on top of my head... it's a lovely look believe me) or split it down the back into two ponytails on the sides. Or occasionally a single side ponytail.

Does anyone have any quick updos for workouts? I know you can find a lot of quick updos on youtube but they're generally intended to be pretty; and I need STURDY. I want to put my hair away and have it STAY there.

(I am the only daughter of a non-primpy mom and I am so hair-impaired it's not funny. No single- syllable explanation is too simple, believe me!)
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-12, 10:38 PM  
Fit Mommy

Lol- your post cracked me up! I'm so much like this that I could have written it myself! I have really long straight hair (mid back) and I usually have it wound tightly in a crazy heap piled high on my head and then wear a headband(the stretchy kind) as well to keep flyways at bay.

I have to wear it like this because I can't stand the feeling of hair in my face when I am working out.
Fit Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-12, 10:44 PM  
DejaDeb

My hair has gotten fairly long, and I put it in a ponytail when I'm jumping around because I don't like getting hair in my mouth. Plus, it's hot. I don't "do" barbells, so I don't have that issue. But when I am on my back, I usually "loosen" the ponytail by pulling the elastic slightly away from my head. I can then easily move that part of my 'do out of the way. HTH!
Old 02-08-12, 10:45 PM  
iheartsts

I have the same problem, and I also can't stand hair in my face when I work out, and I also can't stand the bump-thing on the back of my head when I lie down. My only solution is truly a pain... I keep it back in a low ponytail in a real stretchy, soft scrunchie, then when I have to lie down, I take off the scrunchie and let the hair hang. Then if I have to stand up again, I hurry up and put the hair back again. That's the only thing I've figured out that works for me, but it drives me crazy.

So, it's not a solution, but I feel your pain!
Old 02-08-12, 10:57 PM  
patchworkpenguin

I used to put my thigh length hair up in a twisted bun, using big hairpins made to hold rollers in your hair. The little dinky ones just didn't work, while the longer ones would skewer my hair together and to my scalp. Not pretty but I didn't have much trouble with it coming down, either. I didn't have much problem with buns but ponytails tend to give me headaches.

Start with hair like you're going to put it in a ponytail then keep twisting the hairs togther {like yarn} as you are twisting it around the base of the ponytail to create a bun {like a cinnamon roll}. You can either add hairpins as you go or wait until the whole thing is wrapped up. Be sure to tuck the ends firmly under the bun. Hope this helps.

"An exercise in futility still counts as exercise!"

"There's a pattern to the randomness!" ~ Artie ~ Warehouse 13

"Weakness is hard, but weakness doesn't have to mean defeat!" ~ Lysa TerKeurst

"That's the only break you get, so I hope you enjoyed it" ~~Cathe, STS, Meso 2

patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-12, 11:11 PM  
elliebea

I pull my long hair into a fairly high ponytail and then "trap it" in a wide headband like this one:

http://reviews.underarmour.com/2471/...viewTextLength

I have tried many wide bands, but like the UA Protego best and I can move the ponytail around a bit while it is trapped if I need to - I can move it to the side if needed for example and as a bonus it keeps sweat out of my eyes.
elliebea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-12, 12:30 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Susan, I have long hair, and I have the same problems when I work out. If I pin it up, the weight of the hair pulls and it hurts, so I usually do a ponytail. I also use a stretchy headband to keep the front of my hair off my face. I also do the scrunchie and move it around when I lie on the floor to exercise.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-12, 12:45 AM  
Lorelai

My hair long and straight, hanging down to my lower back. Lately, it's too long to do what I used to do, which was a high bun, but a messy one. A few inches ago, I could still acheive that artful, accidentally on purpose look, without it being too heavy. Sigh. Anyway, these days I braid it, usually off to one side, so it falls over my shoulder. Sometimes I just do a long braid down my back, or a bun at the nape of my neck. Probably if I knew my workout was going to include floor work, particularly pilates mat work, I'd spend some extra time creating a bun on top of my head, because otherwise I'd just get annoyed. And it's simply too long to let it down... probably pig tail braids would be best for floor work purposes, allowing one's head to lie flat, if one can't or would rather not do a high bun. I never do plain ponytails, because I like mine in the middle of my head, and the end of the ponytail always tickles the skin exposed by my tank top! Really distracting. Braids do a better job at containing the chaos.

"Practice makes progress." Jessica Smith

"There's always an option before we quit." Jessica Smith

"You don't have to be a ballerina to feel like one." Ellen Barrett
Lorelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-12, 01:34 AM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

I recently chopped my hair off, but my hair used to be shoulder-blade length, not pulled straight (I have curly hair.) I just tied my hair in a high pony tail at the top of my head, with the ponytail folded over. Not attractive, but it kept it out of the way for everything I needed to do standing, lying down and bent forward.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-12, 02:22 AM  
MomOf2Gremlins

Great thread!
I'm currently letting my hair grow long (finally!) again and while it's only APL (arm pit length) so far, I never liked getting hair in my face while working out, so I've always used a claw clip that keeps my hair (twisted up) away. The only time it doesn't work well is when I do mat work; that's when I switch to a pony tail.

"Change what you can. Accept what you can't. Live peacefully with all that's left."

MomOf2Gremlins is offline   Reply With Quote