Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-07, 08:09 PM  
BigBadBetty

I have been lurking for a while. I heard about this site through SparkPeople. I am returning to video fitness after a 10-year absence. I had let depression, anxiety, knee and ankle pain get between my physical health and me. I began exercising in January. I joined a gym in April. I began adding videos at about the same time.

I do most of my strength and flexibility training at home; cardio at the gym. I have limited space at home; many cardio DVDs need more room. I also can’t do anything too high impact because of my knees. I also have another disability; I was born without rhythm and coordination. It’s a sad affliction with no known cure. Although it does have one advantage: I never notice if an instructor can’t keep a beat.

I have a set of weights, yoga mat and a step. I am amazed at how many videos want you to have more stuff: high step, barbells, body bar, etc. I am in a tight financial position so I can’t afford that stuff now. I have gone a little crazy buying DVDs. I have bought a few lots off eBay. I have DVDs I haven’t done yet. I love having a whole stack to choose from.

Now for the personal stuff:

I am 35 and live in Madison, Wisconsin. I am a single mother to an adorable 10-year old pug. She snores on the couch while I do my DVDs.

Elizabeth aka Big Bad Betty
BigBadBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-07, 09:33 PM  
Carolyn Smith

Welcome BigBadBetty (Elizabeth)!

Welcome! Love the image of your sweet pug snoring on the couch while you work out!

I totally relate to the buying workouts like crazy...I've been at it a year now...hoping to slow down soon but I've never pre-ordered Cathe so thinking about it....birthday coming soon...hmmm. And also like you I have some that I've yet to try...but I really like it that way!
Old 07-03-07, 04:19 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Elizabeth - Welcome to VF! It's good you found us. You are right that so many videos require a lot of equipment. But, there are videos out there that don't. Hopefully, you will find some you like in what you have bought.
There are lots of people here at VF that have found some combination of gym and videos to work for them. And, that's the important part - finding what works for you. Good luck with your fitness journey.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-07, 03:44 PM  
new2me

Hello Elizabeth, welcome!!!!

The sudden precious moments in life need to be recognized for the unique periods they are, not wasted by wishing for something else. Edith Schaeffer
new2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-07, 03:50 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Hi BigBadBetty/Elizabeth,

Nice to meet you. I hear ya about the stuff requirements of many videos...it can get out of hand...but I'm reaching the point in my addiction that I don't mind....if I have the room for the stuff.

See ya around.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-07, 10:45 PM  
lindseylu8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S.
My brother teaches college-level math courses on military bases around Tokyo. That's what took him there. He's a civilian contractor - not in the military. He has also branched out into teaching a logic course at a Japanese university (in English).

Thats so interesting about your brother. I am impressed!! BTW-I just love that farside comic you sent w/ a video. I scanned it and sent it out to my mom and sister, they thought it was hillarious!

You can find a link to my fitness blog in my profile
lindseylu8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-07, 04:18 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindseylu8
Thats so interesting about your brother. I am impressed!! BTW-I just love that farside comic you sent w/ a video. I scanned it and sent it out to my mom and sister, they thought it was hillarious!
Lindsey - Glad you liked the Far Side. I think he's so funny. Warped, but funny.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 07-05-07, 08:27 PM  
BigBadBetty

Thanks for the welcome. I've already discovered this place can be dangerous. I just had to get a Classical Stretch DVD because of all the raves. I'd never even heard of it before!
BigBadBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-07, 05:29 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Uh. That happens a LOT here. When you have your credit card number memorized because of all you've ordered, you'll know you've arrived!

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 07-22-07, 04:06 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Talking

Hi everyone!

I have been a vf member for a few months but have only been perusing and using the video exchange and the reviews. I have made some great trades and learned a lot about instructors and workouts I had never heard of before. This is the first time I have looked at any discussions and decided it looks like too much fun to just lurk in the background.

I am an avid exerciser. I love yoga and toning workouts and I run with a group of women in my neighbourhood three times a week. My focus is on staying healthy and active. I am heading towards my 50th birthday this fall with some anxiety!

I have been married for 29 years to a great guy and have two adult sons and two dogs. I live on beautiful Vancouver Island. I am an RN and I work part time. I got into home exercising as it is so hard to get to classes when you have a strange irregular schedule.

Cheers!
Pam
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
former sticky, how did you find vf, introductions, new members, new to vf, new user, sticky thread