Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-04-21, 11:35 AM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Since we have been talking along those lines, one book about time travel that I read years ago (probably high school) and loved at the time was Robert Heinlein's The Door Into Summer. I've thought about re-reading but have never gotten around to it.
Beth, I read that book years ago and really liked it, though I'm not big on science fiction. Heinlein writes a good story that happens to be science fiction. I read it the year before I met my husband, so '81. He's a big science fiction fan so several years later when I told our cat there wasn't going to be a door into summer today he knew exactly what I was referencing. I've had occasion to explain that to several pets since then.

I just finished reading The Lost Husband by Katherine Center and then watched the movie on Netflix. They were both fun and light though with just enough substance. Good for what I wanted right now. They made a number of changes for the movie, mostly for condensation and more mass appeal, but some I didn't quite get why. It did not really feel like they messed up the story, just that there was much less of it so some of the relationships, their history and the development of new ones was much more condensed. Sharon Lawrence was really good as the self-centered mother.

I just started Elizabeth is Missing by Emma Healy. It's well written but unsettling. I'll be 67 next month and her writing of the experience of age-related memory loss is a bit hard for me to read even though there is no history of it in my family. And the mystery of what happened to Elizabeth and why Maud hasn't seen her recently (or has she?) is just one of many memory issues at this point in the book. PBS has a film of this starring Glenda Jackson that won some awards but I like to read the book first.

I now have a doctor's order to never again do push ups (yippee!)
KarenJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-21, 06:45 AM  
Carol K

I enjoyed the movie Elizabeth is Missing, but I felt that there was probably a lot left out, so I have the book on my to-read list.
Old 03-05-21, 06:49 AM  
Tugger31

https://www.amazon.com/Midnight-Libr...MEk2uDMpd5I_SA
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-21, 09:04 AM  
annette
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugger31 View Post
I finished The Midnight Library a few days ago. I liked the idea behind the story, that there are parallel universes in which you can exist, but found the main character, Nora, to be a bit of a whiner. This is the second book by Matt Haig I've read and do like the way he writes.
annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-21, 09:15 AM  
anetta

Thank you for posting the list.

I put the new Janet Evanovich on hold at the library.

Anita
anetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-21, 09:36 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annette View Post
I finished The Midnight Library a few days ago. I liked the idea behind the story, that there are parallel universes in which you can exist, but found the main character, Nora, to be a bit of a whiner. This is the second book by Matt Haig I've read and do like the way he writes.
I didn't like the book for a number of reasons, but it has high ratings so I know I'm in the minority.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-21, 12:23 PM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
I didn't like the book for a number of reasons, but it has high ratings so I know I'm in the minority.
Erica, a friend of mine also did not care for it. I read How to Stop Time a couple of years ago and remember absolutely nothing about it, so decided to pass on The Midnight Library

Right now I am listening to The Library Book by Susan Orlean, about the huge Los Angeles Central Library fire in 1986. I have a Masters in Library Science so the logistics of recovery and rebuilding is fascinating to me, as well as the arson investigation.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-21, 12:38 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercat View Post
Erica, a friend of mine also did not care for it. I read How to Stop Time a couple of years ago and remember absolutely nothing about it, so decided to pass on The Midnight Library

Right now I am listening to The Library Book by Susan Orlean, about the huge Los Angeles Central Library fire in 1986. I have a Masters in Library Science so the logistics of recovery and rebuilding is fascinating to me, as well as the arson investigation.
I read The Library Book and found it kind of boring. Another book that everyone loved and I was disappointed (I did like it, but maybe my expectations were too high). I must be very hard to please. Glad you are enjoying it!

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-21, 12:24 PM  
BunnyHop

Yesterday I started Dragon Champion by E. E. Knight.
It's a dragon's story, told from the perspective of the dragon.

I started it with fairly low expectations, but have been pleasantly surprised. I'm glad I picked up the second in the series at the same time.

Don't you love it when the library has an entire series you want to read?
Old 03-06-21, 05:18 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post

Erica
This is the wonderful thing about libraries. It looked good enough to try if I didn't have to pay for it. We'll see if it hold my attention once I get to it. (I have a LOT of books on my wish list at the library... )

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, reading, spring reading