Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-21-12, 04:30 PM  
MJ525

CLX and Resistance Bands

I just got CLX in a trade YAY!

She uses weights heavier than I anticipated, I was just wondering if anyone has used resistance bands exclusivly with this set. Do you think they could be just as effective?
MJ525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-12, 04:46 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

I have used resistance bands, but it's been a long time ago. It's definitely a different feeling than using weights, because you feel it on the way down/back with the band. I could go fairly heavy with weights, not so with a band. And, there's a bit of a learning curve and set up time with the band. Once you get it you're fine though. I think it depends on your goals and what you'd like to achieve. I just like having that as an option, when I want to switch things up.

Pam

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-12, 05:04 PM  
ilovemygreatdane

I agree with Pam. The bands are a different feeling than the weights. I have done both with CLX. At first I found the band set up a bit time consuming but once I got the hang of it I liked using them. I never went that heavy with weights either. Never got above 20 lbs and it worked great for me.
ilovemygreatdane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-12, 07:31 PM  
txfitmom

I have been using bands exclusively with CLX lately and loving it much more than when I used weights. I was bored with CLX when just using weights. I am also finding that I am working my abs more and really just my entire body because the bands require more balancing. I do have to mention one thing, I was doing TF the other day with bands and on the upper body workout, somehow when going from a pushup to a side plank (actually you don't use the band in this move) I pulled a muscle in my chest which caused my entire arm and shoulder to be affected. I was in extreme pain and had problems moving my arm, could not even lift it a few inches. It is fine now, but I will have to be much more careful of my movements. In CLX sometimes there are tricky moves as well, so you just have to be careful that you are in the proper alignment, etc.

Band work is definitely effective! I was not a believer until I tried it and I realized that so many exercises can be done to really work the muscles well just using bands, body weight, stability balls, etc. Some of the hardest workouts I own fit into this category. I have not lifted heavy weights in over 2 months and my arms look the best they have in a long time, my abs are much more defined/stronger core in general, and my legs are starting to thin out more. I think the combination of band work and pushups in CLX is what helped my upper body. I like that Chalene includes enough pushups, but not too much like STS. I have not been doing the cardio in CLX, just doing my own thing, mainly the elliptical or walking. In a couple more months when I finish my CLX band rotation I will post my results.
txfitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-12, 08:10 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

I've always wanted to try CLX but I don't have weights heavier than 10 lbs which I can combine up to 15 lbs. I'm just not in a financial position to buy heavier weights right now and I have no room to store them either. So does CLX come with a set of bands or do u buy the B-lines from BB? And how heavy are the bands you use?
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-12, 09:47 AM  
ilovemygreatdane

CLX came with a green band which is light but I used it for a lot of exercises. You can increase tension by shortening up the band. I also went to Sports Authority and got some Lifeline bands. They are similar to the BB bands. You can go to the store and play with them to see which ones you like. I do like the BB grip better because it's nicely padded.
ilovemygreatdane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-12, 10:09 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

To those of you who use bands, what color (amount of resistance) are you generally using? I'm not sure I could use a band without strangling myself in the process, but it might be worth a try.
Old 07-23-12, 10:48 AM  
txfitmom

Here is an article that talks about what the color of the resistance band means as far as strength:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/14...istance-bands/

Lately I have been using the red band the most because my green one deteriorated and I was too cheap to go buy a new one. I also have a blue band but find it incredibly difficult for certain moves that involve the shoulders or back. I can manage it for the biceps and possibly triceps, but that is it. So, you may find you need more than one depending on what exercise you are doing.

Something I have noticed with both CLX and TF is that I need a really long band (don't know if they make different lengths or not) or I have to modify by only using one foot on the band when they are doing moves where you stretch the band over your head. Also, there are some moves in CLX where she also uses a stretchy band (different kind of band) that you tie around your legs. You don't absolutely have to have it to do the moves, but it provides more of a challenge.
Old 07-23-12, 11:49 AM  
MJ525

Quote:
Originally Posted by txfitmom View Post

Something I have noticed with both CLX and TF is that I need a really long band (don't know if they make different lengths or not) or I have to modify by only using one foot on the band when they are doing moves where you stretch the band over your head. Also, there are some moves in CLX where she also uses a stretchy band (different kind of band) that you tie around your legs. You don't absolutely have to have it to do the moves, but it provides more of a challenge.
In Mindy's Awesome Strength the exerciser who uses the bands is on her knees when they do shoulder presses, would that work for TF and CLX or is there not enough transition time?
MJ525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-12, 02:08 PM  
txfitmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ525 View Post
In Mindy's Awesome Strength the exerciser who uses the bands is on her knees when they do shoulder presses, would that work for TF and CLX or is there not enough transition time?
That is an interesting idea, I never thought of that. I guess the reason why Chalene does it the other way is to get more of a total body workout, activate your abs more, work your legs more, etc. CLX has breaks between exercises so there is plenty of time to set up with the band in whatever way you need. When I was doing TF I found that she moves a lot quicker through the moves and sometimes I had to move the band around pretty quickly to keep up.

Tags
chalean extreme, chalene, chalene johnson, clx, resistance bands