Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-02-19, 09:57 PM  
tamib

What to look for in Pilates Reformer

I see what looks like a good deal on a pilates reformer on my local Craigslist is there anything in particular I should look at when checking it out? I've never even used one, the model # isn't visible. It's 4 cords (how do you know if they're worn out and are they replaceable?)
Thanks.

Tammy
tamib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-19, 10:36 PM  
VainJane

I definitely don't recommend buying a Reformer if you've never used one. If it looks like a "good deal", it's most likely junk - Reformers from reputable manufacturers like Gratz, Peak, Stott/Merrithew, or Balanced Body are very expensive and have a high resale value ($2000 and up) for used ones. If you're curious about working out on a Reformer, use the money you're thinking about spending on Craigslist to go a Pilates studio in your area and take a private session or Reformer group class (though most Pilates studios will require that to take 3-5 private sessions before letting you do a group class). Even a mat class at a Pilates studio would be more beneficial than buying a piece of equipment that you don't know what to do with.
VainJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-19, 10:50 PM  
tamib

Smile

It's an aeropilates, looks like maybe the one that sells for $900 but that's just me trying to match it to the pictures on their website. I'm 45 miles from the nearest pilates studio, so classes aren't an option. My hips are a little twisted and the reformer has always intrigued me, mat pilates usually causes SI joint pain if I do it a lot I know it's all about form and I probably shouldn't attempt it but it's really tempting me. My inexperience and the amount of space it will take up are big drawbacks.

Tammy
Old 02-02-19, 11:28 PM  
VainJane

Do you mean this one? It looks like junk, I wouldn't trust that brand (I've been to many Pilates studios and none of them use it). Even if it was a better quality, it won't help with your hip issues unless you're working with an instructor who knows how to address various injuries/imbalances.

If I were you, I'd give mat Pilates another shot, but with a thicker mat. I use one that's 1-inch thick that I got from Amazon for $40 (looks like it's $43 now). Pilates requires more cushioning than a standard yoga mat provides. And check out Pilatesology (they have a free trial) for detailed cueing and form pointers.
VainJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-19, 08:35 AM  
Aunt Famous

Hey, Tammy.

I got a Balanced Body studio reformer from Craigslist, and I really enjoy it. For the first few years, I subscribed to Pilates Anytime for the reformer workouts. Amy Havens, one of the instructors (and one of my favorites) would occasionally do the workouts on an Aeropilates reformer, which she liked and said felt different from her regular studio reformer -- the trampoline jump board had more bounce.

If you go forward with the purchase, I'd visually inspect the springs, make sure the carriage movement is smooth, and see if the machine feels sturdy enough. You may want to check online to see if Aeropilates sells replacement parts.

I took only one reformer lesson before buying mine. I am self-taught through Pilates Anytime and Pilates Style. Right now, I love John Garey's YouTube channel. It was a good investment for my scoliosis-related back problems. If and when the Aeropilates stops meeting your needs, you can always upgrade.

Enjoy!

AF

Check out my blog at www.typeALC.com
Aunt Famous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-19, 08:44 AM  
Lannette

I have SIJ issues, have owned a QVC Pilates Performer, currently own a Gratz Cadillac/Reformer conversion unit and subscribe to Pilates.ology.

I agree with much that’s already been written.

1. SIJ: THICK MAT & Classical Pilates, which you’ll find on Pilates.ology. So much of the streaming Pilates I’ve seen is some hybrid barely resembling the real deal. The the thick mat cushions my coccyx which allows me to do some mat Pilates without issues. Not every day but a few days a week. It was truly a game changer!

2. Classical Pilates Reformer work does leave me feeling more balanced. Our unit cost $10,000.00 and gets used daily in some capacity. (It’s a table for my postural restoration clients too.) We love it!

That said, I do think you can get a decent Reformer style session on a QVC/Stamina performer and for way less. I jury rigged mine to allow me to do more extensive box work before we got the Gratz. I’m not sure that I’d buy one used unless you can try it on site. Marjolein Brugman has a streaming SITE where she uses a QVC performer. She was classically trained.

This is a long shot but if you’re in the NH area you could try the Gratz compared to the performer.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-19, 08:50 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VainJane View Post
Do you mean this one? It looks like junk, I wouldn't trust that brand
I have Aeropilates reformer 4651 model ( even cheaper that this one) and it's certainly not a junk. It's a very well made, entry-level reformer. None of the pilates studios use it because it's simply not made for commercial use, but strictly for home.

I purchased mine having never before tried pilates reformer classes and it works just fine for me. It's smooth and easy to use. I have been using it with some of the free reformer classes on youtube as well as with Pilates By Lisa subscription. My reformer takes a fair amount of space, but not as much as a professional reformer does. Do I wish I had a $3000+ professional-grade reformer? Yes, but mine certainly is sufficient to suit my needs at a fraction of the cost. If you've never tried reformer you might want to take couple of classes in a studio on a professional reformer to see if that's something you want to do.

Yes, the cords are replaceable. I've been using my reformer since last May and the cords are still in great shape.
Old 02-03-19, 09:47 AM  
tamib

Thanks everyone for your replies, I will give Pilatesology and John Garey a shot and I'm trying to get in touch with the seller on craigslist but no answer so far so it may already be gone. He was asking $100.
Thank you for the offer Lannette but I'm in WV, would definitely try it if I was closer.

Tammy
Old 02-03-19, 11:07 AM  
sunday

My first reformer 20 years ago was a QVC one with bungees instead of springs. I had never done any type of Pilates before and I loved it it so much one of the bungees snapped off after several years.

As for experience, the only experience I had ever had with yoga prior to my yoga teacher training was dvds, and mostly Grace Lazenby at that. Yet in training I was told I had excellent form.

Everyone starts somewhere, and many of us start from home. I say go for it and get the reformer. You may find you absolutely loathe it, cover it with blankets and let your pets sleep on it. Or you may find you love it and it will serve as a springboard for a better reformer one day.

I currently have a Stot reformer and subscribe to Pilates Anytime. Love it. Pilatesology is ok to me, but most of those teachers also have workouts and workshops on PA as well. I prefer non-classical Pilates for many reasons, but PA also lets you search for classical or non-classical as a preference. Right now there are approximately 800 reformer classes on PA with more added all the time.

Good luck, and keep us informed!
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-19, 02:04 PM  
tamib

This is it. Supposed to be going to look at it as soon as she picks a time.

Tags
pilates reformer, pilates reformer shopping