Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-20, 12:40 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by annette View Post
Well, it's official. My furlough status becomes "unemployed" as of July 25. I suppose I'm retired now!! Looking forward to figuring out what I want to do with this new chapter in my life.
WOW ! Good for you !!!! Must be such a relief. And a severance package too - yippee!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-20, 07:18 AM  
sherry7899

Congratulations, Annette! I am so happy for you !

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-20, 04:51 PM  
TracyQ

Congratulations Annette. I’m happy for you.

I went back to the office yesterday after being home since March 13. I take the subway. I keep going back and forth on whether it’s worth the risk.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-20, 05:06 PM  
Carol K

Do you have limits to the number of people in a train car, Tracy? We do here in Chicago. But I drive to work, because otherwise I would have to take two trains and it's time waster. I start back on next Wednesday, just two days a week, three days at home, like I did before the pandemic.
Old 07-01-20, 06:13 PM  
TracyQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol K View Post
Do you have limits to the number of people in a train car, Tracy? We do here in Chicago. But I drive to work, because otherwise I would have to take two trains and it's time waster. I start back on next Wednesday, just two days a week, three days at home, like I did before the pandemic.
Thats a good question Carol and I’m not sure of the answer. It wasn’t too crowded but I think it’s because a lot of the city is still shut down. We are only working at 25% capacity so I will be alternating days going in only 2 days per week to start anyway. The city was pretty empty and the Dunkin Donuts where I get my coffee was all boarded up due to the looting that took place after George Floyd’s murder. So that was a little disheartening.

It’s a different world than the one I left on March 13th. It’s hard to believe how so much has changed in just a few short months.

Old 07-02-20, 08:12 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyQ View Post
Congratulations Annette. I’m happy for you.

I went back to the office yesterday after being home since March 13. I take the subway. I keep going back and forth on whether it’s worth the risk.
Good luck on the subway Tracy. I hope commuters are being intelligent about it.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-20, 03:00 PM  
TracyQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Good luck on the subway Tracy. I hope commuters are being intelligent about it.
Thanks Pat. We had one woman on our car that had her mask pulled down around her neck. I swear she was looking for a fight. No one spoke up.

My company/boss is fine with us coming in later (and leaving later) so we don’t have to commute during the rush hour. As much as I have been enjoying working from home, surprisingly it was kind of nice to break up the week by going into the city.

Old 10-10-20, 04:59 PM  
TracyQ

I’m retiring . I certainly wasn’t planning on retiring (I’m only 57 after all) but due to many changes at work—my immediate supervisor and his supervisor were let go. Then my job changed drastically and I found myself not really even knowing what I was supposed to be doing after 32-years on the same job. So I made the painful decision to leave a lucrative salary for a small pension and peace of mind. It took me 3-weeks to come to terms with my decision (not able to eat or sleep, severe anxiety) but now I’m ok.

I plan on taking the holidays off and then looking for a job with less responsibility to supplement my pension and help with insurance.

Old 10-10-20, 05:04 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyQ View Post
I’m retiring .
congratulations - more in terms of making the decision to leave. given that your bosses left, it was a good idea.

i applied for a couple of federal jobs on the usajobs website. i have never seen so many open positions located in my city since having opened an account with them >5 years ago.

if there's anyone working in the federal govt, please provide me with some encouragement! this is a big step for me. i'm still in my current job and will stay put until i have an offer.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-20, 05:16 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Tracy - Congrats on making the decision. You'll wonder how you ever got everything done that you did when working once you have the chance to relax some.

jeannine - I'm not currently working for the federal government but when we lived in MD, I was a government contractor and my husband was an employee (for 37 years). Getting a government job is hard, even when you are in it, but it's certainly doable. DH had multiple jobs at three agencies in his career. You just need to wait until the right one comes along. Is your current job with the government? If not, one thing to keep in mind is that on a government resume, list EVERYTHING you've ever done. I always called it the "kitchen sink" resume. DH's resume was always so much longer than mine. That's because you need to give them every possible thing that they could count toward the job you're applying for. Anyway, it's definitely doable. Good luck!

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
career, career advice, coronavirus, covid-19, job application, retirement