Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-12, 11:57 AM  
pharma_gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldham View Post
pharma_gal, it does not measure your heart rate during exercise.

There are various ways to set the fitbit to measure the calories burned while you are exercising, depending on which apps you use.
Thanks a lot!
R.
pharma_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-12, 12:58 PM  
slysam

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldham View Post
• Figuring out how accurate it is when counting steps – I read a ton of reviews before and after I bought it- it recommends you just stick with the automatically calculated stride length that it programs in for you when you tell your age/height/weight. At first, it didn’t seem accurate. But I’ve tested it multiple times my walking around, counting, and then checking the stats – it does seem to be accurate. But it’s one of those things – it’s a pedometer, there will probably always be a few steps missed or movement counted twice. I think it all averages out.
Great review Cooldham! Slightly off topic but about this.... It doesn't matter either way for the accuracy of the step count, but I am not sure why the reviewers would say it is better to not set this. It will be more accurate if you do measure your stride by walking and running a flat, measured distance like a track. In my almost two years with a fitbit, I started with the default, then changed it with a poor measure, then measured it on a treadmill, then more recently on a track. It has been a lot more accurate since I used the treadmill and even more so with the track measurement. It mainly affects the distance calculation though not the number of steps. So if you care about the distance being close to accurate, and have access to a track it is a good practice to set it. For some the default settings are actually pretty accurate though.
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-12, 01:52 PM  
cooldham

Quote:
Originally Posted by slysam View Post
Great review Cooldham!

Thanks Sylsam! I hope some more people chime in with their reviews, this is usually my first stop for exercise-related info but the fitbit doesn't seem super popular around here.

Quote:
G I am not sure why the reviewers would say it is better to not set this.
I think the manufacturers were telling people not to worry, that it would accurately count their steps even if they did NOT set the stride.

Quote:
So if you care about the distance being close to accurate, and have access to a track it is a good practice to set it.
GREAT point and great idea. I was wondering why the distances weren't really matching.
Old 04-09-12, 08:22 PM  
Kimberly33

I just bought one recently, too. I think the most useful aspect of it for me is to see how much of my day is sedentary. When you upload the data, it shows you how much of your time is sedentary, light activity, moderate activity and high activity. It's scary! Now I try to get up and move around more during the day. I could get the 10,000 steps in in the evening, but I really hate seeing all the gray for the whole work day.

Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul
You've got to run like an antelope, out of control. (Phish)

Can't control the kittens!
Too many whiskers. Too many whiskers
(Sleep Talkin' Man)
Kimberly33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-12, 08:15 AM  
cooldham

Kimberly33, so true! It is really encouraging me to get up and take the long way to the printer, etc. It's turned being active into a game. I also like the badges you get...and the calorie adjustment to myfitnesspal, LOL!
Old 04-12-12, 10:06 PM  
Kimberly33

Cooldham-- I don't have to get up to go to the printer, but I use every bathroom break as an excuse to take a walk! I don't care as much about the badges themselves, I do like to hit 10K steps and 10 flights of stairs. I actually worry about the adjustments to Lose It since I already add my exercise there.

Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul
You've got to run like an antelope, out of control. (Phish)

Can't control the kittens!
Too many whiskers. Too many whiskers
(Sleep Talkin' Man)
Kimberly33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fit bit, fitbit