Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-07-22, 02:59 PM  
Tugger31

Question Workout Book suggestions needed

My 16 year old niece is interested in getting into strength training. She has a few sets of dumbbells at home and maybe resistance bands. She would just like to get a little stronger and not have spaghetti arms. She is a reader so a book with color illustrations and easy to understand form pointers would be great. Also she is interested in one with a progressive program to follow. Anything that uses too much equipment wouldn't be good due to space and she simply doesn't have it. A spiral bound book would be great or something that she isn't flipping back and forth between the program and the exercise description would be a bonus.

Thanks!
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-22, 03:08 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i heartily recommend Joyce Vedral's The College Dorm Workout, written with her daughter Marthe. you might be able to find this in the library.

Joyce also wrote Toning for Teens.

adults also like using the College Dorm Workout.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-22, 03:21 PM  
Tugger31

Thanks for that suggestion. The reviews say it only uses one set of 5 lb dumbbells. She has been doing some lifting and has been disappointed she is not making visible gains. Not sure exactly how many sets/weights etc she is using. Does this book allow for progression?

Thanks!

Also how similar are the two books you mentioned?
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-22, 03:37 PM  
Sissy B

Joyce Vedral’s Weight Training Made Easy is a good resource. Joyce uses 3 sets of dumbbells for the workouts in it and uses the pyramid system.
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-22, 11:49 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugger31 View Post
Thanks for that suggestion. The reviews say it only uses one set of 5 lb dumbbells. She has been doing some lifting and has been disappointed she is not making visible gains. Not sure exactly how many sets/weights etc she is using. Does this book allow for progression?

Thanks!

Also how similar are the two books you mentioned?
College workout - 1994
5# weights for all 3 sets
the reason it recommends just one pair of 5# weights is to keep it simple, and to apply "dynamic tension" (contracting the muscle to the full extent) and flexing. Joyce mentions that for some moves, lighter weights might be needed, like 3#.
-20 min/day (very little rest periods - go straight to the next move)
-split system (she has other rotations where you're doing TB on one day with rest days in between)
-3 sets of 10 reps, no rest in between sets
-UB has 15 moves
-LB has 12 moves including abs
-minimum is 4 days/week, 2 UB and 2 LB, but more days could be added
-can add aerobics on other days

Teens book - 2004
Joyce suggests using no weights at all in the first week just so that the person can get used to the moves. The following week, she says do the first set with weights, and the other 2 w/o weights.

-uses the pyramid system
-3 sets: 12 reps w/ lightest weights, 10 reps with medium, 8 with heaviest
-start with 1-3# weights once you start adding weights to the routine, and progress as you see fit to 2-5# weights
-split system - UB 2x/week, LB 2x/week. there's other plans shown in the book
-20 min each day whether it's UB or LB (20 min because there's very little rest periods, but she advises that you might need a little more time to get used to the moves)
-UB has 15 moves
-LB has 16 moves including abs
-aerobics can be done on non-weight days

Each book has photos of Marthe (in College workout book) or several young females (in Teens book) to demonstrate the moves. These books could be used by males too - no frou-frou stuff. Remember that Joyce used to write for Joe Weider publications.

comments by other VFers:
Quote:
Originally Posted by miso View Post
Okay, I"m a beginner to weight work, but I've done t-tapp and pilates. I've no weight to lose, but no muscle either, so keep that in mind. I've been doing jOyce's college dorm workout (from a 10 year old book, uses only one set of five pound weights, a chair and a phone book for calf work) actually with 3 lb weights for two weeks, and I'm already seeing results in upper and lower body very, very quickly. I'm thrilled. just thought i'd add this, don't know if it's applicable to most people's situations here. --Judy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anny View Post
...one of my sons does The College Dorm Workout or Toning for Teens and swears by them for time efficiency annd a good workout in a small space without having to go to the gym.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitloon View Post
I'm a particular fan of Joyce Vedral. I found her daughter Marthe's book The College Dorm Workout years ago, (before I got married ) and was so happy to find a workout that I could do in a a small space with some weights. I still know that routine by heart. I always go back to Joyce b/c her routines just work for me. Along with Leslie Sansone, whom I discovered just before I joined this forum.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-22, 02:07 PM  
edensmom

The Women's Health Big Book of Exercises might be good. It has full programs from Craig Ballantyne, Rachel Cosgrove, Val Waters, Jen Heath and more. It has an exhaustive list of exercises for every muscle group with instructions and just tons of info in general.
Also if she is not making visible gains as a begin er it may be time for her to look at diet.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-22, 02:27 PM  
Sissy B

Quote:
Originally Posted by edensmom View Post
The Women's Health Big Book of Exercises might be good. It has full programs from Craig Ballantyne, Rachel Cosgrove, Val Waters, Jen Heath and more. It has an exhaustive list of exercises for every muscle group with instructions and just tons of info in general.
I second this recommendation. It also has a section with several workout plans in the back.
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-22, 03:06 PM  
prettyinpink

I don’t know of a spiral bound option, but check out books by Rachel Cosgrove and see if she could adapt them. Even though a gym is better for some exercises, generally the Cosgrove’s books have a home dumbbell or band option for just about everything, from what I remember. And they are definitely keyed in toward strength progression.

The main thing I would be careful of with someone that young is books that include a lot of nutrition advice. I haven’t come across many that don’t. Though these days, there is social media with everyone who has a nutrition opinion.

With all that is online, it’s a little surprising but kind of nice that she is asking for a book! I have teens and I don’t think they go to books for information unless they are writing a paper for school or reading for fun.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-22, 05:37 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

Joyce's books are good and easy to follow. Usually they are pretty cheap if you don't mind used.
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-22, 09:54 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by edensmom View Post
Also if she is not making visible gains as a begin er it may be time for her to look at diet.
I also agree with this ^ recommendation. Lots of info and such a huge variety of targeted programs.

Another favorite of mine, which I am using now is: The Science of Strength Training by Austin Current. It's a DK Publishing book & I always enjoy and admire the depth of their content.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books, college dorm workout, joyce vedral, joyce vedral books, paper workouts, weight training