Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-07-10, 01:43 PM  
steakhousegirl

Why I'm Addicted to Tubing!

Inspired by an earlier thread I pulled out Insanity Upper Body today and did my usual subbing weights for tubing. So I thought I would list the reasons why I'm so into tubing these days (been using them regularly for about 5 months).

1. Form. My posture is better. I tend to get sloppy when I lift heavy.

2. Everything old is new again. I am adapting all of my older strength vids and thus eliminating the dread factor.

3.Changing resistance levels is so easy..change the band or loop it front of you..move your feet.

4. Creativity is challenging. I love pulling out an oldie and subbing my band moves. Every so often (like today) I have to sub the whole move because it is just not possible to just change equipment. Hey, no big deal.

5. My hands feel better. I tend to really grip my weights too hard.

6. Less equipment schlepping from room to room.

7. Some moves (esp. shoulder work) make me work harder.

8. I'm using my abs more.

9. Every workout becomes a travel workout.

Con-

I don't now if I can ever go back to weights!

I wish more instructors would do what Tony Horton and Barry (of BBC) have done. I learned all my sub variations from Tony because P90X and X+ always have a tubing modifier.

Insanity Grad
Turbo Fire Grad
S90 Grad
P90X2 Grad
steakhousegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-10, 02:07 PM  
Edie

Oooh! I'm intrigued. What type of results have you had? More definition in arms and/or legs? Do you use tubing for lower body workouts as well? TIA! I forgot I wanted a set of bodylastics until I saw this thread!
Edie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-10, 02:09 PM  
Sassy
VF Supporter

Very timely post....I was JUST looking at some tubing and wondering if that might be a better way for me to go when I do CLX - at least for the heavier weights I don't have and can't afford.

What brand do you have that you love so much?

"The only difference between the saint and the sinner is that every saint has a past and every sinner has a future." ~~~Oscar Wilde
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-10, 02:10 PM  
steakhousegirl

I would say my "results" are the same..building muscle, maybe a bit more definition but the real story is my abs. They're getting worked in different ways all the time.

Yes, I use tubing for LB as well. Barry's Bootcamp has excellent workouts for that. Once I can learn a sub I can then apply it to other workouts.

I've also been doing a lot of HiiT and Core Fusion workouts for my LB just because......

Insanity Grad
Turbo Fire Grad
S90 Grad
P90X2 Grad
Old 04-07-10, 02:12 PM  
steakhousegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy View Post
Very timely post....I was JUST looking at some tubing and wondering if that might be a better way for me to go when I do CLX - at least for the heavier weights I don't have and can't afford.

What brand do you have that you love so much?

I hate to say it but I'm in love with my $7 Walmart tubing. The handles are soft and padded and oh so comfy. If I don't feel like switching on a given day I will just take up slack on it. One cool thing with Barry's Bands is that you can put two bands in the handles at the same time.

I didn't even think of your idea that it is a cheaper variation as well. So true.

Insanity Grad
Turbo Fire Grad
S90 Grad
P90X2 Grad
Old 04-07-10, 02:21 PM  
Sassy
VF Supporter

Question: When a tube says it has 24lbs of resistance what is the dumbbell equivalent?

If a stand on it and do some type of double arm exercise am I then lifting roughly 12lbs per arm? or 24? I'd assume 12, but I'm not really sure what the 24 denotes.

"The only difference between the saint and the sinner is that every saint has a past and every sinner has a future." ~~~Oscar Wilde
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-10, 02:53 PM  
Kesal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy View Post
Question: When a tube says it has 24lbs of resistance what is the dumbbell equivalent?

If a stand on it and do some type of double arm exercise am I then lifting roughly 12lbs per arm? or 24? I'd assume 12, but I'm not really sure what the 24 denotes.
There doesn't seem to be any consistency between different brands.

If you were using the B-Lines from Beachbody, and using the nominally 24lb tube, it would be like 12lbs in each hand.

If you were using Bodylastics, their nominally 24lb tube would mean 24lbs in each hand.
Kesal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-10, 03:00 PM  
~^~RedFlame~^~
VF Supporter

Chiming in here as a trainer, and I love them too! I use them all the time with clients, and when I want to switch up for myself as well. What is great is that beyond the great workout they give, and the different (and superior IMO) pull on the muscles, you can increase and decrease by any increment that works. You use "perception" of course, as you do not know what equivalent 'weight' you are using with these, but if you want to go 'just a bit' harder, or easier, it is so simple to do so, where with weights you need to either go up too much, or purchase the little magnet weights to get where you need to get. Why pay a ton for weights? I disagree about comfortable on the hands though, I do find them a bit hard on my hands at times, and overhead moves like triceps extensions will rub on my arm too much, but it is just a matter of getting to the right form.

You go girl, nothing wrong with addictions like this!

Proud GRADUATE of P90X!! TWICE Class 2007&2008!!
Burn Burn BUUUUURRRRRNNNN!

One's main goal in life is to give birth to oneself.
If you are not busy being born, you are busy dying!
~^~RedFlame~^~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-10, 03:11 PM  
leslie w
VF Supporter

I have the Bodylastics and I love them. I bought the Maxium Tension package http://bodylastics.com/order.html . It came with 5 bands, ankle straps and a door hook, as well as a detailed instructional book. A lot of the exercises outlined in the book are similiar to what you can do on a Bowflex machine. And for a fraction of the cost.

You're right about feeling it in your abs and back. I don't know what it is about the bands but I find my core is worked so much harder with the bands than it is when I use dumbbells. They've been my best fitness purchase to date.
leslie w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-10, 03:18 PM  
~^~RedFlame~^~
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leslie w View Post
You're right about feeling it in your abs and back. I don't know what it is about the bands but I find my core is worked so much harder with the bands than it is when I use dumbbells. They've been my best fitness purchase to date.
With bands, the tension INCREASES as you pull, where with free-weights as you pass the "sticking point" it becomes easier and you can 'let up' on your core, it is like a little 'internal rest' period. But with tubing you do not have that release after the sticking point, it gets HARDER so your core (which is both front and back) must actually squeeze harder to the very end of the move, as opposed to having that 'rest'.

Proud GRADUATE of P90X!! TWICE Class 2007&2008!!
Burn Burn BUUUUURRRRRNNNN!

One's main goal in life is to give birth to oneself.
If you are not busy being born, you are busy dying!
~^~RedFlame~^~ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tubing