Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-10, 03:00 PM  
sherry7899

how do you know when to move on from your doctor?

I wasn't sure how to title this thread. I've been going to the same chiropractor for over ten years, and he's always helped me. However, I pulled a muscle in my back (at least I think that's what it is) over five weeks ago, and it's not getting much better. I've been going for adjustments, getting electric stim treatments, and doing stretches and using heat at home.

How do I tactfully bring up to him that I might need to see someone else? I'm not even sure where to go? Maybe an orthopedist or physical therapist?

Thanks for any suggestions-
Sherry
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-10, 03:03 PM  
~^~RedFlame~^~
VF Supporter

Well, if he has been doing everything that can be done at a chiro's office, you are not really needing to move to 'another' chiro, so there shouldn't be any hard feelings, you seem to need something above and beyond, and evidently a good diagnosis, as well. Maybe acupuncture, etc., who knows? A good doctor should not ever 'cop an attitude' over a patient seeing someone else. IMO at least.

Proud GRADUATE of P90X!! TWICE Class 2007&2008!!
Burn Burn BUUUUURRRRRNNNN!

One's main goal in life is to give birth to oneself.
If you are not busy being born, you are busy dying!
~^~RedFlame~^~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-10, 03:05 PM  
PeakFitness

If you don't want to tell him, just go see someone else (ortho or PT) without telling him first. I don't see it as a big deal at all.
Old 04-07-10, 03:28 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

The problem may be more than musculoskeletal. I'd see another doctor to be sure.
Jane P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-10, 03:45 PM  
ssgilby

Sherry - You'd think I would know this, but I can't remember. Have you seen your regular GP about this? I would start with him or her and see what he/she recommends. You might benefit more from PT or a visit to the ortho, as has been sugggested. You've been treating a long time, and from what I understand, you're not even seeing any improvement. Yeah, it's time to move on!
Old 04-07-10, 04:51 PM  
DachsieDogMom

I see no reason to bring up the subject with your chiro if you dont want to. No need to dump him either since I dont think another chiro will be able to help. Sounds like you may have a problem that cant be helped by chiro treatments. I'd probably start with your GP or go straight to an ortho.
Hope you feel better soon.
DachsieDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-10, 06:36 PM  
Janga

Smile

i agree with this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DachsieDogMom View Post
I see no reason to bring up the subject with your chiro if you dont want to. No need to dump him either since I dont think another chiro will be able to help. Sounds like you may have a problem that cant be helped by chiro treatments. I'd probably start with your GP or go straight to an ortho.
Hope you feel better soon.
Janga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-10, 09:27 PM  
Sheila S.
VF Supporter

I agree with DachsieDogMom, that you don't need to bring this up, but I also think there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to let the chiro know you are seeing no improvement and feel you should look into other diagnostic or treatment options.

If you've had a professional relationship with him for 10 years, he should understand.

Sheila
Sheila S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-10, 05:33 AM  
CHAPLYN61

I am curious, if you are not getting any better with the same treatment modalities, why is your chiropractor not referring you out for tests or for a consult??? I agree with the other poster to check with your family doctor for recommendations on what to do next. testing may be in order to see why you are not receiving the same benefits that you were before. the treatment itself may be fine for your prior conditions, but maybe not for this???
CHAPLYN61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-10, 11:29 PM  
videofit

If you are told you need surgery, look for someone in your area who does prolotherapy first. Many people have avoided surgery that way.