Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-02-12, 04:07 PM  
homefitnessjunki

Question Grid 2.0 Foam Roller vs Rumble Roller

Hi,

Originally, I posted a question on which foam roller to buy and had gotten helpful feedback.

I have been using the Perform Better Elite Molded foam roller for a while to get myself acclimated, so to speak. I'd say that it works wonders to relieve my IT band muscle tightness that leads to my lower back pain. In the beginning, I was in the world of hurt (a good kind of hurt, mind you. ) and was glad to get a regular foam roller to start out with.

Now I feel like there're other parts of my body that could benefit from a deeper massage action.

I know that Grid 2.0 is a good choice, but besides the durability, what does the Grid 2.0 surface feel like? Is the surface covered with foam? Will the surface wear out? Does the surface reach deep into the muscles like fingers?

On the other hand, I like the Rumble Roller. I am not sure if the Rumble Roller is built to last like Grid 2.0. I like Rumble Roller's bumpy surface and feel like it will reach deep into my muscles.

I'd really appreciate anyone's feedback on these two.

Thank you!
homefitnessjunki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-12, 12:07 PM  
homefitnessjunki

Red face Still Need Feedback

Sorry, I thought I would bump this question of mine up, just in case. If no one happens to know, that's okay, too.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-04-12, 04:46 PM  
Mickey12

I have the Grid 2.0 (the longer one). I believe the surface is the same for the shorter one and the longer one. The surface is covered in dense foam that is resistant to compression. The surface has three different areas, large rectangular areas which are supposed to mimic a hand palm; long thin areas which are supposed to mimic fingers and small triangle areas which are supposed to mimic deeper finger tip massage. Truthfully, I cannot tell much difference in the feeling of the surfaces except the little triangles are noticeable, but not to a great degree. I really like the Grid, and I thought the different surfaces would be a good feature, but I really can't notice much difference.

I can't comment on the rumble roller, but from seeing it in P90X2, it seems like it would hold up and not compress over time. If you already have a regular foam roller, I might go with the rumble roller because it is drastically different than a smooth roller and at least you could alternate between them.

I hope that helps.

Kim
Mickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-12, 04:48 PM  
Jenn R

I like the footballer that is on the www.tptherapy.com website. I have the grid and the rumble roller as well.

I find the curved roller gets into the muscles better then anything else. Best purchase ever, expensive but totally worth it. My right hip and IT band was very sore for 2 years and after using the runners kit 90% of my pain was gone. I couldnt even sit cross legged before using the footballer.

I find the rumble works well but leaves bruises and is more painful.

The grid is ok but i dont find the different ridges makes that much difference to me.

I like the travel roller a lot because you can get 3 massage balls inside it and it is foam covered. Www.travelroller.com

Jenn r
Jenn R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-12, 05:16 PM  
homefitnessjunki

Smile Thank You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey12 View Post
I really like the Grid, and I thought the different surfaces would be a good feature, but I really can't notice much difference.
Hi Kim,

Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate it. I think the Grid is definitely nice and holds up longer. Since I am trying to get a deeper massage, I think you just confirm the hunch I have regarding the question on the Grid's surface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey12 View Post
I can't comment on the rumble roller, but from seeing it in P90X2, it seems like it would hold up and not compress over time. If you already have a regular foam roller, I might go with the rumble roller because it is drastically different than a smooth roller and at least you could alternate between them.
I think I will opt for the rumble roller. I really need something to reach deep into the muscle, especially my quads and shoulders. Based on what I see from P90X2, I am sure the rumble roller will bring on a new level of myofascial release.

Thanks!
Old 04-04-12, 05:30 PM  
homefitnessjunki

Smile Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn R View Post
I like the footballer that is on the www.tptherapy.com website. I have the grid and the rumble roller as well.
Hi Jenn,

Thanks for the feedback. I will check out the footballer, too.

Besides quads, I have exactly the same issues with IT bands and hips as you did. It's good to know you finally find some relief. I can tell a difference ever since I started using foam rollers. There's still some residual pain, and the pain site is deep that my regular foam roller won't reach at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn R View Post

I find the rumble works well but leaves bruises and is more painful.
If you don't mind, could you share what kind of rumble roller you have? I would more than likely get a longer one. There're two different kinds - one is regular density, the other is extra firm.

I have read reviews that some people get bruised using extra firm rumble roller. I am just not sure if extra firm in this case means the rumble roller won't get compressed easily like molded smooth surface foam roller, or it simply means the knobs will dig really deep into the muscles.

Thanks!
Old 04-04-12, 07:47 PM  
Kimberly33

I have the Grid and agree with the others--I can't tell much of a difference between the surfaces. I like it because it's lighter and easier to carry than "regular" foam rollers, and it's a bit firmer. I'm not sure it's a significant enough difference to be worth buying one if you already have a foam one (except it's easier to pack for travel, because you can stuff clothes in it).

Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul
You've got to run like an antelope, out of control. (Phish)

Can't control the kittens!
Too many whiskers. Too many whiskers
(Sleep Talkin' Man)
Kimberly33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-12, 07:54 PM  
Darisa

I received the rumble roller today and let me tell you that baby is painful. It's a delicious pain (if that's possible ) but it goes deeper than the regular foam roller. I bought the blue one because I thought the black one (extra firm) would be too much and I was right.
Darisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-12, 08:44 PM  
homefitnessjunki

Wink Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darisa View Post
I received the rumble roller today and let me tell you that baby is painful. It's a delicious pain (if that's possible ) but it goes deeper than the regular foam roller. I bought the blue one because I thought the black one (extra firm) would be too much and I was right.
Hi Darisa,

Thank you for your feedback!

I know what you mean about the delicious pain! I am leaning towards the blue one as well.

Based on your first impression, is the blue one pretty solidly constructed, meaning not going to be easily compressed in a short time frame? Are the knobs themselves solid as well and won't be broken off easily? So far based on my research, it seems like the best place to get the rumble roller is through Amazon.

Thanks again & sorry for all the questions!
Old 04-04-12, 09:12 PM  
Darisa

Mattie, this thing is solid and it will hold up well. I bought the larger size so I can do my legs together. The knobs will not bend. I bought it from Amazon on Monday and had it in my hands by 1 today.
Darisa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
foam roller, grid roller, rumbleroller