Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-06-23, 02:38 PM  
Negin

Although this is an older thread, I'm happy that I found it. I've been wondering about gliding, since Jessica Smith has quite a few gliding routines on her site. No, I don't think that I want to try it. I could see myself hurting my knees or something.
Old 06-06-23, 03:19 PM  
Leonana

I don’t like gliding, but have made myself do it in the past. I have gliders from Walmart. The side for hard floors works well, but not the carpet side. Since I have a large area rug in my bedroom where I work out, I don’t use them. They just won’t slide on the rug. I do the move without the glider.
Old 06-06-23, 09:08 PM  
angie_nrs

I don't like doing fast moves on the gliders, but i don't mind the slower moves. The one routine where I really like the gliders is Cathes Legs & Abs. I just love that DVD. She doesn't rep you to death with them and the pace isn't frantic so it works well for a bit of variety.

I have the furniture movers b/c I have carpet under my rubber mat. When the sliders come out, I just move back to the carpet area and they work great. I have the orange sliders Cathe sold a while back and I don't like those at all b/c they are much too grippy. I have the round moving men and other oval shaped furniture sliders that work really well on carpet.

I like the sliders when Cathe uses them in stretches for shoulders and arms. I loathe them for burpees and push up jacks. For those I just do them without the sliders b/c it's just not worth the potential injury.
Old 06-06-23, 09:09 PM  
angie_nrs

Double post....
Old 06-06-23, 09:53 PM  
prettyinpink

I like it for slow strength moves now and then, nothing quick.

Gliders are really great for lying hamstring work. I forget what the exercise is called. It’s like rollouts on a ball when you lie on your back, but using the gliders instead. One-legged with these is hard, and there aren’t that many home exercises that hit the hamstrings like that.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-23, 03:25 PM  
kat999

I like the glider work in Jessica's newer workouts; most of it is very slow, and I don't feel super unsafe or anything. I got the gliders specifically to do these, and then I've been using them in older Tracie Long workouts where I had previously just used paper plates. I don't think I'd like them in cardio. I've used paper plates before in in-person barre classes and enjoyed how they really targeted deep muscle work.
Old 06-07-23, 08:01 PM  
Lannette

I really like glider work. I used to hate it but Cathe converted me. I love her Low Impact Gliding Cardio Workout! It’s only 21 minutes long and is a fun add on.

It’s been a long time since I did Tracie Long’s glider work. I don’t remember particularly loving or hating it but I didn’t have as good a gliding set up or gliders for that matter. I need to revisit her DVDs. Thanks for the reminder.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glider workouts, gliders, gliding, gliding discs, gliding workouts