Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-20-08, 11:30 AM  
naturallove

Question Which pilates videos have the best side kick series (or variations)?

I was doing Winsor Bun and Thigh this morning and thought that this was getting to be a bit on the easier side (but not easy)! On the other hand, the side kick series variations in Jules Benson's workout are always tough! I really need to do these more regularly so that I don't lose the strength gains in my hip stabilizers. Can anyone recommend pilates (or fusion) videos with challenging and interesting side kick series?
naturallove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-08, 03:41 PM  
KathAL79

Natural, well, we know you already have Jules Benson's Total Core Pilates!

A few that quickly came to mind:

- Ana Caban's Intermediate Pilates Mat Workout has probably the longest series of classical Pilates side-lying leg series. The program itself is probably low int., and the camera work leaves a little to be desired. (VF Reviews)

- Tracy York's Quick Fix Pilates (found on the OOP Quick Fix Total Mix Pilates & Yoga - or is it Yoga & Pilates?) has a 10-min. segment that is, IIRC, entirely a side-lying leg series, with a good mixture of traditional matwork plus a few more innovative or at least lesser known exercises. (VF Reviews)

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-08, 04:53 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Fit Chic with Niedra Gabriel has a very good side kick series, as does Jennifer Kries' Precision Toning.
Old 12-22-08, 11:21 PM  
Colleen
VF Supporter

Winsor Pilates Power Sculpt Buns & Thighs is similar to the original, but a resistance band is used.

You might be able to add a resistance band to the original Buns & Thighs. I've never tried this, so I'm not sure whether you'd have enough time to set up without pausing the DVD. You'd place the band around the foot for the side series and wrap it around the thighs a couple of inches above the knees for "fetal thighs".

If I had a nickel for every time I've had to prove that exercise can work without pain, I'd be a very rich woman.
- Pilates teacher Brooke Siler
Colleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-08, 01:53 AM  
GeminiGLB

There is a lying side chapter in Karen Voight's "Core Essentials" workout that I enjoy. Collage shows about 5 seconds of it in their clip. I usually do the table work, too, with the 3lb weighted balls.
GeminiGLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-08, 07:00 AM  
Suzan66

iBallet 11 has a 13 min side series which I like to do as an add-on.
Suzan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-08, 07:37 AM  
Cowgirl32

The new squeeze stronger has a great lying on your side leg series-- kind of like an updated version of winsor buns and thighs-- it makes me hurt more =-0 !

and MTV Pilates mix has an add on workout that is all leg workout and that one's quite the little burner too