Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-12, 01:13 AM  
ddj
VF Supporter

I have the rumble roller and it is very solid. I have no doubt it will hold up.
Old 04-05-12, 02:16 AM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

All you foam roller users, don't forget the usefulness of balls as well. Tennis balls, hard rubber high bounce balls, softer pinky type balls, all get into places that even the fanciest rollers can't get into.

I've used foam rollers and balls for years, as well as a Thera-cane type curved massage stick all play a role in getting into various tight and sore places and making them better.

I've also managed to give myself bruises with the balls and thera-cane but figured out when to stop. Rollers aren't the only players in the myofascial release game.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-12, 09:42 AM  
homefitnessjunki

Smile Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darisa View Post
Mattie, this thing is solid and it will hold up well. I bought the larger size so I can do my legs together. The knobs will not bend. I bought it from Amazon on Monday and had it in my hands by 1 today.
Hi Darisa,

Thank you very much for your response. Sounds like it's well-constructed. Happy rollling!
homefitnessjunki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-12, 09:46 AM  
homefitnessjunki

Thumbs up Good Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer R View Post
All you foam roller users, don't forget the usefulness of balls as well. Tennis balls, hard rubber high bounce balls, softer pinky type balls, all get into places that even the fanciest rollers can't get into.
Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for the good advice and reminder.

I have been using tennis balls on this one spot located deep inside my scapula muscle. I can vouch that the pain release is just as intense. Generally, I use balls to release the tightness on smaller areas.
homefitnessjunki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-12, 02:11 PM  
michl43

I have the short grid roller, and two other long foam rollers. I was thinking about getting the rumble roller.

Rumble roller (blue one) question: How much "give" do the spikes have?

Grid roller: I really like mine. I used it last night after not using it for a long time, and since it is foam over a hard plastic, i could tell the difference from a regular foam roller. I'm glad to have it.

I just placed an order for the "Quadballer" that looks good too.

I also have a full back brookstone massager that i can also use on my arms & legs, that is awesome and get's deep, so i probably don't "need" the rumble roller too..
michl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-12, 02:58 PM  
Inchworm

Does anyone know of a roller to get into the hamstrings? I have the same Perform Better Foam Roller, but I don't feel it in hamstrings enough.

Thanks,

Kelly
Inchworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-12, 04:38 PM  
keilan00

I've tested both the blue and black versions of the Rumble Roller. I have the black extra firm version and it as hard as a rock and has absolutely no give. I use it for my shoulders and upper back to break up knots. It hurts too much for me to use on other parts of my body. I don't regret my purchase because I believe it has helped prevent migraines. I don't take any medications for my migraines. I normally suffer through 3 migraines per month but now I have 0 to 1 per month. My doctor had suggested physical therapy for my migraines but when I priced it out, I would need 2-3 visits per week for I don't know how long. Each appointment would be a $25 co-pay. This roller paid for itself in under a week.

When I want to pinpoint certain areas, I use a lacrosse ball. They are awesome if you need something firm.
keilan00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-12, 10:28 PM  
Kimberly33

Quote:
Originally Posted by keilan00 View Post
...When I want to pinpoint certain areas, I use a lacrosse ball. They are awesome if you need something firm.
And if you want something firmer than a tennis ball, but not as hard as a lacross ball, I *highly* recommend the "pinkie" balls (you can find them in a lot of toy stores--they are the same as Jill Miller's balls). They squish some, but not as much as tennis balls. They are really great for tender knots.

Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul
You've got to run like an antelope, out of control. (Phish)

Can't control the kittens!
Too many whiskers. Too many whiskers
(Sleep Talkin' Man)
Kimberly33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-12, 12:19 AM  
keilan00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly33 View Post
And if you want something firmer than a tennis ball, but not as hard as a lacross ball, I *highly* recommend the "pinkie" balls (you can find them in a lot of toy stores--they are the same as Jill Miller's balls). They squish some, but not as much as tennis balls. They are really great for tender knots.
I have 2 Pinky Hi Bounce Balls as well. One of them is 7 years old and I love it. The other one is 2 years old and I don't like it. Newer Pinky balls aren't constructed the same. The new ones smell of rubber and will dry out over time.

I think I purchased the lacrosse ball after reading one of your old posts!

I have a variety of balls including yamuna and miracle balls. Balls for every occasion!
keilan00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-12, 11:30 AM  
Jenn R

I have the blue shorter rumble. I have used it quite a bit and find it quite effective but still prefer the trigger point rollers better. I never bruised with them and felt they got deeper into my muscles.

Jenn r
Jenn R is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
foam roller, grid roller, rumbleroller