Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-28-22, 09:23 AM  
donnamp

Rhonda - If I remember, I think I got an e-mail from her and then downloaded it from a link in the e-mail. I could be wrong. Maybe check your spam folder? If all else fails, I think I have a copy downloaded that I can send you. Just PM me if you can't find it and I'll search for it on my end.

Lori - I'm glad you have finally seen some positive results!! Changing the way we think about things is the hardest thing to do.

I have gained about 8-10 lbs, not sure if it is peri-meno/meno/pandemic or what...it isn't terrible b/c prior to this gain I had been somewhat underweight from stress (stress can affect me one of two ways - either I can't eat at all or I want to eat all the comfort food!) I'm generally ok w/ the extra weight - although I do have to get rid of some clothes and it is, of course, all in my lower abs, butt and thighs - but I would prefer not to gain any more.

I am slowly putting Pahla's principles in place. I do have the moderate exercise part down - b/c my body just can't take High Intensity or High Impact any more. But I do need to work on diet/nutrition/calories, hydration, sleep and mind management.

I'm trying to tackle one thing at a time.

January I was off the rails completely b/c I had some work done around my house and while it was a good thing overall, it was stressful and annoying having people in and out all day for the better part of the month.

February - I focused on making sure I got out for a bit of fresh air and sunshine. Since the pandemic I have been working from home full time and there were days I didn't go outside! Not good. So when the weather is above 32 and it is not raining or snowing I have gone out to walk w/ my dog even if it is just around the block.

March - I decided will be hydration month - got to get back to drinking enough water. Also something that is hard for me to do for some reason!

I'll decide what to focus on in April, May, and June! LOL!

I find I can't do Pahla's workouts - they were really irritating something in my back/hip - I mean, I still have issues there, but I think it is better than when I was just doing Pahla's workouts. I sorta wish I could do them - b/c I like the simplicity of them but it was just not worth it to have the nagging pain.

I am wrapping up Jessica's 4 Weeks of Fusion plan on her website. That worked well for me - I was even able to do the WS 3.0 workouts if I went light and followed Debbie and modified. I also gave myself permission to substitute workouts or take a day off if needed.

I really may try Pahla's workouts again at some point - maybe I can find some mods that would work. the trouble is, I'm not sure what exercise(s) she does that set off my back and hip so much which make it hard to modify!

My main workouts of late have been Jessica, Ellen, Lively Ladies, Silver & Fit, Senior Shape and Essentrics. Oh, I also like some Caroline Jordan and Leslie from time to time. I should also put some Jenny Ford into the mix.

Oh well....onward!

I think I will at least go back to listening to her Q&As they are motivating!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-22, 11:06 AM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post

Lori - I'm glad you have finally seen some positive results!! Changing the way we think about things is the hardest thing to do.
Thanks, Donna! I really appreciate it. I had one full week of 30 min light workouts every day, injury-free. My mind wants to do the harder/longer stuff but my body sure doesn't. That tug-of-war is my Everest I guess...

For me, it's 1000% the calories. Consistently logging what I eat every day is the only thing that works at this stage in my life.
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-22, 09:28 AM  
Rhonda

HI Donna,

Never received an email. Not sure what happened. If you do have a link and don't mind sharing, I would be grateful.

Nothing in SPAM folders. Probably went to the same place that Jessica's February newsletter did : )
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-22, 10:09 AM  
donnamp

Hi!

Rhonda - I think my link is expired, but I must have a copy of of it downloaded, do you want to PM me your e-mail address and I can send you the book?

Lori - yay, an injury free week! Unfortunately for those of us who actually enjoy exercising, I think that is the least important part of weight loss at this stage in life - I think the other things, calories, sleep, hydration and mindset play more of a role.

Today is the start of my hydration challenge month - gotta get my water in - something I will no longer struggle with soon!

Random question - for those that do Pahla's workouts - do you do them barefoot like her or with shoes? I always did them barefoot - but I'm wondering if that could be the reason why they bother my back/hip? I mean, I do other stuff barefoot- fusion, Ellen, Essentrics, etc. I wonder if wearing shoes would make a difference?

I don't know, I'm just really nostalgic for Pahla - I like the simplicity and even the talking - it is motivating to me.

Donna
Old 03-01-22, 11:02 AM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post
Thanks, Donna! I really appreciate it. I had one full week of 30 min light workouts every day, injury-free. My mind wants to do the harder/longer stuff but my body sure doesn't. That tug-of-war is my Everest I guess...

For me, it's 1000% the calories. Consistently logging what I eat every day is the only thing that works at this stage in my life.
I've been reading a book by Timothy Caulfield, The Cure for Everything. It has chapters on Exercise, Diet, Genetics, and Remedies. It's mainly about how media and marketing have promoted a lot of myths about health. It was written in 2012, so some of the info is outdated, at least I thought his exercise recommendations were outdated. He said the experts recommended heavy weights with barbells and HIIT workouts. That you had to workout intensely and moderate wasn't optimal for health. I think the current information counters that, that moderate is actually better, especially for seniors. Weight training is beneficial, but not everyone has access to barbells, at least I don't. However, science is constantly changing with new information.

However, he did consult with a lot of nutrition experts in Canada for diet. And what struck me the most was that he said the human body is a very efficient machine and we don't need that much food. As we age, everyone (and he means everyone!) will gain weight every year. It's extremely hard in our culture to lose weight because we are surrounded by high calorie food and large portions. It is possible to keep it off, but it's a lifestyle change and it's hard work. About 10% of those who lose it keep it off. Keeping track as you are doing is one recommendation from the book. I guess I can't list the rest, or I'll get into diet info, but I did find it interesting. If everyone knew this and believed it, the whole diet industry would fail, lol. In some ways it was depressing info, but in some ways freeing, if that makes sense!

I've lost ten pounds in the last three months due to tooth issues. I've had three crowns and a root canal. It's not a diet I would recommend, it involves quite a bit of pain lol. But I've learned that I can't eat much if I want to be at this weight. Once my mouth heals, I'm sure I'll gain some back, just hoping not all of it.
Old 03-01-22, 11:38 AM  
kat999

Good info! Yes, I think HIIT and weight training are great (and even is high intensity) but you just can't do that to your body every day. And there's something really soothing about a long, steady-state or mixed low-impact interval workout. Honestly, more than any workout video or system, the thing I get the best endorphins and results from is doing long distance outdoor intervals of walking, jogging, and running. It doesn't burn a ton of calories, I don't go for speed, but it's so deeply soothing, and I do usually lose weight when that's my primary form of exercise (usually in spring, parts of summer, and fall).

Following Pahla's advice, I've finally lost almost 3 lbs. since the end of January.
Old 03-01-22, 11:53 AM  
donnamp

Kat - I agree, long, steady state cardio is very calming to me, too.

Donna
Old 03-01-22, 01:20 PM  
Leonana

Kat, I agree too!

Tags
menopause, pahla bowers, perimenopause