Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-19, 08:01 PM  
jbrigid
VF Supporter

Need help finding...

any basic, beginner abs workouts. I am a restarter who has had a lot of success with Cathe ICE, LITE, and KCM as far as UB and LB. I just can't seem to find a beginner ab workout to build up my strength.

Any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks,
Joanne
Old 02-01-19, 09:08 PM  
bfit

There's a very old Leslie Sansone workout called "You Can Do Abs". It might have been re-released under a different title now and/or bundled up in one of her compilations. I'm not sure. Also, there's an older DVD with Chris Freytag called "Prevention Abs Advantage". It has several different sections that are about 8 minutes each, and it's very basic. You could also look at some beginner Pilates workouts because Pilates works the core.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-19, 09:30 PM  
jbrigid
VF Supporter

Thanks for the info.

I will check out both of them and see if my library has them.

Joanne
Old 02-01-19, 09:57 PM  
BunnyHop

I find that actual, propel your body through space walking really does work my core in a way that the walking workouts don't. Helps me feel better about not doing them.
Old 02-02-19, 12:50 AM  
VainJane

I can recommend two 15-minute beginner Pilates routines, free on YouTube. The first is by Brooke Tyler, and the second by Alisa Wyatt; both are classically trained Pilates teachers.

There are some back and leg exercises in both workouts, but they're mostly core-focused and are great at building up your strength.
VainJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-19, 03:58 AM  
Tugger31

https://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/30-...-San-p/224.htm

The moves are slow and controlled and includes work for posture as well. It's listed as an intermediate I believe more because it progresses over the 30 days. It starts as beginner. It is also available on amazon for a bit cheaper.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-19, 11:44 AM  
red1013

The abs on Cathe's High Step Circuit and Basic Step (both on the stability ball) might work.

Also, Kathy Smith's Tummy Trimmers (5 different ab workouts), she has people modifying for easier options.
Old 02-02-19, 12:02 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Looks like some Caroline Sandry videos are available to stream for free for amazon prime members.

This is timely for me. I've been going to physical therapy for sciatica. Turns out I have a really weak core -- after all these decades of working out and thinking I had a decent core! So my PT has been slowly working on it. I started out with simply bracing my core/abs to count of ten for ten times every hour I was awake. I did that for a few days or so and then from there I progressed to being on my back, core braced, legs bent at knees. Alternate heel slides for ten counts each, three sets. And, then bring legs up to table top and do marches or drop foot down (hopefully this makes sense) ten times alternating, three sets. After a few days of those, he had me progress to a few variations of boat/teaser -- hard for me to describe here, unfortunately, and then the side sit ups on ball shown here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUc9cyJwDcY He doesn't want me going quite as high as she goes in the video, I don't think, because he doesn't want the other muscles taking over. And he also has me lay on my back on the ball, feet braced against wall, and do little crunches up while I'm laying over the ball. Sorry, hard to describe all this. Good luck!
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-19, 12:29 PM  
Gams

Jessica Smith has quite a few standing abs workouts.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-19, 02:34 PM  
jbrigid
VF Supporter

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I'll be looking these up online and hope to get going soon!

JB