Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-03-20, 01:34 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

I am 66 years old and over 10 years post menopausal. I've never been thin, but always muscular, with a waist.

Exercise NEVER made me lose weight, but I love the movement and feeling strong. At perimenopause I gained about 10 pounds and completely lost my waist.

I've never gotten it back, but my weight has stabilized at that point and I've been able to avoid the dreaded 1 pound a year weight gain.

This past summer was very stressful for me and I went through a couple of months of stress related NOT eating and lost about 5 pounds. As soon as things settled down and I began eating normally again, they came back but didn't bring any friends.

I exercise to maintain muscle and cardiovascular health as well as balance and flexibility. I do a LOT of walking, dance aerobics, swimming, alternating medium and low weights (knee and elbow issues have to be accommodated) and yoga and CS.

See what makes you feel good. My regimen works for me but as others have said everyone is different. No magic bullets unfortunately.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-20, 11:02 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

For me, food and exercise are now two separate issues. Since going through menopause, weight loss is about the food. Recently, I have found that my cardio capacity had really deteriorated, so I'm working on building that back up and fitting in strength as I can.

It has been interesting to see how I've changed over the years. It's a process to find out what works at different stages in life.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-20, 12:40 PM  
Rhonda

What I put in my mouth has always been the key for me.

since Thanksgiving I changed up my workout routine and really enjoying what I am doing. Boxing, heavy bag, and weights, mainly using KCM. I also make sure I get in at least 10,000 steps (yes workouts count into this number).

the weight is coming off again which is nice but most of it is due to what goes in mouth.

I think I have pretty much put the high impact stuff behind me.
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-20, 01:31 PM  
marki64

I agree with those that said it's about diet. It really is. Too many carbs, fats and processed foods will kill your workouts.

I am happy to not read, that "cardio makes me fat." Those statements irritate me.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-20, 02:32 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

For me, post menopause weight control is all about what I eat, or more often, what I don’t eat. I’ve gotten a pretty good handle on it after initially gaining a some extra lbs that I have since shed & so far kept off.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-20, 07:00 PM  
dmlarue1

Wow I am jealous of you all who could eat what you wanted in your 20s, i never could. I have always struggled with my weight. Exercise didnt help even thpugh i tried everything out there. Then we switched to antiinflammatory eating (no gluten lod white sugar). I lost 36 pounds and it wasnt hard. If I start eating any gluten or sugar i start putting weight back on again. So diet for weight loss and exericse to help manage stress and for strength
dmlarue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-20, 07:47 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

I could also eat anything and everything I wanted when I was young. Sadly, those days are long gone.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-20, 07:51 PM  
Gams

Time has a magazine on newsstands now called The Science of Weight Loss - it has some interesting articles.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-20, 09:47 PM  
hdw
VF Supporter

Watching this thread... I need to find something that works. I'm one year menopause. I've gained 8 lbs. High impact workout is behind me. I think the key is food and weight lifting but I have not made any stride on losing weight. I used to be skinny, sigh.
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-20, 02:24 PM  
Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by marki64 View Post
I agree with those that said it's about diet. It really is. Too many carbs, fats and processed foods will kill your workouts.

I am happy to not read, that "cardio makes me fat." Those statements irritate me.
LOL, cardio does make me fat. Seriously, I love cardio but have to limit it or I get lower belly fat. I do okay on limited low level steady state cardio. Prolonged/intense cardio gives me both insomnia and belly fat. Increased cortisol is likely the main culprit, even without the extra calories that can come from a cortisol increased appetite. Cortisol can cause shifts in body composition (muscle wasting, fat accumulation in the abdomen etc). These are well known side effects and well documented in the pharmaceutical versions of cortisol (prednisone) and in disease states of excess cortisol (Cushing's). You absolutely don't need extra calories to shift body composition and if you were on high dose steroids for a year, you would definitely become a believer. You would get muscle wasting and fat deposition in new places even if you could resist the increased appetite.

I get my best weight loss/maintenance with good diet, walking and some weight training. I have to be careful not to stress out my body with too much of any kind of exercise (though cardio seems to be the worst) or I can't lose weight. That is a harsh reality for a vidiot

Tags
aging, gall bladder, menopausal weight gain, menopause, multiple workouts per day, over 50, sleep, sparks, weight loss